Found 15th Apr 2008
my poor little mimi has torn her Dewclaw, should this be left alone for the dog to do its own treatment on it or should I be doing something to help her?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

my dog has lost her dewclaw on a number of occasions and has always been fine. i'd guess as long as the bleeding is minimal and stops then she should be fine. but keep an eye on it

Original Poster

wolf359;1899819

my dog has lost her dewclaw on a number of occasions and has always been … my dog has lost her dewclaw on a number of occasions and has always been fine. i'd guess as long as the bleeding is minimal and stops then she should be fine. but keep an eye on it

Kind of what I thought, just my mother fretting over her.

My logic is, if wild dogs suffered this injury they lick themselves to recovery

Id just try and gently strap the dewclaw to the (dog - i presume) leg to minimise chances of catching it during the healing process.

Agree - keep an eye on it. Depends really on the sort of tear. If it's sort of a jagged one that is sawing at the skin, IMO it's best to let the vet take a look - but not an emegency!!

What's a dewclaw?

Yeah just be careful he/she doesn't catch it again! Being that it is ripped it will be easier to catch on something! Can you clip it a little maybe, just be careful of the wick. http://www.forumsextreme.com/imgs1/sAni_dogrun.gif

Is this like a nail bit at the side of the leg not on the paw? Sorry I don't know much about dogs.

Shengis;1899867

What's a dewclaw?

The big claw on the side of their leg!

One of my dogs ripped her dewclaw and it was only held on by a small piece of skin.
I just cut it of with a razor blade. (she was already trying to chew it off)

Shengis;1899867

What's a dewclaw?

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/images/tips/left-rear-dew-claw.jpg

Original Poster

if its not causing her too much upset i think i'll leave her to her own thing, don't really want to clip it cos I can't see her wick on her claws so could probably do more damage... think she has dark wicks

Original Poster

stora;1899905

is that the doggy version of saw???? :w00t:

Ah, a side claw lol. Well I don't do dogs but I dare say, no matter what you do, it would benefit from a wash with Witch Hazel every day till it's healed :thumbsup:

fwibble;1899924

if its not causing her too much upset i think i'll leave her to her own … if its not causing her too much upset i think i'll leave her to her own thing, don't really want to clip it cos I can't see her wick on her claws so could probably do more damage... think she has dark wicks

Thats cool, if you cant see the wick then better to be safe than sorry! She might end up nibbling at it to sort it out which will be a good thing! http://www.forumsextreme.com/imgs1/sAni_puppy.gif

whenever mine caught hers she ended up pulling it off herself. i tried to cover it with surgical tape but she ended up biting at it until the claw was off.

Get the vet to remove it if she keeps catching it. 2 of my dogs have had them removed because of this. I'm sure they must have been useful to wild dogs once but I have no idea what for.

wookiemummy;1900680

Get the vet to remove it if she keeps catching it. 2 of my dogs have had … Get the vet to remove it if she keeps catching it. 2 of my dogs have had them removed because of this. I'm sure they must have been useful to wild dogs once but I have no idea what for.

IIRC they used to be used for gripping prey. now they're like our appendix....... target practice for surgeons
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best place to load vouchers for Black Friday for 4k tv22
    2. How do you pay your SIPP management fees?22
    3. What's this on my neighbours roof?1921
    4. Sim deal with EU calls44

See more discussions