Total HDR/4K Confusion - Help Needed :(

Found 29th Dec 2017Edited by:"superfreddy"
Hi all,

I bought a Philips 43PUS6262 4K TV yesterday, but I'm having loads of issues that I didn't think I'd be facing, so looking for some advice please...

Firstly, I have the following devices:

The TV, Sky Q, Xbox One S, PS4 Slim, Chromecast, Sony Blu-Ray Player.

I also have a Sony soundstage ht-xt1 (posh soundbar). This has an arc connection, so I can hook the TV up to it via a HDMI cable - at the back of the soundstage are 3 additional HDMI ports which I can plug devices into it - it kind of acts as a HDMI switch.

When the PS4 or Xbox is plugged into the Soundstage and the video output is pushed through the soundstage to the TV, it won't output HDR according to the PS4 settings - it says the TV doesn't have HDR capabilities. However, when plugged directly into the TV, I can enable HDR. My guess is that even though the soundstage manual says it is 4k compatible, it actually isn't? Or is it, but it just won't output HDR? Does that matter?!

Secondly, I'm confused by 4K and HDR. I plugged the PS4 directly into the TV and it allows me to enable HDR. I plug my Xbox One S directly into the TV and can choose the output as 4K UHD, however it says in the details of the output that 'Your TV setup does not support HDR10 for gaming. Games will not be shown in HDR'. The TV is 'HDR plus' - why is the Xbox saying games won't utilise HDR? Is this because it's running at 4K so HDR doesn't matter?

When using the YouTube app on the TV itself, I've searched for 4K videos to play. How can I tell if they're actually playing at 4K though, or if it's just a 4K video downscaled to HD?

Finally, if I decide to just use the soundstage via optical, and connect everything directly to the TV, I'll be short of HDMI ports. Are you able to buy a switch which allows 4K/HDR devices through it? My soundstage doesn't appear to so I presume you can't just use a normal HDMI switch. I'm a bit stuck here.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
First of all HDR and 4K are not the same thing...

Second, there are many different versions of HDR and some TVs only support some versions....

Third, it sounds like the soundstage will pass through 4K but doesn’t support HDR at all.

you will need to purchase a HDMI switcher that is HDR compatible
mds125645 m ago

First of all HDR and 4K are not the same thing...Second, there are many …First of all HDR and 4K are not the same thing...Second, there are many different versions of HDR and some TVs only support some versions....Third, it sounds like the soundstage will pass through 4K but doesn’t support HDR at all.you will need to purchase a HDMI switcher that is HDR compatible

So should I look for a switcher that is HDR AND 4k compatible?
Ok it's really weird, but the PS4 allows me to enable HDR. No idea if it's actually outputting at HDR though which is stupid as it should confirm somewhere?

As the Xbox won't output HDR (which I don't get if a PS4 can), I tried plugging the Xbox into the soundstage as it is 4k compatible, and when I press the display button in the TV, it says it's outputting at 4k.

Does this all sound right?
On my Samsung KS7000 I had to change a setting on the HDMI to enable 10bit HDR for my Xbox one X, Is there any option on the TV to enable HDR?.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 29th Dec 2017
Ok so after doing some tests, I've found the following:

PS4 Slim plugged into it's own HDMI socket on the TV = no audio to the soundstage (even though there's a HDMI cable running from TV to ARC). I don't get this as this was no problem with my Sony Bravia TV.

I loaded up Resident Evil 7 and a message popped up on the TV saying 'HDR Signal' - so I presume it's outputting a HDR image? Although, when I loaded up another supposed HDR game (Lost Legacy), this message didn't appear? Clicking 'i' on the TV shows 1080p and no mention of HDR active.

Xbox One S plugged into the back of the Soundstage = when I click 'i' on the TV, it says UHD - 2160', so I presume any 4K compatible games will be displayed. Still no HDR though according to the settings?
superfreddy3 h, 13 m ago

Ok so after doing some tests, I've found the following:PS4 Slim plugged …Ok so after doing some tests, I've found the following:PS4 Slim plugged into it's own HDMI socket on the TV = no audio to the soundstage (even though there's a HDMI cable running from TV to ARC). I don't get this as this was no problem with my Sony Bravia TV.I loaded up Resident Evil 7 and a message popped up on the TV saying 'HDR Signal' - so I presume it's outputting a HDR image? Although, when I loaded up another supposed HDR game (Lost Legacy), this message didn't appear? Clicking 'i' on the TV shows 1080p and no mention of HDR active.Xbox One S plugged into the back of the Soundstage = when I click 'i' on the TV, it says UHD - 2160', so I presume any 4K compatible games will be displayed. Still no HDR though according to the settings?

Have you tried firmware updating the soundstage ?
Ok.
1. bin the bluray player you don't need it as you have a 4k bluray player in the Xbox.
2. Bin the Chromecast too, as with everything else you have you can do all the same things (if you must, plug it into the sound bar)
3. Pass the sky box through the Xbox.
4. This will allow you to plug Xbox and ps4 into the TV and arc or optical back to the sound bar.
5. On the Hdr issue with the Xbox, did you use the same TV port and cabled as when you tried the ps4? Often some tvs only support certain features on one port (or the cable isn't the right spec). Also, check out m.windowscentral.com/xbo…hdr which details checking output, and there's a section on enabling hdr10 support on specific ports on Philips 4k's.
HTH
Also, looking at philips.co.uk/c-p…ons

It seems as if you want your consoles on HDMI 2 and 3 as hdmi1 is limited.
I've also just read that certain Philips TV's have 'ganing hdr' mode for low-lag, maybe worth looking for that.
I honestly wouldn’t be too fussed about HDR on this TV it won’t be visible none of the cheaper sets really make a difference it just displays the signal. I’d just accept this and keep your soundbar as is if it’s working with sound and video in 4K
tapi10 h, 2 m ago

Ok. 1. bin the bluray player you don't need it as you have a 4k bluray …Ok. 1. bin the bluray player you don't need it as you have a 4k bluray player in the Xbox. 2. Bin the Chromecast too, as with everything else you have you can do all the same things (if you must, plug it into the sound bar) 3. Pass the sky box through the Xbox. 4. This will allow you to plug Xbox and ps4 into the TV and arc or optical back to the sound bar. 5. On the Hdr issue with the Xbox, did you use the same TV port and cabled as when you tried the ps4? Often some tvs only support certain features on one port (or the cable isn't the right spec). Also, check out https://m.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-x-hdr which details checking output, and there's a section on enabling hdr10 support on specific ports on Philips 4k's. HTH

Thanks, but with a little one, I don't want them putting their jammy DVD's in my Xbox lol

Chromecast is needed because I use it to stream movie rentals from Google Play and to cast videos taken on my phone.

It looks like all issues are now sorted though thankfully!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions