Top cashback wants my ID

Posted 30th Jan
Hi all
Last week I signed up for BTs fibre broadband offer via Top Cashback. I signed up especially to claim it. I wrote the password down and firefox also saved it. I logged into the site later on, either later that day or the day after and i could see the £70 or so cashback had been acknowledged. The day after I tried to log in and the site wouldn't let me in. I tried the password prompt but got no email back. I have now logged a support call but they have replied that they cannot take it any further unless i send them my photo ID.
No other websites have ever asked it of me.
Has anyone else had this? I don't really want to be sending photo ID over the internet to who knows where. I don't like being ripped off either.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
If its through their support ticket then shouldn't be an issue.
is your issue with topcashback or BT?
I think if you look at the terms it might say you need an authorised attached bank account to claim the cashback on services like BT & NPower etc.
Quidco certainly do & if you haven't got this then they will ask for further details. Too many fraudsters about.
bally1234530/01/2020 20:00

Why not? Its still some unknown getting my ID. Why on earth do they need it? I sent them the welcome emails. I just want to get into my account.

Willy_Wonka30/01/2020 21:19

I think if you look at the terms it might say you need an authorised …I think if you look at the terms it might say you need an authorised attached bank account to claim the cashback on services like BT & NPower etc. Quidco certainly do & if you haven't got this then they will ask for further details. Too many fraudsters about.

Well I hadn't put my bank details in fortunately but the thought that some scamp had pinched my account so he could claim the cashback himself had crossed my mind.
joncfc30/01/2020 22:26

Why not? Its still some unknown getting my ID. Why on earth do they need …Why not? Its still some unknown getting my ID. Why on earth do they need it? I sent them the welcome emails. I just want to get into my account. Well I hadn't put my bank details in fortunately but the thought that some scamp had pinched my account so he could claim the cashback himself had crossed my mind.

No one has stole your account. The reason they do it is because people steal off of them.
Willy_Wonka30/01/2020 22:29

No one has stole your account. The reason they do it is because people …No one has stole your account. The reason they do it is because people steal off of them.

Where is my £70 then? Any ideas?
joncfc30/01/2020 22:38

Where is my £70 then? Any ideas?

I think if you prove your ID/Bank Account you will get it. It is not uncommon. Loads of people (even some on this site) used to defraud/take advantage of the cashback sites. If you call them up & offer a copy of your Council Tax or a Utility Bill they will probably be ok with it.

But you won't get cashback for at least 3 or 4 months in any case. You need to read the Terms & Conditions of the deal. No one is conning you & it is not unusual for a new member to be asked for full information. If they have your bank details then how are you going to commit fraud without there being a trace?
Submit your passport, but redact all personal information they do not already have, and tag it as exclusively for the stated purpose. Like this:

39802384-3DyWV.jpg
you always need a bank account when you set up the account. how else are you going to claim the cashback. it also helps them to determine if someone is creating duplicate accounts as you would need more than one bank account to do that.

i suspect they have locked your account because they think you have created a duplicate account to claim the cashback, although i don't think it applies to the offer that you are referring to. as you didn't submit your bank account when you opened the account, it has probably been flagged up as duplicate.

they want to see your ID to prove that it is a legitimate account and not a duplicate one. a tracked transaction does not necessarily mean it will pay out anyway.
bally1234530/01/2020 20:00

If an organisation has no method of verifying the ID it is wholly inappropriate for that organisation to request such sensitive personal information.
Alternatively: if an organisation has no method of verifying the ID then the requestee can simply concoct whatever ID is requested.
Clearly, the concept of complying with the request somehow subsequently proving the requestee's ID is completely farcical and appears to be nothing more than a tickbox exercise to show that the organisation has paid lip service to any customer ID expectation of its merchant partners where that expectation may be more suitably discharged by alternative routes.
Pájaro30/01/2020 23:12

Submit your passport, but redact all personal information they do not …Submit your passport, but redact all personal information they do not already have, and tag it as exclusively for the stated purpose. Like this:[Image]

Cheers. I'll do that. I'm a little unsure about it as in the 20 years I've been online I've never had to send photo ID to prove identify to get my website password back.
Sounds like a scam . That's what security questions are for .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants