Top layer peeling off dining chairs - upholster options?

Found 20th Mar
It's a leather look not actual leather.

Is there any way to re-holster these in a good way?

Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
26 Comments
Can you upload a photo please, so that we can see what type of chair style you have
Toptrumpet15 h, 15 m ago

Can you upload a photo please, so that we can see what type of chair style …Can you upload a photo please, so that we can see what type of chair style you have

Yes pls upload, it may be as simple as cutting fabric and stapling to the seat base.
SCuboid1 m ago

[Image]

Are you able to unscrew the seat from underneath?
Original Poster
davewave3 m ago

Are you able to unscrew the seat from underneath?

Yes, and I can see the brown layer is stapled on
SCuboid1 h, 21 m ago

Yes, and I can see the brown layer is stapled on

remove unpick, keep the existing covering to size the new piece and staple on new cover...

Very easy to do this. I always cover my chairs to match the curtains. I just use very small carpet tacks and a hammer.
June5039 m ago

Very easy to do this. I always cover my chairs to match the curtains. I …Very easy to do this. I always cover my chairs to match the curtains. I just use very small carpet tacks and a hammer.

or just get a big staple gun.
mutley17 m ago

or just get a big staple gun.

Very sensible and simple solution mutley
LeahsMintytoutou4 m ago

Very sensible and simple solution mutley

i bought a big staple gun when i was kid, strange they never questioned why a little kid would buy a staple gun, but there you go! anyway, i have never used it in all the years that i have had it.

it looks like a toy and is orange in colour. it is a bit frightening to be honest so i have avoided using it, i don't even know if it works
I've done this a few times and they came out alright Look on youtube to see how its done
mutley13 m ago

i bought a big staple gun when i was kid, strange they never questioned …i bought a big staple gun when i was kid, strange they never questioned why a little kid would buy a staple gun, but there you go! anyway, i have never used it in all the years that i have had it.it looks like a toy and is orange in colour. it is a bit frightening to be honest so i have avoided using it, i don't even know if it works

good point probably able to buy one off ebay...

£12 used
ebay.co.uk/itm…FMo
mutley15 m ago

i bought a big staple gun when i was kid, strange they never questioned …i bought a big staple gun when i was kid, strange they never questioned why a little kid would buy a staple gun, but there you go! anyway, i have never used it in all the years that i have had it.it looks like a toy and is orange in colour. it is a bit frightening to be honest so i have avoided using it, i don't even know if it works

I got one off eBay (brand new) a couple of years ago for about £6 with free delivery. Works perfect
mutley15 m ago

Found it
33486067-yGpyH.jpg

davewave2 m ago

good point probably able to buy one off ebay...£12 …good point probably able to buy one off ebay...£12 usedhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wickes-heavy-duty-staple-gun/292441840273?epid=14014554737&hash=item4416e45a91:g:r6oAAOSwYDZafFMo

Or Gumtree
I got one for £2.49 in a Woolies closing down sale some years back, still works fine.
jaketheplumber18 m ago

I got one for £2.49 in a Woolies closing down sale some years back, still …I got one for £2.49 in a Woolies closing down sale some years back, still works fine.

that is where i got mine. it was in the stationery section so i think it may not be that powerful
@mutley1 did you ever invest in a pair of pinking shears?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 21st Mar
Toptrumpet1 h, 18 m ago

@mutley1 did you ever invest in a pair of pinking shears?

no. why do you ask?
mutley14 m ago

no. why do you ask?

Just thinking that depending on what material op chooses, probably best to cut with pinking shears to stop the material from fraying, and then remembered you asked a similar question some time ago.
Toptrumpet4 m ago

Just thinking that depending on what material op chooses, probably best to …Just thinking that depending on what material op chooses, probably best to cut with pinking shears to stop the material from fraying, and then remembered you asked a similar question some time ago.

did i? your memory is better than mine! i recollect asking about whether i need any special sort of scissors but i don't remember asking about pinking shears.

fraying will only happen if you rub against the material like clothes. the bottom of the seat will not get anything brushing against it constantly and it won't get washed either like clothes, which will also fray the cut.

i don't need pinking shears, i just sew along the cut in a zig-zag line and that works fine so far
@mutley1 If you use pinking shears, all you need to do is fold the bottom over to make a hem and then use plain old running stitch, thus saving cotton thread and probably quicker. The zig zag stitch will really only stop the fraying if the stitch goes over the edge of the cut side, unless you fold the hem over twice.
OP, any ideas on what material you’re thinking of using
mutley12 h, 25 m ago

that is where i got mine. it was in the stationery section so i think it …that is where i got mine. it was in the stationery section so i think it may not be that powerful

It was in the hardware section, got loads of stuff, paintbrushes, sanding discs etc. all knockdown prices. It was a sturdy stapler, used it a few times on upholstery.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 21st Mar
Toptrumpet12 h, 41 m ago

@mutley1 If you use pinking shears, all you need to do is fold the bottom …@mutley1 If you use pinking shears, all you need to do is fold the bottom over to make a hem and then use plain old running stitch, thus saving cotton thread and probably quicker. The zig zag stitch will really only stop the fraying if the stitch goes over the edge of the cut side, unless you fold the hem over twice.

yup, i am doing it like overlocking and it works perfect. i don't mind spending time on it as i enjoy the sewing. i have about a hundred cotton reels in all different colours as my dad used to work as a machinist and he doesn't need them any more so he has given them all to me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants