Top five on-ear wireless headphones for less than £50

EDITOR 10
Posted 13th Dec 2019
We are spoilt for choice when it comes to enjoying music, playing games or listening to audiobooks, with so many options available you need to have the correct headphones for the job.

On-ear headphones, earphones, earbuds and the classic over-ear headphones come in all shapes and sizes, even better now we can do it all wirelessly. However, most of the time wireless options can be quite expensive, with some high-end brands coming in over £200.

I wanted to point out some of the market leading examples that are inexpensive but retain quality, and that allow wireless technology without breaking the bank.

We’ll start with on-ear headphones… here are my top five below £50 at the moment.

Sony WH-CH510 Bluetooth wireless on-ear headphones for £34.99 @ John Lewis & Partners

johnlewis.com/son…135

3362063.jpg
You can get these minimalist on-ear headphones for £34.99 from Currys PC World, among other places. The big selling-point is the 35-hour battery life, which means you needn’t worry about running out of juice before you get home to charge them, you could go two days in fact!

They’re Bluetooth 5.0 as well, which means they work up to 10 metres away from the source. They are also compatible with voice assistants such as Alexa or Siri, so you are able to make calls without rooting around for your phone.

At 135 grammes they are fairly lightweight, and should be comfortable enough to wear all day, and the 30mm drivers will allow for nice volume without damaging your ears. The range gives great bass but also doesn’t lose clarity, which is a plus for headphones at this price range.

Note: John Lewis also offers its three year guarantee on this item.

SoundMAGIC P22BT Wireless Bluetooth headphones for £29.99 @ SoundMAGIC

soundmagicheadphones.com/col…nes

3362063.jpg
These are amazing headphones for the price, with 40mm neodymium speaker drivers capable of some serious volume. Not the best looking of the bunch, and with only Bluetooth 4.1 they might have less range.

However, they are very light at 85 grams with big memory foam pads on the drivers making them comfortable for long wear — unfortunately the pads are PU leather, so might get a bit warm. The battery life is around 20 hours, so you can play music well into the night.

An ideal pair of headphones for daily use, cheap and cheerful, with a nice even sound along the midbass range.

Jabra Move Wireless Bluetooth on-ear headphones in gold for £57.18 @ Amazon

amazon.co.uk/Jab…WZM

3362063.jpg
The most expensive out of the bunch, and slightly over the £50 barrier (Amazon changed the prices back). They are sleek, sexy and have a high-end sound when compared to more expensive options. The Move is made for exercise and sport, with a durable stainless steel headband wrapped in a lightweight and comfortable mesh fabric.

Soundwise, they produce a well-rounded bassy sound which is ideal for music on the go. Some details might become muffled when volume is pushed, but that often happens even on more expensive headphones.

Battery life is around eight hours, which is lower than the others in this list, and way less than the Sony’s impressive 35 hours. But that is a minor quibble, as overall these are a great buy for the money.

House of Marley Positive Vibrations 2 wireless Bluetooth on-ear headphones for £49.99 @ Currys

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

3362063.jpg
These are great, with their old school styling, crisp sound, and the added bonus that they’re made from sustainable materials and come in recycled packaging. They are T3 Platinum and Best on Test Award winning headphones, made from widely recyclable aluminium and FSC Certified wood — which you can boast about to your friends.

Powerful too, with two 50mm drivers — presumably for blasting reggae into your skull — with evenly matched treble and bass and solid sound quality. The wooden bit creates a decent acoustic too.

With a 12 hours battery life, these are great for a few days’ worth of play without recharging. They also come with a wire, so you can continue to listen when the battery is dead.

Note: You can also get a free 6 month subscription to Spotify (for new Premium members only) on purchase. spotify.com/uk/…ys/

AKG Y50 on-ear headphones in black for £49.95 @ Richer Sounds

richersounds.com/akg…tml

3362063.jpg
Though wired, these have won the What Hi-Fi? Award for Best On-Ear Headphones five years in a row, meaning the AKG Y50 are arguably the best on-ear headphones out there and now you can get them for less than £50! With best-in-class dynamic sound quality, you should jump on the chance to get a pair.

The closed back design both reduces sound leakage and stops noise getting in, so you are free to listen to their amazing bass. With 40mm drivers in both ear cups, you can get some impactful volume which stays crisp throughout. Plus they fold away to a small neat package.

You can get a wireless version but they are slightly more expensive at £69.95 so can’t be in this list.

Subscriptions for streaming music

In addition to the free 6 month subscription to Spotify from Currys, there are also a few good options out there for subscriptions.

Community Updates

Groups

10 Comments
Nice thread you've got here.

Got one for earphones?
Husla13/12/2019 11:33

Nice thread you've got here. Got one for earphones?

Next one will be about earphones!
I’ve always went for buds and never over ear. My current ones are Powerbeats pro, these sound brilliant so what do I need to spend on headphones to get something better, for chilling in the house??
toonsquirel13/12/2019 15:51

I’ve always went for buds and never over ear. My current ones are P …I’ve always went for buds and never over ear. My current ones are Powerbeats pro, these sound brilliant so what do I need to spend on headphones to get something better, for chilling in the house??

The headphones above are all on-ear, which are slightly smaller than over ear. Do you want advice on earbuds though?
Akira_Cat13/12/2019 16:00

The headphones above are all on-ear, which are slightly smaller than over …The headphones above are all on-ear, which are slightly smaller than over ear. Do you want advice on earbuds though?

I mean is it worth getting anything like this if I’ve decent earbuds? Or will I need to spend £200+ to get something that sounds better than earbuds.
The wireless Y50BT and C50 often pop up around £40 on here and are excellent for the money. They have a wired function too if the battery runs out though it does last ages.
plewis0017/12/2019 00:26

The wireless Y50BT and C50 often pop up around £40 on here and are …The wireless Y50BT and C50 often pop up around £40 on here and are excellent for the money. They have a wired function too if the battery runs out though it does last ages.

Amazing, I would definitely get some if they come up again. They are clearly the best in this bunch.
toonsquirel13/12/2019 17:34

I mean is it worth getting anything like this if I’ve decent earbuds? Or w …I mean is it worth getting anything like this if I’ve decent earbuds? Or will I need to spend £200+ to get something that sounds better than earbuds.

I think you could get some really decent ones for around £100 if you wanted to spend more than £50. The AKG N60NC Wireless are meant to be amazing, you can get them now and again for about £120.
Akira_Cat17/12/2019 09:51

Amazing, I would definitely get some if they come up again. They are …Amazing, I would definitely get some if they come up again. They are clearly the best in this bunch.

I got a grade A set from CeX for £22 but I would have paid £50 for them and probably more. They're really comfortable, well-made (well, I think so despite some durability complaints) and balanced (not bass heavy).
Good work OP, I only miss Anker & Tribit Xfree Tune
Edited by: "xavierluther" 25th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants