Toshiba laptop- purple screen overlay and mouse gets stuck

Posted 11th Oct
Hi Guys, i have a toshiba satellite laptop and up to a few days ago,the laptop was working perfectly. suddenly, the screen is now has a light purple hue, transparent and also the mouse pointer keeps on getting stuck on the screen every 5 seconds.

any idea what it could be? i dont mind taking the back off but would need to atleast have an idea what im looking at

ive run malware bytes but thats come back clean. given the screen some taps to maybe knock a wire into place , switched it on/off multiple times, played about with the resolution thinking maybe the kids have pressed something. no joy.

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
The purplish hue could be down to a faulty LVDS cable from the video output section of the laptop mainboard to the LCD screen. Although it seems strange that the mouse pointer keeps getting stuck on the screen too...overheating gpu and I/O chipset maybe even.

Has there been any video and mouse driver updates recently?

38647572-Gxt9L.jpg
cicobuff11/10/2019 16:32

The purplish hue could be down to a faulty LVDS cable from the video …The purplish hue could be down to a faulty LVDS cable from the video output section of the laptop mainboard to the LCD screen. Although it seems strange that the mouse pointer keeps getting stuck on the screen too...overheating gpu and I/O chipset maybe even.Has there been any video and mouse driver updates recently?[Image]

i think i did do some updates right about the time this happened, well just before and now that you mention it....i knew i should have left everything alone

might take it to the PC shop over the weekend and see what they say. I do know a guy locally who does stuff like this cheap but can't get in touch with him. i know a shop will over charge me.
Before disassembling it make sure it is not an issue with some drivers which have been recently updated (in Device Manager, devmgr).
Open taskmanager (taskmgr) and look for the load of CPU, Memory, Disk.

If it's an issue with Drivers, there is no need for paying anyone. Open Device Manager, run "devmgr", localize the video card and choose to uninstall it (check delete files). Then go in Windows Updates and let Windows install whatever it finds appropriate for your system.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 11th Oct
Maybe put Nutella on it
Before disassembling. Make sure it isn’t a software issue. When you turn the laptop on, is the bios screen okay? And loads fine?
And when windows loads... does it start messing around?
If so, possibly the operating system is unhealthy.

Best anti virus from experience: ESET Nod32. (You can try their trial for free)
And malwarebytes
expandingmaan11/10/2019 21:08

Before disassembling. Make sure it isn’t a software issue. When you turn t …Before disassembling. Make sure it isn’t a software issue. When you turn the laptop on, is the bios screen okay? And loads fine? And when windows loads... does it start messing around?If so, possibly the operating system is unhealthy. Best anti virus from experience: ESET Nod32. (You can try their trial for free)And malwarebytes

hi, everything loads up fine, just that purple hue over the screen and for some strange reason the mouse pointer keeps on getting stuck. bios screen? yeah, thats who you're dealing with..LOL

basically everything loads up as it should. the screen is just sort of transparent and also this light purple hue over the screen.
might be down to a overall update i did on the laptop, cause you know, thought it might be a good idea to have the latest updates on the laptop.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants