Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Track and trace app (covid 19)

Posted 3rd May
Hello,
I live on the Isle Of Wight where the new app is supposed to be imminently available to us here. I already guess by having a smartphone, google account, facebook other apps that my data is probably being used so have been not too worried about downloading this app. That's until I start reading other peoples opinions about this app and the majority of comments are people who are totally against it as a huge invasion of privacy and a new surveillance agenda.

Since I am a bit of a noob at software and these apps is it safe to download it when the time comes? Would you download it yourself? Although I am not sure how effective it will be generally in dealing with the pandemic is there any harm in having it on my phone? People seem tech savvy here so I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance for opinions and advice.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Get it installed and do your bit for the NHS and society so we can get back to some normality, You can soon uninstall it at a later stage etc..
mucklebones03/05/2020 20:55

Interesting read thanks.

Ignore it.

Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that article is just FUD.

And even in the event it is how it pans out - when you stop using it once we have a vaccine/it dies out, they don't have your location.

So they know where you were for a few of months in 2020. Big deal. They can already know where you are by asking the mobile networks for a record of your tower pings.

Unless you are a criminal there's no harm in the app even if it overly-shares and logs info.
14 Comments
You've already kissed goodbye to some privacy by stating that you live on IoW.
superspod03/05/2020 20:39

I wouldn't install it. …I wouldn't install it. https://tech.newstatesman.com/security/uk-infosec-experts-flag-concern-over-nhsx-contact-tracing-app

Interesting read thanks.
mucklebones03/05/2020 20:55

Interesting read thanks.

Ignore it.

Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that article is just FUD.

And even in the event it is how it pans out - when you stop using it once we have a vaccine/it dies out, they don't have your location.

So they know where you were for a few of months in 2020. Big deal. They can already know where you are by asking the mobile networks for a record of your tower pings.

Unless you are a criminal there's no harm in the app even if it overly-shares and logs info.
Get it installed and do your bit for the NHS and society so we can get back to some normality, You can soon uninstall it at a later stage etc..
I'd install it, I haven't seen the details of how it works, but supposedly who you associate with will only be stored on your own phone, so you'd only be exposing the info if you indicate that you have symptoms.

If you use an android phone, google knows far more about you!

Presumably, they'll be using the isle of widget as a model for the UK, and be aiming to follow though after the trial and eliminate the virus there completely to get an idea of how long and how many staff it will take to do the same for the whole UK.
Edited by: "melted" 3rd May
They said that if you come in contact with someone who has had symptoms of the virus then you should self isolate.

Question is how many people would?
plebbygiraffe03/05/2020 21:37

Ignore it.Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that …Ignore it.Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that article is just FUD.And even in the event it is how it pans out - when you stop using it once we have a vaccine/it dies out, they don't have your location.So they know where you were for a few of months in 2020. Big deal. They can already know where you are by asking the mobile networks for a record of your tower pings.Unless you are a criminal there's no harm in the app even if it overly-shares and logs info.

Well this is how I felt, I have nothing to hide so all should be good right. There seems to be a large amount of paranoir surrounding this app so I just wanted to ask around incase I missed something.

Ignore it.Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that …Ignore it.Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that article is just FUD.And even in the event it is how it pans out - when you stop using it once we have a vaccine/it dies out, they don't have your location.So they know where you were for a few of months in 2020. Big deal. They can already know where you are by asking the mobile networks for a record of your tower pings.Unless you are a criminal there's no harm in the app even if it overly-shares and logs info.

But some of us are criminals
I've a library book in the house which should have been returned in 1984.
I don't want to face a large fine now.
Catcher in the rye it was.
dufflecoat_moon_turkey03/05/2020 22:43

But some of us are criminals I've a library book in the house which should …But some of us are criminals I've a library book in the house which should have been returned in 1984.I don't want to face a large fine now.Catcher in the rye it was.

Man with the nose plaster will be looking for you, assuming he's Enterprising enough to find his ride.

Ignore it.Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that …Ignore it.Until it launches and we know exactly how it functions that article is just FUD.

The government isn't providing any details so we don't know exactly how it functions, and it would be good to know before it launches. Other countries have chosen a decentralised approach but the UK has decided upon a privacy-invasive centralised approach and hasn't explained why. Open-source alternatives exist and Apple and Google have provided a framework but there are no details about the NHSX app and now we are expected to trust and install it. Trust has to be earned.
If someone used it and got the virus and it sends messages to everyone they were in contact with surely everyone would then know who it must be and I wouldn't want everyone to know. It could lead to a lot of ginger pointing and bullying and accusations
nadhaw04/05/2020 07:53

If someone used it and got the virus and it sends messages to everyone …If someone used it and got the virus and it sends messages to everyone they were in contact with surely everyone would then know who it must be and I wouldn't want everyone to know. It could lead to a lot of ginger pointing and bullying and accusations

Supposedly, your contacts in the last week or so are notified anonymously that they have probably been exposed, some may still be able to work out it was you if they've only come into contact with one or two people, but they are going to work it out anyway, once they get symptoms. It also won't necessarily follow that you gave it to them, as they might have infected you while they were asymptomatic.

Chances are once manual contact tracing is put in place, if you are infected you will be questioned while you are ill and expected to provide a list of contacts anyway, and I doubt it will go down well if you refuse to comply.

If I get infected, the last thing I'd want (other than dying myself) is someone I've inadvertently infected spreading it to their friends, relatives and contacts, who could then die, just to protect my privacy.
Edited by: "melted" 4th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions