Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy

Found 18th Sep 2017
Rumors started a week or so ago that the USA based Toys R Us were facing an uncertain future & it looks increasingly likely that they may file for Chapter 11 Protection in the bankruptcy courts before Christmas ( protects them from others filing for bankruptcy against them, which enables them to try to formulate a plan / re-organise the business & come to terms with creditors).
It seems that since the rumours started, more & more suppliers are cutting back on shipments to them & tightening their payment terms just in case they do go bankrupt, thus making it even harder to trade.
No official comment has be made as of now & when the UK division was asked for comments, they ignored the request - full story HERE & HERE

Will be really sad if this does happen, it used to be the go to toy shop for us when my now adult son was younger, but I must admit our local one (still over 35 miles away) has been hit hard by the opening of the brighter, somehow more dynamic Smyths Toys nearby. It's shelves appear half empty, broken bulbs not replaced & very much a ghost town except for the run up to Christmas & some Saturday mornings.

Fingers crossed that they can sort something out, there must be a lot of worried employees out there at the moment!
Community Updates
Misc
30 Comments
We've just had a new store open up 5 miles away literally in the last 3 weeks which seems weird timing if this was going to happen.

Huge amount of local publicity etc aswell
Better spend all your GV right now just in case. Not long before Xmas.
Went over last weekend and some weekdays to Coventry branch it was empty nobody except us went over to smyths and it was booming. Toys r us do price match with other stores but to be honest lots of stuff in smyths was more expensive anyway. I use both but honestly Smyths stores do look a lot better and more up to date. Hopefully they can survive but with nobody going to the stores I can't see it.
Edited by: "larrylightweight" 18th Sep 2017
winifer10 m ago

We've just had a new store open up 5 miles away literally in the last 3 …We've just had a new store open up 5 miles away literally in the last 3 weeks which seems weird timing if this was going to happen.Huge amount of local publicity etc aswell

In for a penny in for a pound.

Toys R Us AG (UK) is a different company as Toys R Us Inc. (US) but im guessing owned by the same people, so it depends how fudged Inc. is as to whether this will effect the UK
veedubjai8 m ago

Better spend all your GV right now just in case. Not long before Xmas.

Also I'd be worried if I had one of those payment plans people use before Christmas where you pay so much a week and they deliver everything in December loads of people use those plans I remember a few years back when a catalog like studio went bust and thousands lost out this could end the same way.
We went to our local this morning and we were the only people there. I've always found them an exspensive shop but their prices have been a bit better recently. Especially online. They do price match their online prices instore but not everyone knows that.

Wonder what will be of the payment plans. Worth checking if you have one.
Mothercare will be next, cannot believe the prices they charge in that shop!
Recent thread from 8 September 2017 on the same subject:

[ hotukdeals.com/dis…343 ]
Annoying. This was the only retailer that didn't cancel my SNES Classic pre-order.
Boring and uninspiring retailer who refused to move with the times, what could of been
deleted1431257
Bad news for those who preordered the 3DS SNES Edition with ToysRUs...
We paid a couple of visits to Shrewsbury store recently, it always strikes me as an odd place as there are loads of tills but never more than one or two on them. There's also a separate lot of tills which are never ever manned. Seems bizarre when retail space is at a premium and you'd expect them to maximise their retail offering. On our last visit we were going to buy something but it went through at the wrong price. Manager went and checked in the back office and said yes that was the right price - seemed odd to me that she was presumably checking the price in the system as per the till, which wasn't what we were disputing - we were disputing that the shelf ticket showed a lower price. Her attitude was shocking and my wife just said "forget it"
the internet is a great thing, but often ends up with people adding information which is simply wrong, the title from the OP is simply wrong, they are filing for protection to allow them to refinance their current debt, close stores more easily and many companies come out of it so, saying no more is simply wrong.
Must admit not surprised if its true. In the times I have used them I have had a bad experience and customer service was lacking at times. But also the fact they are so expensive for the same things you can get on let say Amazon I would not miss them .
hass1232 h, 24 m ago

Bad news for those who preordered the 3DS SNES Edition with ToysRUs...

Why? No confirmation on what’s happening to stores yet. Chapter 11 doesn’t mean closure or admin.
mtuk15 m ago

Why? No confirmation on what’s happening to stores yet. Chapter 11 doesn’t …Why? No confirmation on what’s happening to stores yet. Chapter 11 doesn’t mean closure or admin.

I reported this thread over an hour ago but the title still hasn't been changed wonder what Pepper would say if someone wrote this sort of headline about them
I have 3 Toys R Us stores within a 6 mile radius of me in Glasgow, doesn't matter which one I go in they always seem dead, except for maybe on Saturdays, even in the school holidays they never seem to pick up much. As a someone stated this might not affect UK stores, however you would expect some impact down the line.

I really hope all those with lay-away plans aren't affected before Christmas comes, however if it was me I would be looking into what I could do to pre-empt any potential impact and to try and recover as much money or the products now.
One for a Private Equity firm to kick into touch.
larrylightweight6 h, 26 m ago

Went over last weekend and some weekdays to Coventry branch it was empty …Went over last weekend and some weekdays to Coventry branch it was empty nobody except us went over to smyths and it was booming. Toys r us do price match with other stores but to be honest lots of stuff in smyths was more expensive anyway. I use both but honestly Smyths stores do look a lot better and more up to date. Hopefully they can survive but with nobody going to the stores I can't see it.

Twice tried getting Toys R Us to price match our local The Entertainer on products they had in stock at Christmas and both times epic failures. Toys R Us price match I have found complete bollo**s! I was told at Christmas I would need to prove they had stock, WTF I was just there across town do they want me to go back and take a photo then return...... Yes! utterly stupid! I generally avoid Toys R Us unless they have a specific offer as they are generally poor value....
winifer7 h, 36 m ago

We've just had a new store open up 5 miles away literally in the last 3 …We've just had a new store open up 5 miles away literally in the last 3 weeks which seems weird timing if this was going to happen.Huge amount of local publicity etc aswell

Woolworths opened a new store 3 weeks before they went into administration.
McHotpoon1 h, 39 m ago

Twice tried getting Toys R Us to price match our local The Entertainer on …Twice tried getting Toys R Us to price match our local The Entertainer on products they had in stock at Christmas and both times epic failures. Toys R Us price match I have found complete bollo**s! I was told at Christmas I would need to prove they had stock, WTF I was just there across town do they want me to go back and take a photo then return...... Yes! utterly stupid! I generally avoid Toys R Us unless they have a specific offer as they are generally poor value....

my local has "always" priced matched any retailer we have shown them with lower prices (on our phone)never a need to prove they had stock,ive had at least 20 price matches this year
Edited by: "jamstaruk1972" 18th Sep 2017
foxbusiness.com/mar…tml

Its happened. Personally, for the YS division, this is it. They make their money this time of year,with items in high demand. If you are a supplier and can send those high demand items to toys r us or someone who hasn't filed chapter 11, you send them to someone who hasn't filed because it's less risk. No idea how this impacts the UK but you'd have to be nuts to risk it IMO
Never bought anything from them after an experience at one of their shops in the late 90s when I was stopped by security on the way out of the shop when they asked to search my bag, when I said no they basically accused me of shoplifting and threatened to call the police.
Guess everyone's forgotten how the arrival of out-of-town meglo-marts like Toys R Us killed the high street toy shop. Progress is progress. If you race to the bottom on price then the advent of a well organised online-only e-tailer like Amazon was inevitable.
Why post something that's JUST a rumour! This could potentially be the knife in the coffin for this business as most will now avoid it Wether it is true or not
Edited by: "nightshadeUK" 19th Sep 2017
Spend any gift vouchers !!! I have £300 that Iam spending today . Iam not taking the risk . If uk toys r u get in to trouble then gift vouchers could become worthless .
McHotpoon18th Sep

Twice tried getting Toys R Us to price match our local The Entertainer on …Twice tried getting Toys R Us to price match our local The Entertainer on products they had in stock at Christmas and both times epic failures. Toys R Us price match I have found complete bollo**s! I was told at Christmas I would need to prove they had stock, WTF I was just there across town do they want me to go back and take a photo then return...... Yes! utterly stupid! I generally avoid Toys R Us unless they have a specific offer as they are generally poor value....

Actually it's a fair point by toys r us every other retailer that price match also say items must be in stock at the other store you are price matching against. All you had to do was show them on your phone item is in stock and they would of priced matched it most likely with out any problem.
My local toys r us has always been a nightmare for price match, they do everything they can to avoid it which means I generally just go elsewhere.
It's a tragical place, bailliffs on their way there, with debt in the millions, they're taking the roof. Its called Toys are Us
bbc.co.uk/new…182

Good luck to anyone affected, right before xmas.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants