Top soil and manure deals during COVID-19 lockdown

Posted 10th Apr
The current pandemic had finally given me the opportunity to work on the garden and build some raised beds.

Only problem is I'm now in need of a lot of top soil and manure to fill the beds!

Wickes usually do their £2 per bag of too soil deal over Easter, but understandably they don't feel they need to reduce prices to drive sales at the moment!

Can anyone advise on a good value source for manure and top soil?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Bargainhead10/04/2020 14:18

I get that but the drivers are out and about for non essential then, which …I get that but the drivers are out and about for non essential then, which isn’t fair really. But that would be down to the company as well...

If the company didn’t think it was safe etc they wouldn’t offer a delivery service. Most small businesses stores are shut, without any help from the government, so to stop their business going bust etc, they offer online delivery. Which I’m sure they are following government guidelines.
Next you’ll want supermarkets to close
If you like jigsaws? That’s your preference! And clearly you’re misinformed about metal health and depression. Sometimes putting you’re brain into gear before speaking might help your situation
23 Comments
That what I like to see essential shopping, people working frontline with people who have covid19 and others wondering where to get topsoil..
Bargainhead10/04/2020 12:46

That what I like to see essential shopping, people working frontline with …That what I like to see essential shopping, people working frontline with people who have covid19 and others wondering where to get topsoil..

Everybody has to deal with this in their own way.
brailer10/04/2020 13:20

Everybody has to deal with this in their own way.

Of course but going out for non essentials isn’t it, getting delivery’s of non essential is putting others at risk..
The amount of people walking out of Asda with compost only yesterday was a joke
Bargainhead10/04/2020 13:48

Of course but going out for non essentials isn’t it, getting delivery’s of …Of course but going out for non essentials isn’t it, getting delivery’s of non essential is putting others at risk..

I do see your point. Any delivery would be left at the side of our house with no face-to-face contact and not moved for 1-2 days, so I am comfortable there is no risk (except of possible theft!)
Edited by: "arCuThEDOWDr" 10th Apr
portonaquapet.co.uk/sho…000
It’s essential for mental well being as they’ve closed the garden centres.
arCuThEDOWDr10/04/2020 14:11

I do see your point. Any delivery would be left at the side of our house …I do see your point. Any delivery would be left at the side of our house with no face-to-face contact and not moved for 1-2 days, so I am comfortable there is no risk (except of possible theft!)

I get that but the drivers are out and about for non essential then, which isn’t fair really. But that would be down to the company as well...
dorey6910/04/2020 14:11

https://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/shop/Garden-and-Home-G500000 It’s e …https://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/shop/Garden-and-Home-G500000 It’s essential for mental well being as they’ve closed the garden centres.

Do a jigsaw...
I'd say go for it. Item might be non essential however it might be essential to this persons mental well being and will keep a driver in a job, as well as making sure Wickes still turnover money.
When I look at the deals that get posted on this website, 99% must be non essential, so lets just chill a bit.
deleted2473787
Just order online and get it delivered, not sure what quantity you need but a dumpy bag may work out cheaper in the long run. I’ve not searched around so it may be cheaper elsewhere but here is one suggestion dandys.com/col…064
If your anywhere near Manchester I’ve got 300kg of premium topsoil you can have for free- it’s leftover for my job last week
Bargainhead10/04/2020 14:27

Do a jigsaw...

Need to order one online.
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 10th Apr
Bargainhead10/04/2020 14:18

I get that but the drivers are out and about for non essential then, which …I get that but the drivers are out and about for non essential then, which isn’t fair really. But that would be down to the company as well...

If the company didn’t think it was safe etc they wouldn’t offer a delivery service. Most small businesses stores are shut, without any help from the government, so to stop their business going bust etc, they offer online delivery. Which I’m sure they are following government guidelines.
Next you’ll want supermarkets to close
If you like jigsaws? That’s your preference! And clearly you’re misinformed about metal health and depression. Sometimes putting you’re brain into gear before speaking might help your situation
arCuThEDOWDr10/04/2020 14:11

I do see your point. Any delivery would be left at the side of our house …I do see your point. Any delivery would be left at the side of our house with no face-to-face contact and not moved for 1-2 days, so I am comfortable there is no risk (except of possible theft!)

No risk for you! This selfish attitude is part of the problem
tom2kadd110/04/2020 18:56

No risk for you! This selfish attitude is part of the problem

Who is at risk? The courier who is already collecting parcels from his depot and already delivering to my neighbours? Me not being at risk also does not put the courier at risk, it's a mutual no-risk scenario.

If it put either me or the courier at risk I wouldn't order it (obviously).

I fully echo and support the other comments on here RE mental health, and where it doesn't put others at risk it is important that we look after ourselves and each other (physically bad mentally) during this difficult and very isolating situation.
Edited by: "arCuThEDOWDr" 10th Apr
dorey6910/04/2020 17:40

If the company didn’t think it was safe etc they wouldn’t offer a delivery …If the company didn’t think it was safe etc they wouldn’t offer a delivery service. Most small businesses stores are shut, without any help from the government, so to stop their business going bust etc, they offer online delivery. Which I’m sure they are following government guidelines. Next you’ll want supermarkets to close If you like jigsaws? That’s your preference! And clearly you’re misinformed about metal health and depression. Sometimes putting you’re brain into gear before speaking might help your situation

No if the company can still make money they will, regardless of the safety of their employees. They will have made a token gesture to safety, given gloves or made a new risk assessment and told the driver to carry on as always!
tom2kadd110/04/2020 18:58

No if the company can still make money they will, regardless of the safety …No if the company can still make money they will, regardless of the safety of their employees. They will have made a token gesture to safety, given gloves or made a new risk assessment and told the driver to carry on as always!

Source?
arCuThEDOWDr10/04/2020 18:58

Who is at risk? The courier who is already collecting parcels from his …Who is at risk? The courier who is already collecting parcels from his depot and already delivering to my neighbours? Me not being at risk also does not put the courier at risk, it's a mutual no-risk scenario.If it put either me or the courier at risk I wouldn't order it obviously.

The various people like you put the driver at risk. He shouldn’t be in work, his job is not essential, the Goverment will pay his wages to stay at home, but companies feel they need to keep customers, so will risk their employees lives.
tom2kadd110/04/2020 19:01

I work for one of them

Then raise your valid concerns with your boss as a formal grievance as it sounds like they are not complying with their Duty of Care and could be constructively dismissing you.

I wouldn't want someone from a firm putting their staff at risk delivering to my home.
arCuThEDOWDr10/04/2020 19:05

Then raise your valid concerns with your boss as a formal grievance as it …Then raise your valid concerns with your boss as a formal grievance as it sounds like they are not complying with their Duty of Care and could be constructively dismissing you. I wouldn't want someone from a firm putting their staff at risk delivering to my home.

Thanks, I have done.

Don’t order unnecessary items to be delivered and you will avoid risking people’s lives.
Bargainhead10/04/2020 12:46

That what I like to see essential shopping, people working frontline with …That what I like to see essential shopping, people working frontline with people who have covid19 and others wondering where to get topsoil..

Tell him no mucking about?
deleted2473787
I don’t see anyone being put at risk, if the company are prepared to deliver because they believe it is safe to do so then so be it. The driver will not come within 2m of you, or even ask you to sign for the item, nobody will be putting anybody more at risk than say you going to the supermarket, in-fact you are probably more likely to contract / spread the virus there.
Edited by: "deleted2473787" 10th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions