Towing a Trailer

Banned
Whats the laws on this???
If its only the little trailers do you just need to pass your practicle car test? Or a additional one?

20 Comments

This means that passing a test for subcategory C1+E or D1+E upgrades … This means that passing a test for subcategory C1+E or D1+E upgrades category B entitlement to B+E. A test pass for subcategory C1+E upgrades subcategory D1, if held, to D1+E. But a test pass for subcategory D1+E does not upgrade subcategory C1 to C1+E because the trailer size required for a subcategory D1+E test is smaller than that required for a subcategory C1+E test.

as clear as mud !!!!!
check the back of your licence and look out for BE

Original Poster Banned

ding;4785028

as clear as mud

Im finding it hard to see through mud!!!

sooo..... can i tow a trailer lmfao?

check the back of your licence and look out for category BE

Original Poster Banned

ding;4785067

check the back of your licence and look out for category BE

cheers...

You can tow up to 750KG on B.

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight … Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

Original Poster Banned

So if ive got a little clio and say i want to tow say... a little 125cc quad would that be ok?
would i not have to pass a test?

Depends on a couple of things. Does the quad + trailer weigh less than 750kg and is the clio man enough to tow it :lol: That's putting it simply.

By the way, my solution would be to buy a pickup (hi-lux etc), drive the quad onto the back, tie it down and off you go. No sodding about with trailers ;-)

Shengis;4785190

Depends on a couple of things. Does the quad + trailer weigh less than … Depends on a couple of things. Does the quad + trailer weigh less than 750kg and is the clio man enough to tow it :lol: That's putting it simply.

idealy you want to tow no more than 85% of the vehicle kerb weight

as above if you have BE on your licience, if not then you have to take a towing test which last year cost nearly £90!

Shengis;4785113

You can tow up to 750KG on B.

I don't think that's right. You can EITHER

- Tow up to 750kg

OR

- Tow a combination up to 3500kg, but the trailer must not be heavier than the MAM of the car.

Anything over a combination of 3500kg, or to tow anything heavier than the car, then you need to take the B+E license for towing.

I agree, the rules as they stand are as clear as mud. Why have two options, why not just have one.

Im not allowed to tow anything as the new rules came out before i passed my test, so i would have to go and sit the towing test.

BlondeBella;4787490

Im not allowed to tow anything as the new rules came out before i passed … Im not allowed to tow anything as the new rules came out before i passed my test, so i would have to go and sit the towing test.

Bella, you CAN tow a trailer

direct.gov.uk/en/…073

Clears things up nicely :thumbsup:

peodude;4787578

Bella, you CAN tow a trailer … Bella, you CAN tow a trailer :)http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073Clears things up nicely :thumbsup:

I got told i would have to do a seperate test to tow anything.

BlondeBella;4787618

I got told i would have to do a seperate test to tow anything.

Then they don't know what they're talking about Or if it was someone associated with tests they were trying to get more money.

peodude;4787453

I don't think that's right. You can EITHER- Tow up to 750kg OR - Tow a … I don't think that's right. You can EITHER- Tow up to 750kg OR - Tow a combination up to 3500kg, but the trailer must not be heavier than the MAM of the car.Anything over a combination of 3500kg, or to tow anything heavier than the car, then you need to take the B+E license for towing.I agree, the rules as they stand are as clear as mud. Why have two options, why not just have one.

I was trying to keep it simple, but in option 2 its the UNLADEN weight of the towing vehicle (kerb weight) not the MAM. Just to confuse things more :lol:

Original Poster Banned

Apparently...
I can tow anything upto the weight of my car without passing another test.

peodude;4787654

Then they don't know what they're talking about Or if it was someone … Then they don't know what they're talking about Or if it was someone associated with tests they were trying to get more money.

Thanks hun

peodude;4787453

I don't think that's right. You can EITHER- Tow up to 750kg OR - Tow a … I don't think that's right. You can EITHER- Tow up to 750kg OR - Tow a combination up to 3500kg, but the trailer must not be heavier than the MAM of the car.Anything over a combination of 3500kg, or to tow anything heavier than the car, then you need to take the B+E license for towing.I agree, the rules as they stand are as clear as mud. Why have two options, why not just have one.

Remember you'd be lucky to pull anything over 3500kg anyway, as most tow bars are only warranted to tow 2800kg.

Braked trailers come into the equation at some point too.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??1010
    2. Sad news about Barcelona67
    3. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2446
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213604

See more discussions