Tory Britain

Top comments
So it's the Government's fault and not the disinterested, TV obsessed, Facebook trolling crackhead parents?
You have added the word “Tory” to your headline, which tells me that you know next to nothing about even recent politics of this country. Do you honestly think that Labour will be the miracle cure for all our national problems? It never has been in the past, but in fact made things much worse when the party was ever in power. St. Jeremy will prove to be just as powerless if, God forbid, he ever became the leader of this nation
Same schools where the parents are all covered in tattoos - and we all know these are not cheap - and carry expensive mobile phones permanently glued to their ears. Sorry but I live in South London and I see it all the time . Some parents seem to think having kids is a meal ticket to freebies from the state, and that bringing up their kids is the governments job.
Edited by: "Alfsmum" 15th Dec 2017
Feckless parents shifting the blame to teachers/government/life - how much does a 1kg of porridge cost = 75p?

Oh the kid doesn't like porridge - oh starve em then, I suppose (for heaven sake) ?
144 Comments
So it's the Government's fault and not the disinterested, TV obsessed, Facebook trolling crackhead parents?
You have added the word “Tory” to your headline, which tells me that you know next to nothing about even recent politics of this country. Do you honestly think that Labour will be the miracle cure for all our national problems? It never has been in the past, but in fact made things much worse when the party was ever in power. St. Jeremy will prove to be just as powerless if, God forbid, he ever became the leader of this nation
Feckless parents shifting the blame to teachers/government/life - how much does a 1kg of porridge cost = 75p?

Oh the kid doesn't like porridge - oh starve em then, I suppose (for heaven sake) ?
Same schools where the parents are all covered in tattoos - and we all know these are not cheap - and carry expensive mobile phones permanently glued to their ears. Sorry but I live in South London and I see it all the time . Some parents seem to think having kids is a meal ticket to freebies from the state, and that bringing up their kids is the governments job.
Edited by: "Alfsmum" 15th Dec 2017
SJHan41 m ago

So it's the Government's fault and not the disinterested, TV obsessed, …So it's the Government's fault and not the disinterested, TV obsessed, Facebook trolling crackhead parents?

So if you're poor it's because you're not only lazy but a Facebook trolling crackhead?
Insane.

Some poeple are just given a bad hand in life. It's not always their fault.
Sinks of masonic autism in here. Just build your concentration camps and get it over with.
teh.arn11 m ago

So if you're poor it's because you're not only lazy but a Facebook …So if you're poor it's because you're not only lazy but a Facebook trolling crackhead?Insane.Some poeple are just given a bad hand in life. It's not always their fault.

Stu's just in a grumpy mood I think.
teh.arn23 m ago

So if you're poor it's because you're not only lazy but a Facebook …So if you're poor it's because you're not only lazy but a Facebook trolling crackhead?Insane.Some poeple are just given a bad hand in life. It's not always their fault.

Variety of reasons...life isn't simple and neither is responsibility...but bring a life into the world and at least feed it a breakfast...even if it's a porridge at about 10p a bowl!
davewave10 m ago

Variety of reasons...life isn't simple and neither is responsibility...but …Variety of reasons...life isn't simple and neither is responsibility...but bring a life into the world and at least feed it a breakfast...even if it's a porridge at about 10p a bowl!

Missed the part about them living in poverty? Means maybe they can't afford a microwave, or the electricity or gas they need. Maybe they can't even afford the 75p for the porridge.

Now you'll likely respond with the 'but they can afford Sky tv' response I suspect. That's fine. But maybe at this time of year you could learn some compassion.
cowsindahouse38 m ago

Sinks of masonic autism in here. Just build your concentration camps and …Sinks of masonic autism in here. Just build your concentration camps and get it over with.

‘Sinks of Masonic autism’

Wonderful name for a heavy metal rock band
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals9 m ago

Missed the part about them living in poverty? Means maybe they can't …Missed the part about them living in poverty? Means maybe they can't afford a microwave, or the electricity or gas they need. Maybe they can't even afford the 75p for the porridge.Now you'll likely respond with the 'but they can afford Sky tv' response I suspect. That's fine. But maybe at this time of year you could learn some compassion.

I think that is the point isn't it. Compassion. These people need help with finances, mental health, priorities.
It is not a financial thing as provisions are very good in the UK. The government are doing a very good job at juggling the finances to allow people to want to work to earn to then spend, which creates more demand and more jobs, then more pay and spend. It is a delicate cycle of which they are managing well. There are 40+ benefit types to help people in different situations cope.
This is not a "tory" problem, in fact they are doing very well indeed to keep providing this provision, with record investment in trouble areas like the NHS etc.. We should be very proud as a country for what we have achived since the finantial mess of 2007/8.
The program the OP mentions is just sensational politics at it's best and just identifies the poor education and spoilt upbringing of the Blair era.
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 15th Dec 2017
davewave19 m ago

Variety of reasons...life isn't simple and neither is responsibility...but …Variety of reasons...life isn't simple and neither is responsibility...but bring a life into the world and at least feed it a breakfast...even if it's a porridge at about 10p a bowl!

I don't disagree, but the reality is some people don't have anything to spare.

It's amazing how people in this country are so against the poor. As if they've been brainwashed by the Multi-Billionaires running their media empires.

There should be outrage against the rich who are actively stealing from society by not paying their taxes etc.
Why buy into their propaganda?
Chiptivo8 m ago

I think that is the point isn't it. Compassion. These people need help …I think that is the point isn't it. Compassion. These people need help with finances, mental health, priorities. It is not a financial thing as provisions are very good in the UK. The government are doing a very good job at juggling the finances to allow people to want to work to earn to then spend, which creates more demand and more jobs, then more pay and spend. It is a delicate cycle of which they are managing well. There are 40+ benefit types to help people in different situations cope. This is not a "tory" problem, in fact they are doing very well indeed to keep providing this provision, with record investment in trouble areas like the NHS etc.. We should be very proud as a country for what we have achived since the finantial mess of 2007/8. The program the OP mentions is just sensational politics at it's best and just identifies the poor education and spoilt upbringing of the Blair era.

The Blair era.

If that's what you think the problem comes down to then you're fantastically naive. We're a wealthy country but that wealth isn't equally distributed. I'm not saying it should be, but you can't really believe that those who can't go out and take advantage of the opportunities we have can't slip through the cracks.

The fact is that the cost of living is outstripping wages and that we've built a consumer society where we need people to spend, often beyond their means, in order to keep the system going. That means cheap credit that people often can't hope to pay back.

This is not sensationalist politics. It's a real problem that someone like you could probably do with hearing so that your little bubble might let a bit of the real world in.

People struggling are sometimes feckless and irresponsible, and sometimes they're victims of a lifetime of misery. Again, compassion at this time of year really shouldn't be so hard to come by.
teh.arn7 m ago

I don't disagree, but the reality is some people don't have anything to …I don't disagree, but the reality is some people don't have anything to spare. It's amazing how people in this country are so against the poor. As if they've been brainwashed by the Multi-Billionaires running their media empires.There should be outrage against the rich who are actively stealing from society by not paying their taxes etc.Why buy into their propaganda?

Bully the billionaires and expect them to use tax avoidance more often. There are countries which open their arms to billionaires... Switzerland, Monaco, Singapore?

We should be outraged that some parents arent bothered about planning their finances to afford 10p breakfast for their children. It is not billionaires' fault that a parent doesn't have 10p a day.
davewave9 m ago

Bully the billionaires and expect them to use tax avoidance more often. …Bully the billionaires and expect them to use tax avoidance more often. There are countries which open their arms to billionaires... Switzerland, Monaco, Singapore?We should be outraged that some parents arent bothered about planning their finances to afford 10p breakfast for their children. It is not billionaires' fault that a parent doesn't have 10p a day.

You don't seem to understand that some people are just a lot worse off than others.
Some literally do not have the money, they're heavily in debt barely surviving.

It's not Black and White, I've got no idea why you seem to think it is.

If someone is poor it's not always their fault, like I said before, some people just get dealt a bad hand in life.

Not every poor person smokes 120 cigarettes a day, facebooking on their iphone x whilst watching their full sky package on their 60 inch plasma tv.

You've been brainwashed Dave.
teh.arn2 m ago

You don't seem to understand that some people are just a lot worse off …You don't seem to understand that some people are just a lot worse off than others.Some literally do not have the money, they're heavily in debt barely surviving. It's not Black and White, I've got no idea why you seem to think it is.If someone is poor it's not always their fault, like I said before, some people just get dealt a bad hand in life.Not every poor person smokes 120 cigarettes a day, facebooking on their iphone x whilst watching their full sky package on their 60 inch plasma tv.You've been brainwashed Dave.

Dave doesn't seem to have a vast amount of life experience. He seems a very sheltered individual.

Yes there are feckless individuals, but there are also unfortunate ones who can't take the 'simple' steps he suggests.

But Dave doesn't actually care about fixing the issue. He doesn't even want to discuss it. He simply wants to look down at others to make him feel better about himself.

So whilst we ask compassion of him, we should also think of the type of Christmas a 'man' like that will be having too.
The richer people in society are the ones creating business, jobs and wealth for others to get off the benefits and have a better life. If this incentive was not there (both ways), the country would fail.

It is a balancing act isn't it.
I don't get the cost of living argument to be honest. e.g.
If I spend £500 on bills and food and inflation is at 3% my bills go up to £515
If I get paid £2000 and get a 2% increase I now earn £2040
So, I am still well ahead of the cost of living. People don't spend all there wages on household bills and food. But that's a different argument.

The biggest problem that will face world finances is this "consumer society where we need people to spend, often beyond their means, in order to keep the system going."

It's a good point, one that is difficult to manage unless we start making credit less affordable, or just whack a massive tax levy on iPhones.
Mass immigration is what will increase poverty in the UK, rents and mortgages costs are increasing with demand putting more people in debt as they struggle to keep a roof over there head, then there are the benefit cuts as we absorb the third world and more resources have to be shared, the more people that come here for a piece of the cake the thinner each slice has to become.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals3 m ago

Dave doesn't seem to have a vast amount of life experience. He seems a …Dave doesn't seem to have a vast amount of life experience. He seems a very sheltered individual.Yes there are feckless individuals, but there are also unfortunate ones who can't take the 'simple' steps he suggests.But Dave doesn't actually care about fixing the issue. He doesn't even want to discuss it. He simply wants to look down at others to make him feel better about himself.So whilst we ask compassion of him, we should also think of the type of Christmas a 'man' like that will be having too.

I'm sure he's just intentionally trolling.
No one can be that dilusional, unless he's lived an incredibly sheltered life or just swallowed everything he's ever been fed by the right wing papers.

Seems to think people that are actively stealing Billions, if not Trillions, from the country aren't as bad as the poor that are struggling to live.
Chiptivo4 m ago

The richer people in society are the ones creating business, jobs and …The richer people in society are the ones creating business, jobs and wealth for others to get off the benefits and have a better life. If this incentive was not there (both ways), the country would fail. It is a balancing act isn't it. I don't get the cost of living argument to be honest. e.g.If I spend £500 on bills and food and inflation is at 3% my bills go up to £515If I get paid £2000 and get a 2% increase I now earn £2040So, I am still well ahead of the cost of living. People don't spend all there wages on household bills and food. But that's a different argument. The biggest problem that will face world finances is this "consumer society where we need people to spend, often beyond their means, in order to keep the system going." It's a good point, one that is difficult to manage unless we start making credit less affordable, or just whack a massive tax levy on iPhones.

Now, and I want you to warm up so you don't pull a muscle, try imagining if someone doesn't earn £2000.

Still with me?

Now imagine they earn a third of that (we'll round that up to £667) and their outgoings are still £500.

Now imagine that they don't see a payrise.

Got it?
Maybe Kill the Poor & Increase VAT?

Alfsmum1 h, 21 m ago

Same schools where the parents are all covered in tattoos - and we all …Same schools where the parents are all covered in tattoos - and we all know these are not cheap - and carry expensive mobile phones permanently glued to their ears. Sorry but I live in South London and I see it all the time . Some parents seem to think having kids is a meal ticket to freebies from the state, and that bringing up their kids is the governments job.

I blame the previous generation that thought smoking and going out boozing every weekend was more of a priority than feeding there children, How can anyone claim to be a loving parent when they stood outside the maternity ward with a cigarette in one hand and rubbing there belly with the other, then for years putting there children through passive smoking. It is no wonder this generation think that having a family is a right and not a privilege and that the state should pick up the bill.
How to deal with poverty and the NHS.

SOUTHWALES8 m ago

I blame the previous generation that thought smoking and going out boozing …I blame the previous generation that thought smoking and going out boozing every weekend was more of a priority than feeding there children, How can anyone claim to be a loving parent when they stood outside the maternity ward with a cigarette in one hand and rubbing there belly with the other, then for years putting there children through passive smoking. It is no wonder this generation think that having a family is a right and not a privilege and that the state should pick up the bill.

I blame the education system....specifically yours.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals26 m ago

Now, and I want you to warm up so you don't pull a muscle, try imagining …Now, and I want you to warm up so you don't pull a muscle, try imagining if someone doesn't earn £2000.Still with me? Now imagine they earn a third of that (we'll round that up to £667) and their outgoings are still £500.Now imagine that they don't see a payrise. Got it?

£500 + 3% = £515
They earn £667
So still in a good positive.

If, I earn't £667 and I did not get a pay rise for years, I would try and better myself and move to a company that did pay a little more and gave pay rises. Learn, train, get some self worth etc.

Not sure what the person is expecting here, maybe just some free money offered on a plate?? This is what is wrong with society isn't it? People just want everything instantly, or for free/credit?
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals18 m ago

I blame the education system....specifically yours.

Why such a dig at me, what part of my comment did you not like?
Perhaps we need to start teaching kids at school the concepts of personal responsibility and how to make good decisions in life.

We seem to have a significant number of people who take no responsibility for their actions and if it goes wrong blame the government. Life aint fair, never has been and never will be.

I saw a show recently of a young guy who couldn't get a job despite hundreds of interviews, he had a faceful of tatts, which at best is going to limit your career options, faced with the dilemma of Laser removal or a new back piece? I lost any compassion for the guy when he made his second duff decision and go for the new tattoo.
Chiptivo28 m ago

£500 + 3% = £515They earn £667So still in a good positive. If, I earn't £6 …£500 + 3% = £515They earn £667So still in a good positive. If, I earn't £667 and I did not get a pay rise for years, I would try and better myself and move to a company that did pay a little more and gave pay rises. Learn, train, get some self worth etc. Not sure what the person is expecting here, maybe just some free money offered on a plate?? This is what is wrong with society isn't it? People just want everything instantly, or for free/credit?

Only problem with that way of thinking, is that person can better themselves sure (agree 100%), but the job/employer they left is still in circulation for the next person.
splatsplatsplat18 m ago

Only problem with that way of thinking, is that person can better …Only problem with that way of thinking, is that person can better themselves sure (agree 100%), but the job/employer they left is still in circulation for the next person.

Not really, the employer is then having to potentially train them up, or there is no one to fill these jobs and the employer has to make the decision to increase the wage to keep the employees, or get the right ones.
In addition, the government are doing what they can by raising the minimum wage/living wage to record highs year on year to help.
Also the government have the confidence to keep raising the income tax level to higher than ever levels so that all people working hard pay less tax for the first 11k+ of their earnings. Again, doing what they can to make work pay and pay more than ever.
DKLS30 m ago

Perhaps we need to start teaching kids at school the concepts of personal …Perhaps we need to start teaching kids at school the concepts of personal responsibility and how to make good decisions in life. We seem to have a significant number of people who take no responsibility for their actions and if it goes wrong blame the government.

Totally agree.
They should replace RE lessons with Social Responsibility or even bring back home economics.
Teaching people how to manage money, how to be responsible with money, understanding credit, interest, penalities and payments. How to cook and budget. How to avoid using Brighthouse.
Chiptivo7 m ago

Totally agree.They should replace RE lessons with Social Responsibility or …Totally agree.They should replace RE lessons with Social Responsibility or even bring back home economics. Teaching people how to manage money, how to be responsible with money, understanding credit, interest, penalities and payments. How to cook and budget. How to avoid using Brighthouse.

Totally agree, In my school we must of spent 40% of our time around religious education, must have spent a good few hours a week singing hymns.
Chiptivo34 m ago

Not really, the employer is then having to potentially train them up, or …Not really, the employer is then having to potentially train them up, or there is no one to fill these jobs and the employer has to make the decision to increase the wage to keep the employees, or get the right ones.

Must be nice living in an imaginary world. Having spent a long time in the real working world, not once when someone left to "better themselves" did I see an employer raise a wage in the hope to keep staff. Each Job paid the same rate. Any rises came about directly through (Labours) National Minimum Wage (which was opposed by the Tories... but they do LOVE a good U-turn).
splatsplatsplat5 m ago

Must be nice living in an imaginary world. Having spent a long time in the …Must be nice living in an imaginary world. Having spent a long time in the real working world, not once when someone left to "better themselves" did I see an employer raise a wage in the hope to keep staff. Each Job paid the same rate. Any rises came about directly through (Labours) National Minimum Wage (which was opposed by the Tories... but they do LOVE a good U-turn).

It does happen, depends on supply and demand I guess. If everyone bettered themselves and left they would have no one to fill the roles and would have to do something.

Yes, Labour bought in the minimum wage and the conservatives have increased it year on year. Good on both parties.
I wonder what proportion of the families mentioned in this article are those who have arrived since the borders were thrown open?
So Op quick question, if the numbers of children arriving at school hungry are the fault of the Tories, do you think it would be eradicated under a Labour govt?

I am not convinced and we need to look beyond the headlines and find out why, am sure there are 1000s of reasons and not that many of them the governments fault.

I went to school hungry at least 2-3 times a week, was that because of my feckless mother spending her money on fags and down the bingo instead of buying me cereals and toast or a poor hating government?

Not in my case it was because eating breakfast ate into my football playing time before school started. Back then football was as important as oxygen.
DKLS28 m ago

So Op quick question, if the numbers of children arriving at school hungry …So Op quick question, if the numbers of children arriving at school hungry are the fault of the Tories, do you think it would be eradicated under a Labour govt? I am not convinced and we need to look beyond the headlines and find out why, am sure there are 1000s of reasons and not that many of them the governments fault.I went to school hungry at least 2-3 times a week, was that because of my feckless mother spending her money on fags and down the bingo instead of buying me cereals and toast or a poor hating government?Not in my case it was because eating breakfast ate into my football playing time before school started. Back then football was as important as oxygen.

Is it possible though that your mother wasn't making a conscious choice, but was simply broken in some way? Maybe she had something in her past that damaged her and the cycle repeated itself.

Often you see that these situations repeat themselves and only through outward intervention (the state) can they be broken.

I see a lot of 'pull yourselves up by the bootstraps' comments here which is fine, but it's more than likely coming from people who wished they had the ability to improve themselves and want to use the anonymity that HUKD provides to try on a persona they cannot in the real world.
DKLS2 h, 26 m ago

Perhaps we need to start teaching kids at school the concepts of personal …Perhaps we need to start teaching kids at school the concepts of personal responsibility and how to make good decisions in life. We seem to have a significant number of people who take no responsibility for their actions and if it goes wrong blame the government. Life aint fair, never has been and never will be.I saw a show recently of a young guy who couldn't get a job despite hundreds of interviews, he had a faceful of tatts, which at best is going to limit your career options, faced with the dilemma of Laser removal or a new back piece? I lost any compassion for the guy when he made his second duff decision and go for the new tattoo.

So you object to people laying responsibility at the door of the government, but also want schools to 'start teaching kids....the concepts of personal responsibility'.

Maybe we should teach kids the concept of consistent thinking so that they don't contradict themselves. You can't object to the role of the state whilst also suggesting they need to fill a gap that is left by the parents. That's just silly.
Chiptivo2 h, 48 m ago

£500 + 3% = £515They earn £667So still in a good positive. If, I earn't £6 …£500 + 3% = £515They earn £667So still in a good positive. If, I earn't £667 and I did not get a pay rise for years, I would try and better myself and move to a company that did pay a little more and gave pay rises. Learn, train, get some self worth etc. Not sure what the person is expecting here, maybe just some free money offered on a plate?? This is what is wrong with society isn't it? People just want everything instantly, or for free/credit?

Not everyone has the ability or opportunity to better themselves. That's just not how life works (I feel like I'm doing a lot of explaining of things that most people pick up simply by going outside their front door and keeping their eyes open, or even talking to people).

That doesn't mean that some people aren't lazy, or that a man somewhere chose to get a tattoo instead of a job. It just means that there are also those who simply can't make the changes you're prescribing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants