Toyota Avensis Diesel opinion

Found 3rd Oct 2017
Hello fellow hukd members

It could be the time that I have to change car.

currently drive afford focus tdci, it's on its way out, as it broke down yesterday, hoping tat it could be fixed and I can part exchange it.

I live in London but have to drive out a lot more than inside. for fuel economy I am thinking of another diesel engine,

Budget stretches to 8 k at max.

would you guys recommend any cars, need it to be bigger Than focus

Been thinking about Toyota Avensis D4D

Please advise what would you do

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
not sure if you would fancy that car but Honda civic 1.6I-DTEC pre 2017 facelift is probably the most economical (diesel/petrol) car out there, and right in your budget
Passat or Octavia estate
Edited by: "Van1973" 3rd Oct 2017
mattsk3rd Oct

not sure if you would fancy that car but Honda civic 1.6I-DTEC pre 2017 …not sure if you would fancy that car but Honda civic 1.6I-DTEC pre 2017 facelift is probably the most economical (diesel/petrol) car out there, and right in your budget

I've had one for the last 3 1/2 years.

It's been utterly reliable and averaged 63 mpg over 72000 miles.

Not the most exciting drive, but if reliability and fuel economy are you main concerns its right up there.
Edited by: "Bobbajob" 6th Oct 2017
have a look at a VW Jetta they are just as big as a Passat and have reliable underpinning and cheaper than the Passat or the golf that they are loosely based on.
Davis Logan, £7295 otr road with a 3 year warranty and break down cover plus no not for 3 years, petrol but will achieve 50+mpg with its 3 cylinder engine.

32158989-nwHOv.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 3rd Oct 2017
POWYSWALES35 m ago

Davis Logan, £7295 otr road with a 3 year warranty and break down cover …Davis Logan, £7295 otr road with a 3 year warranty and break down cover plus no not for 3 years, petrol but will achieve 50+mpg with its 3 cylinder engine.[Image]

Lol, Are you sponsored by Dacia?. Very basic, Lack refinement and once you've spec'd it up it'll just about be on par with others but it will still look ugly and made out of recycled cheese from the Renault trash can. It's got no balls either, My grandad could walk faster, 0-60 in 3 days ;). It's cheap because it's an unrefined Renault. Buy a second hand old Merc and live with a little luxury like electric windows, Cruise control etc.. etc..
The Avensis D4D is a good car. I had one as a company car when they first came out in 2009 and did almost 100K miles in it without an issue. In 2012 they updated the engine so it was more economical but similar to drive. Avoid the 2.2 diesel though as they have issues. Later ones have BMW sourced engines but I have not driven one so cannot comment.

What you need to consider is the mileage and journeys you drive. All modern diesels have DPFs which need to have the right type of driving to keep them in the best state. This means longer journeys where the engine is fully up to temperature on a regular basis. Also modern diesels give good fuel mileage but they are very complicated and can be very expensive when they do go wrong. All your savings can be wiped out in an instance. If you drive less than about 12K miles a year consider petrol.

Given you live in London, I would go petrol or Hybrid. Anything other than Euro 6 may well get congestion charged in the future. What about an Auris Estate hybrid? Or an Auris Estate 1.3 VVTI?
He requested a car larger than a focus (estate presumably?) so the Civic and Dacia Logan are both out, and the Jetta/Octavia are questionable.

Honda's 1.6 is a great engine for efficiency but they never fitted it to the accord so the biggest cars that had it were the Civic Estate and CR-V, neither of which are that much bigger than a focus.

Most of the big estates tend to do mid-forties mpg in diesel. There's lots of choice though, I Personally liked the Peugeot 508, Volvo V70, Subaru Legacy/Outback and Skoda Superb. Subaru didn't fudge their efficiency figures like other brands did, so don't be put off by the worse-on-paper fuel economy and emissions. They're very similar in reality (one of the better ones actually).
Original Poster
Thanks guys

Really appreciate you advice

I would prefer something larger than Civic,

Thabks for recommending Dacia but not in consideration.

When I broke down I asked two recovery drivers there experience of recovering vehicles.

One of them said to avoid ...VWs Mercs and Audis
Original Poster
He recommended Japanese cars that's why I ahve been considering Aveneis
Might get a Mazda 6 around five / six yo for that budget. I'm on my third Mazda 6 (although petrol now) and they are great cars. Another one to consider would be the Hyundai i40.
rambobambo56 m ago

Thanks guysReally appreciate you adviceI would prefer something larger …Thanks guysReally appreciate you adviceI would prefer something larger than Civic, Thabks for recommending Dacia but not in consideration.When I broke down I asked two recovery drivers there experience of recovering vehicles.One of them said to avoid ...VWs Mercs and Audis

You need to consider that majority of the broken cars will be VW BMW or Merc purely because they have over 50%/ of the market hence more visible on roads. Take Ferrari and probably he will say most reliable out of all but how many do you actually see being driven ?
Don't buy a expensive car because in 2 years london will charge for diesel pollution cars
I would avoid anything VW group (VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi) that has required the emission fix.

Why not go for another Ford? A Mondeo is a good car and great value, Just avoid the 1.6 Diesel.
Original Poster
paul123edwards17 m ago

I would avoid anything VW group (VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi) that has required …I would avoid anything VW group (VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi) that has required the emission fix.Why not go for another Ford? A Mondeo is a good car and great value, Just avoid the 1.6 Diesel.

Thanks did think about Mondeo

Don't know which engine in diesel type is good obviously except 1.6 diesel as you advised
Original Poster
Any advice guys..how is BMW 5 series diesel like..
rambobambo16 m ago

Any advice guys..how is BMW 5 series diesel like..

The N47 engine? Good efficiency, but it did have a major timing chain issue. Plus it's likely to be a couple of years older and more worn on a 5-series compared to less expensive alternatives.

Worth considering if you like it, but not something I'd be rushing out to buy from a practicality/efficiency standpoint.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves1 h, 45 m ago

The N47 engine? Good efficiency, but it did have a major timing chain …The N47 engine? Good efficiency, but it did have a major timing chain issue. Plus it's likely to be a couple of years older and more worn on a 5-series compared to less expensive alternatives. Worth considering if you like it, but not something I'd be rushing out to buy from a practicality/efficiency standpoint.

Thanks

I ahve now started to consider 2.0 TDI Volkswagen Passat or alternative is 1.6 TDI Passat

Anny advice please, both are bluemotion
I use a lot of hire cars to get around the country. I always have to refuel them before return so I'm aware of the real world mpg. On the same run the VAG 2.0 engines are the most economical, but I would beware the VAG ecu fix which ruined my neighbours VW Golf. My next favourite, and many will laugh, is the 2.0 CDTi Vauxhall Insignia, only this model for various reasons. They go pretty cheap 2nd. hand. Fab on the motorway and very frugal on the diesel.
rambobambo17 h, 38 m ago

ThanksI ahve now started to consider 2.0 TDI Volkswagen Passat or …ThanksI ahve now started to consider 2.0 TDI Volkswagen Passat or alternative is 1.6 TDI PassatAnny advice please, both are bluemotion

Both decent cars. Check the cambelt history of any passat you're interested in - need to be done every 5 years or 80K for the likely age you're after, otherwise you may have a £400 bill due soon.
Edited by: "Van1973" 4th Oct 2017
rambobambo17 h, 43 m ago

ThanksI ahve now started to consider 2.0 TDI Volkswagen Passat or …ThanksI ahve now started to consider 2.0 TDI Volkswagen Passat or alternative is 1.6 TDI PassatAnny advice please, both are bluemotion

It's pretty efficient with mid-range reliability but you get the same mechanicals on the much nicer Skoda Superb.
Original Poster
Thanks guys
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions