Torch

Posted 10th Oct
There’s a lot of adverts on Facebook just lately for torches, all from different companies but all selling the same torch for various prices ranging from £12.49 to £40+

The video and pictures they use on their adverts and websites show about six different torches, none of which is the one they are selling.

One even shows the torch being able to set fire to a napkin and cook and egg in a bowl placed on top of the torch. And apparently is 90,000 lumens..

Are there any torches out there that a normal person can buy that has that kind of light output?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
90,000 lumens are probably "Chinese lumens" i.e. fictitious.

Check out companies like ThruNite, Olight, Nitecore etc, for quality torch products.

Off topic: I don't use FaceBook. Can't you block the adverts?
I bought 2 from a local market for £8 each that are supposed to be bike lights but I use them for camping. They have built in battery and run for about 5 hours on each charge. Small hand held, absolutely blinding light but not a massive heat output. Totally replaced all the camping lanterns we have.
You can block the adverts, but it’s like swimming against the current and the currents made of treacle.
My father in-law is a sucker for these adverts, he bought some and gave me one, came with charger and a cheap 18650 battery, turned out to be a really good flash light.
Replaced the 18650 with decent quality battery as the one supplied claimed to be 4500mah.
The cheapo end cap torches i've had have all failed with minimal use, imho personally prefer a good head torch.

The larger torch I bought (4x 18650) didn't take energy evenly through the 4 batteries one was always running flat before the others (I used same spec, batteries measured to be very close capacity as far as measured on my Dragon charger, that is the only one that's lasted though, ..yes, the aluminium casing gets warm!
Getting back on topic.

OP any idea of how many batteries you want it to have? voltage / output / longevity etc.
Maybe visit the "Torchy" site (torchy the battery boy) as well as dedicated torch sites.

Good torches & good batteries cost! ..cheap torches typically come with cheap batteries!
LEDs just aren't efficient enough to produce 90,000 lumens in any sort of portable form factor. Using optimistic figures of say 35%Light/65% heat and 250 lumens/watt you'd be looking at a power draw of 360W and 234W of heat.

The power draw isn't much of an issue for wiring. Cordless hand tools handle similar amounts of load, albeit less continuous.

It's a bit of an issue for runtime. A larger torch or hand tool battery has around 72Wh, which would give you 10 minutes of light.

The heat is more of an issue for something in contact with your hand. 230W is a huge amount. You'd need some sort of fans within the torch to move significant amounts of air through it so that the exhaust air wasn't too hot. But the torch would also have to be large enough that the exhaust didn't have too much force either.

And 90,000 lumens is potentially getting into the range that it could cause eye damage if too focused/close.

In terms of practical choices, the main thing to bear in mind is that the brightness is dependant not just on it's total light output (lumens) but on the width of the beam. A torch with the same lumens but a wider beam will be dimmer, because it's lighting up a bigger area. And vice versa.

But if you need a wide area illuminated (e.g. for walking/cycling) a narrow beam isn't of much use even if it's very bright.

The brightness of something in the center of the beam is often expressed in lux or candlepower/candela at a specific distance.
Just want something that is super bright both in a narrow beam and also opened up to light a large area. Half a laser beam and half a flood light would suffice
BadMF10/10/2019 16:26

Just want something that is super bright both in a narrow beam and also …Just want something that is super bright both in a narrow beam and also opened up to light a large area. Half a laser beam and half a flood light would suffice

At the same time or alternately?

If you want a torch capable of one or the other then you can either get a narrow beamed torch and fit it with a removable diffuser cap, this sort of thing, or you can go for a torch with a movable lens at the front which focuses the light, which is also sometimes marketed as a zoom feature.

If you want it at the same time then that's tricky. Most of the narrow beam ones are designed to have some spill around the sides to give you more of a cone in addition to the central hotspot. Pure Laserbeam-style ones are the exception rather than the rule. Likewise most floodlights will have a brighter hotspot rather than being purely even.
Not at the same time, with the moveable lens, cheers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants