Torrent download speed slow during tethering? Any help?

Found 17th Apr 2016
This is a tricky one, not sure if anyone here will be able to assist but here goes! I am tethered to my phone at the moment, using my laptop as my internet (Virgin) is down. I am on Three and have an unlimited tethering plan. I am trying to download something via torrents but the download speed is maxed at around 35kb/ps! However I did a speed test on speedtest.net and I get 40mb/ps. This is very strange. Any help? Thanks!
Community Updates
8 Comments
if its android try tTorrent or other android torrent apps, could help. could also be that three are throttling torrent connections.
also virgin have some sort of shared internet thing, if anyone neighbours in WiFi range have virgin their routers should have a shared connection for other virgin users, will look for a link, never used it myself.
eternaldragonuk

also virgin have some sort of shared internet thing, if anyone neighbours … also virgin have some sort of shared internet thing, if anyone neighbours in WiFi range have virgin their routers should have a shared connection for other virgin users, will look for a link, never used it myself.

Planned, but they seem to have dropped it for now, reversing the firmware update that was going to support it
Hi mate thanks for the reply, however I think you misunderstood my question. My torrent speeds are fine when I download via my mobile network or even when I connect to my Virgin Media, however the problem arises when I tether my laptop to my phone's internet. Browsing/Youtube/Netflix is fine and as I mentioned Speedtest even gives me a result of nearly 40mb/ps however with Azureus when downloading torrents I am only getting 30-35kb/s
Have you tried using a VPN?
tommy6000009

Have you tried using a VPN?

Was going to, but then I realised my private torrent website will see a different IP and think my account is hacked!

For those interested, it was the torrent client, Azureus, that was the problem. It must be within the settings. Now using uTorrent and getting download speeds of 3-4mb/s whilst tethered to my phone on Three UK (3)! Thanks
Glad you got it resolved.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants