Toothpaste

Found 10th Dec 2017
So I went shopping the other day to get some toothpaste and was baffled by the choice we had on offer. Apart from the numerous manufacturers and supermarkets doing their own version I found that each manufacturer had about five or more different types with prices ranging from about 50p to about £3.50 for a tube with at least three different sizes 75ml, 100ml and 125ml.

Now it seems to me that manufacturers are coming up with a new toothpaste every other week with description like Extra, Pro, Whitening, Sensitive, Maximum, Formula, Advance, Deep, Repair, Diamond, Luminous, Expert, Long Lasting, Daily, Total and Proof to name a few.

On top of this we have Cavity, Micro cleaning crystals, Fluoride, Antibacterial, Gum protection etc...

Gone are the days when it was an easy decision you bought a toothpaste with fluoride and that’s it.

I must have spent a good 20 minutes before buying my usual branded toothpaste which has gone up yet again .

So my point being is that rather than coming up with a new flavour of toothpaste why don’t manufacturers give a smaller range with reasonable pricing.

Does anyone pay attention to all these fancy terminology.

Which one do people go for and why?

If there are any Dentists out there maybe they could recommend what type of toothpaste we should be buying.

Some appear to be obvious like gum protection if you need it.

There was a BBC Watchdog piece several years ago where they ended up concluding that it did not really matter which one to get as long it had fluoride and protect gums .

So what do people think. Am I the only one?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
haritori19 m ago

I like it Deep, Long Lasting and Daily, by an Expert Pro which usually …I like it Deep, Long Lasting and Daily, by an Expert Pro which usually results in a Total Whitening

Filth
I like it Deep, Long Lasting and Daily, by an ExpertPro which usually results in a Total Whitening
Edited by: "haritori" 10th Dec 2017
splender13 m ago

They have a Ministry of Product Positioning (MPP)in every large company . …They have a Ministry of Product Positioning (MPP)in every large company . They are largely a bureaucracy, replacing civil servants of old. Formerly civil servants had been employed in detailed government policy and specifications as to what was needed for your welfare (with zero profit costing), these latter day ministries in companies do further welfare for you with higher value-add specifications.

Eh, has this been through Google Translate...?
After seeing on TV a few weeks back about they all have to meet the UK standard for parts per million fluoride... We use tesco own 50p.. It's really good to.. 1450 ppm f...They said if you don't need sensitive paste buy the cheap stuff.. So we do
Edited by: "wayners" 10th Dec 2017
37 Comments
I stick with the sensidine brand, as I had issue with a sensitive tooth the other year. Tried that a day or 2 later it went. Every so often it comes back usually when I try a different brand of tooth paste.

I don't mind spending £2-2.50 on a tube. I never buy it at full price. Usually buy a replacement way before my tube runs out as it's on sale.
After seeing on TV a few weeks back about they all have to meet the UK standard for parts per million fluoride... We use tesco own 50p.. It's really good to.. 1450 ppm f...They said if you don't need sensitive paste buy the cheap stuff.. So we do
Edited by: "wayners" 10th Dec 2017
They simply want to make a profit, just get the cheap stuff.
It sounds as if this is your first attempt to purchase toothpaste.
What have you been using all these past years?
They have a Ministry of Product Positioning (MPP)in every large company . They are largely a bureaucracy, replacing civil servants of old. Formerly civil servants had been employed in detailed government policy and specifications as to what was needed for your welfare (with zero profit costing), these latter day ministries in companies do further welfare for you with higher value-add specifications.
Edited by: "splender" 10th Dec 2017
I like it Deep, Long Lasting and Daily, by an ExpertPro which usually results in a Total Whitening
Edited by: "haritori" 10th Dec 2017
Tecnhically nearly all of the efficiency of hygiene is in the duration of brushing with small toothbrushes plus using Tepe equivalent brushing or flossing. By the way, using saline solution, using cheapest table salt, is good for rinsing.
splender13 m ago

They have a Ministry of Product Positioning (MPP)in every large company . …They have a Ministry of Product Positioning (MPP)in every large company . They are largely a bureaucracy, replacing civil servants of old. Formerly civil servants had been employed in detailed government policy and specifications as to what was needed for your welfare (with zero profit costing), these latter day ministries in companies do further welfare for you with higher value-add specifications.

Original Poster
Bestard21 m ago

It sounds as if this is your first attempt to purchase toothpaste.What …It sounds as if this is your first attempt to purchase toothpaste.What have you been using all these past years?

Haha wife gets it usually . Have been using Colgate Total.
Original Poster
davewave27 m ago

They simply want to make a profit, just get the cheap stuff.

That’s what I thought. Would be good to have an opinion from a Dentist.
haritori19 m ago

I like it Deep, Long Lasting and Daily, by an Expert Pro which usually …I like it Deep, Long Lasting and Daily, by an Expert Pro which usually results in a Total Whitening

Filth
splender45 m ago

You've outdone yourself there Splender.
Edited by: "Bestard" 10th Dec 2017
davewave37 m ago

It has been through my own artificial intelligence engine, may be its algorithmn needs some normalisation to reality from level 9 (out of 10) imagination. Google's AI may have lots of spins, be warned, if you haven't noticed this in the way it brings up products what you may like to buy.
Bestard10 m ago

You've outdone yourself there Splender.

Thank you, I am always working hard towards excellence.
sydney87130 m ago

That’s what I thought. Would be good to have an opinion from a Dentist.

A hygenist could easily tell you what you want to know, book an appointment to clean your teeth ready for Santa for about £60.
haritori59 m ago

Should be doing it twice daily.... ;-0
leemg333 m ago

Should be doing it twice daily.... ;-0

Oh yes uh toothpaste just say yes kids
Edited by: "Wongy110" 10th Dec 2017
@sydney871

"...If there are any Dentists out there maybe they could recommend what type of toothpaste we should be buying..."

32690883-HUuUl.jpg
[ hotukdeals.com/com…583 ]
I don't mind, it stops me getting bored. I like the grainy Oral B stuff. It has made my teeth noticeably whiter and healthier.

I started on the blue sensitive stuff, moved on to the whitening one when my gums got well enough for the sensitively to go away. Now I'm on the white boxed glam shine whitening one. The toothpaste is silver and glittery, which makes me smile.

Next time I want to get the new tooth repair one. I saw a video of teeth bring re-calcified a few years ago. It was amazing. I want to know if it does that yet.

It's been a journey and I never pay more than £2 - £2.50 a tube.
@sydney871

"...So my point being is that rather than coming up with a new flavour of toothpaste why don’t manufacturers give a smaller range with reasonable pricing..."

What flavours have you tried?

Presumably some variant of mint.

Do any of these tickle your tastebuds?...

32690931-XqUDf.jpg32690931-3igcQ.jpg32690931-RUgXp.jpg
They discontinued my favourite toothpaste
32690975-7972J.jpg
Bad times
I am using a black toothpaste at the moment, won't bother again - thought it would make a change but no difference in outcome
Its simple some has a poison in it that causes brittle bones, most have silica in it to sand your teeth down, but some has more then others, those ones used to be sold as smokers toothpaste but now they are sold as whitening as thats the new market, add bleeching agents and you got ultra whitening.

Tbh I've never seen anti bacterial sounds stupid, some has something that acts as a disinfectant called xylatol or something i think (or is that the whitening agent?) Whatever it is it was originally added to the gum in MREs then later mouthwash, its been shown to be pointless if you have ample water around and rinse your mouth out properly like a wine taster sucks it over the teeth it gets rid of more bacteria then mouthwash and having it in toothpaste is rather pointless as its not getting between the teeth.

Buy what you like the taste off its all just sanding your teeth
Segata-Sanshiro35 m ago

Its simple some has a poison in it that causes brittle bones, most have …Its simple some has a poison in it that causes brittle bones, most have silica in it to sand your teeth down, but some has more then others, those ones used to be sold as smokers toothpaste but now they are sold as whitening as thats the new market, add bleeching agents and you got ultra whitening.Tbh I've never seen anti bacterial sounds stupid, some has something that acts as a disinfectant called xylatol or something i think (or is that the whitening agent?) Whatever it is it was originally added to the gum in MREs then later mouthwash, its been shown to be pointless if you have ample water around and rinse your mouth out properly like a wine taster sucks it over the teeth it gets rid of more bacteria then mouthwash and having it in toothpaste is rather pointless as its not getting between the teeth.Buy what you like the taste off its all just sanding your teeth

Xylitol is a 'tooth safe' type of sugar. It just makes toothpaste sweet.
Original Poster
In third world countries they use twigs to clean teeth. Sounds effective.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…wig
Am I the only one?

You're the only one who is inefficient in your shopping habits i.e. doesn't combine toothpaste buying with other grocery products. And then spends 20 minutes of your life standing in front of shelves containing the same item.

I hope you're not driving to the shops/supermarket to buy said toothpaste, that would be extremely reckless and irresponsible. Polluting the air as you go.
I've a good mind to write to my MP or Points of View about you.

If you like alternative then these , Neem Basil and Clove, are a good starting point ....

ebay.co.uk/itm…fua
wish i could say 'cool story bro' but...
MSK.5 h, 16 m ago

I don't mind, it stops me getting bored. I like the grainy Oral B stuff. …I don't mind, it stops me getting bored. I like the grainy Oral B stuff. It has made my teeth noticeably whiter and healthier. I started on the blue sensitive stuff, moved on to the whitening one when my gums got well enough for the sensitively to go away. Now I'm on the white boxed glam shine whitening one. The toothpaste is silver and glittery, which makes me smile.Next time I want to get the new tooth repair one. I saw a video of teeth bring re-calcified a few years ago. It was amazing. I want to know if it does that yet.It's been a journey and I never pay more than £2 - £2.50 a tube.

I like that stuff. Mainly because my sister is a dentist and gave me a huge box of those free samples. Didn't have to buy toothpaste for a year. Free is my favourite flavour
MSK.5 h, 30 m ago

I don't mind, it stops me getting bored. I like the grainy Oral B stuff. …I don't mind, it stops me getting bored. I like the grainy Oral B stuff. It has made my teeth noticeably whiter and healthier. I started on the blue sensitive stuff, moved on to the whitening one when my gums got well enough for the sensitively to go away. Now I'm on the white boxed glam shine whitening one. The toothpaste is silver and glittery, which makes me smile.Next time I want to get the new tooth repair one. I saw a video of teeth bring re-calcified a few years ago. It was amazing. I want to know if it does that yet.It's been a journey and I never pay more than £2 - £2.50 a tube.

You pay more for your cat's toothpaste
deeky8 m ago

You pay more for your cat's toothpaste

True that, a lot more! toothpaste does make him happier than it makes me though.
psychobitchfromhell25 m ago

I like that stuff. Mainly because my sister is a dentist and gave me a …I like that stuff. Mainly because my sister is a dentist and gave me a huge box of those free samples. Didn't have to buy toothpaste for a year. Free is my favourite flavour

I had a free blue one from the dentist. I used it, but I was a little upset it wasn't the silver glitter one the whole time. I don't like making toothpaste compromises, it's a miserable enough experience without doing that.

I had a billion of those little Colgate tubes, from when they were free. Ending up giving them all away. Colgate isn't remotely sparkly and it's far too minty.
Edited by: "MSK." 10th Dec 2017
Joey.Bloggsy2 h, 20 m ago

If you like alternative then these , Neem Basil and Clove, are a good …If you like alternative then these , Neem Basil and Clove, are a good starting point ....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dabur-Herbal-Toothpaste-Neem-100ml-Basil-100ml-Clove-100ml-Combo-Pack-3-in-1/232436834811?epid=2135876297&hash=item361e50a1fb:g:~nYAAOSw5j9Zhfua

I bet that would kill nits too. Bonus.
MSK.7 m ago

I had a free blue one from the dentist. I used it, but I was a little …I had a free blue one from the dentist. I used it, but I was a little upset it wasn't the silver glitter one the whole time. I don't like making toothpaste compromises, it's a miserable enough experience without doing that.I had a billion of those little Colgate tubes, from when they were free. Ending up giving them all away. Colgate isn't remotely sparkly and it's far too minty.

A girl needs her sparkle. Those little tubes are great for travelling. I've all but run out now. Should've asked her if she had any more when I saw her the other week. Back to buying it now. Got some Colgate and it tastes rank.
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

A girl needs her sparkle. Those little tubes are great for travelling. …A girl needs her sparkle. Those little tubes are great for travelling. I've all but run out now. Should've asked her if she had any more when I saw her the other week. Back to buying it now. Got some Colgate and it tastes rank.

I looked last time I was at the dentist, but they were all gone. I hope they still make them.
MSK.21 m ago

I looked last time I was at the dentist, but they were all gone. I hope …I looked last time I was at the dentist, but they were all gone. I hope they still make them.

She gave me a whole box full. You know the boxes they leave out on the reception desk? She has her uses. Pity she lives 250 miles away.
Original Poster
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell4 h, 57 m ago

Am I the only one?You're the only one who is inefficient in your shopping …Am I the only one?You're the only one who is inefficient in your shopping habits i.e. doesn't combine toothpaste buying with other grocery products. And then spends 20 minutes of your life standing in front of shelves containing the same item.I hope you're not driving to the shops/supermarket to buy said toothpaste, that would be extremely reckless and irresponsible. Polluting the air as you go.I've a good mind to write to my MP or Points of View about you.

Nope walk to the supermarket and btw was there to buy other grocery items only essential ones .
Recently I've been trying the jason seafresh one and splat biocalcium both fluoride free .i think the best way is to make your own if you have the time
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants