Groups

    toxicity of florescent tube gas leak

    Switched on a florescent tube @ work and a load of white gas poured out. What is the gas and how safe is it to work in that room?

    13 Comments

    if your not dead yet your probably going to die within the next 100 years...

    depending on the age of the tube , it would probably contain mercury which isnt good for your health, im guessing there wasnt any covers over the tubes either to prevent this

    Original Poster

    No filter if that's what you mean

    The powder not gas I think you are referring to is phosphor. The amount of mercury in a tube is minimal. 30 years ago when disposing of blown tubes we used to have to smash them first. We also used to play with mercury at school and flick it around a table. Nnnnever did me any mrah. Don't worry about it.

    Original Poster

    Bal00chi

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-are-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs-Dangerous-83131.shtml



    Just a small amount of Mercury then.
    Happened half an hour ago so should be OK now

    Original Poster

    liamf12

    The powder not gas I think you are referring to is phosphor. The amount … The powder not gas I think you are referring to is phosphor. The amount of mercury in a tube is minimal. 30 years ago when disposing of blown tubes we used to have to smash them first. We also used to play with mercury at school and flick it around a table. Nnnnever did me any mrah. Don't worry about it.



    Okay so no real danger from phosphorus

    One exploded about 12 years ago when I was walking under it and I'm still heeeerrrr arghhhhh......

    Long term exposure is not good; but from a single incident,...... just dont eat it.

    ****, a light has blown, initiate standard company protocols, Smithy, you evacuate everyone from the building. Trotter, post on a deal website to find out when it's safe to return.

    Well done men, disaster averted!

    When you say gas, do you really mean powder?

    Original Poster

    It was white and dense and floated so could of been powder or gas.
    Powder didn't drop out.
    Not inspected it to see if cracked just left it.

    This happened to me and a colleague at work. Nothing has ever come of it. This is us at last years Christmas party.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTKa3EJWsAACLDK.jpg
    Edited by: "TreeMunky" 23rd Jan

    If you got some of the powder on your face, doubt you'll have time to get your affairs in order.
    If I were you I would empty my bank account and head to the nearest pub. X)
    Post a comment
    Avatar
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99

      See more discussions