Trade in your mobile and tablet for Argos vouchers in store from today (27th July) @ Argos

Found 27th Jul 2015
Argos has launched a new service, from today you can trade in your old mobiles and tablets for store credit, unfortunately they do not allow you to get a valuation before you get to store, so it could be a con and works on the basis of you not knowing the value of your phone. make sure you have a braod idea what it is worth before you go instore.

argos.co.uk/sta…htm
Community Updates
38 Comments
Can't see them offering a great price.
you might be better of re-purposing an old phone as a music station via cable or Bluetooth to your HiFi or speakers.
Get the cex price first. I can't see them beating that, but you never know.
"Look after the environment, and your pocket" look after their pockets more like!!

Comment

Derek_Duval

Get the cex price first. I can't see them beating that, but you never … Get the cex price first. I can't see them beating that, but you never know.

What's cex
chrisf74

CommentWhat's cex

the stolen stuff shop, where people sell their stolen stuff for credit or cash (cash offers are always crap) and use said credit to buy other stolen stuff

uk.webuy.com/
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 27th Jul 2015
It's ok i found it?? Another blatant rip off company, they'll pay £156 for a ps4 and sell it for £270

Shisters
chrisf74

It's ok i found it?? Another blatant rip off company, they'll pay £156 … It's ok i found it?? Another blatant rip off company, they'll pay £156 for a ps4 and sell it for £270 Shisters

you are not meant to take the cash, that is why they offer so low, they work on their own version of currency, a bit like game, they offer you credit so you can buy the other overpriced stuff
chrisf74

CommentWhat's cex

That's what you say after 10 years of marriage.
Aeschylus

the stolen stuff shop, where people sell their stolen stuff for credit or … the stolen stuff shop, where people sell their stolen stuff for credit or cash (cash offers are always crap) and use said credit to buy other stolen stuffhttps://uk.webuy.com/

After just having an attic clearout and several items to sell (and have used CEX before) I find your comment a broad sweeping generalisation, none of my stuff is stolen and if you are trading in items for other stuff..obviously dependent on what you are trading you will do better than trying to car boot it or eBay it with listing fees and the added hassle of postage.
Maybe not a popular opinion, but...

The last 2 items that I've sold to CEX have both got me about 10% less in cash than I would have made on eBay (after fees) and without any of the considerable risks associated with eBay.

I recently sold them a 10.1" Tab 2 for £85 which I paid £145 for in 2013 - getting back over 50% of the purchase price for unboxed 2.5 year old tech can't be bad!
ilikewatch

Maybe not a popular opinion, but...The last 2 items that I've sold to CEX … Maybe not a popular opinion, but...The last 2 items that I've sold to CEX have both got me about 10% less in cash than I would have made on eBay (after fees) and without any of the considerable risks associated with eBay.I recently sold them a 10.1" Tab 2 for £85 which I paid £145 for in 2013 - getting back over 50% of the purchase price for unboxed 2.5 year old tech can't be bad!

that's a pretty good price, might do the same with mine. was that cash for the tab 2?
SpoonyBoy

that's a pretty good price, might do the same with mine. was that cash … that's a pretty good price, might do the same with mine. was that cash for the tab 2?

​Yes, cash, though I expect the price has dropped since as Argos etc have heavily discounted the Tab 4 - the cex.co.uk website will tell you their current buy-in prices.
SpoonyBoy

that's a pretty good price, might do the same with mine. was that cash … that's a pretty good price, might do the same with mine. was that cash for the tab 2?

​Yes, cash - the price has probably dropped now as newer versions of the Tab have been heavily discounted by retailers. You can check the current buy-in price at cex.co.uk
backinstock

That's what you say after 10 years of marriage.

Indeed,other things are more important on the to do list X)
chrisf74

It's ok i found it?? Another blatant rip off company, they'll pay £156 … It's ok i found it?? Another blatant rip off company, they'll pay £156 for a ps4 and sell it for £270 Shisters

​OMG a retailer taking the risk of buying in used tech and having to warranty it on re-sale and they have the cheek to want to make a profit.

Out of interest, what sort of margins do you think other successful retailers work to?
ilikewatch

​OMG a retailer taking the risk of buying in used tech and having to w … ​OMG a retailer taking the risk of buying in used tech and having to warranty it on re-sale and they have the cheek to want to make a profit.Out of interest, what sort of margins do you think other successful retailers work to?

Also don't forget included into their selling price they have to charge 20% vat.
Cex are to make a profile. Of course they offer less.

They base selling price on ebays current price.

Depending on what you sell I tend to try gumtree first. Then check between cex and eBay. Cex is easy. eBay can be a pain depending on items, and fees.

Cex is good to get rid of rubbish that won't sell on eBay. esp cheap android tablets.
cicobuff

After just having an attic clearout and several items to sell (and have … After just having an attic clearout and several items to sell (and have used CEX before) I find your comment a broad sweeping generalisation, none of my stuff is stolen and if you are trading in items for other stuff..obviously dependent on what you are trading you will do better than trying to car boot it or eBay it with listing fees and the added hassle of postage.

it was just tongue in cheek, however having witnessed first hand a man walk in with just a phone and nothing else, and he did not know any details about it, they stood there and priced it for him, and not once did they actually ask him if he was the owner, I would be wary of buying a phone from them, but as you say a lot of people take their junk (including me) to them, rather than chucking it in the bin
Aeschylus

it was just tongue in cheek, however having witnessed first hand a man … it was just tongue in cheek, however having witnessed first hand a man walk in with just a phone and nothing else, and he did not know any details about it, they stood there and priced it for him, and not once did they actually ask him if he was the owner, I would be wary of buying a phone from them, but as you say a lot of people take their junk (including me) to them, rather than chucking it in the bin

To be honest they have never asked me if I am the owner of the phone when I have previously traded in my old phones...although they don't really need to ask you verbally as:

They perform IMEI checks to see if the phone is reported as stolen.
They always ask you to sign to say the item you are trading in/selling is legally yours.
To sell stuff to cex for cash or trade you do need to have registered ID. So if they are stupid enough to trade in stolen gear. It won't take long to find them. Especially phones of they get blocked.
chrisf74

how is it a rip-off? noone's forcing you to sell a thing to them... you're perfectly entitled to go sell it somewhere else if you can find a better price. stupid comment...
Popped into Argos yesterday, they offered me £63 in vouchers for my good condition Note 2.

Cex are offering about £90 cash and £130 store credit.

Most other places are offering about £70.
paulj48

Also don't forget included into their selling price they have to charge … Also don't forget included into their selling price they have to charge 20% vat.

No they don't: read up on VAT magin scheme for 2nd hand goods. Plus other schemes and reliefs means they probably get paid!
DonkeyKonk

Popped into Argos yesterday, they offered me £63 in vouchers for my good … Popped into Argos yesterday, they offered me £63 in vouchers for my good condition Note 2.Cex are offering about £90 cash and £130 store credit.Most other places are offering about £70.

I knew it would not be good as they wont let you look at the prices
Cex is by far the best. Argos are giving vouchers
From time to time I'm buying from CEX and never had any problem also you get 12 month warranty. They have sometimes good prices too. I've bought Huawei P7 for £130 grade B because no original box, phone itself in new condition. Same with Xperia Z3C £220 as new few months back with receipt and warranty. Had issue with HTC Desire from them and it has been replaced with another one. Cannot fault them, but cash for sell is a pain coz low rate, better to get CEX Voucher especially if you plan to buy another item there. Last time I have exchanged HTC ONE M7 for £120 voucher and add £100 to get Xperia Z3C. I know some people can blame CEX for some reason but they are good for me so far. Bradford and Halifax store. Maybe I'm just lucky.
bought an iphone 5 at cex got blocked after 2 months
thomas25

bought an iphone 5 at cex got blocked after 2 months

Comes with a 12 month warranty. Return it. Simple ! And person who traded it in with get a load of hassle.
yeah they sorted it after a lot of hassle
Aeschylus

the stolen stuff shop, where people sell their stolen stuff for credit or … the stolen stuff shop, where people sell their stolen stuff for credit or cash (cash offers are always crap) and use said credit to buy other stolen stuffhttps://uk.webuy.com/

seems about right
CEX have to be the worst of the bunch for trade in prices. Offered them my HTC Desire Z in mint condition a few years back, they wanted to pay £30 and were selling them for £110, sold it on a local selling site for £90 within hours of it being on there.

Just look at the prices on the S5, they pay less than half of what they sell them for - https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=S5&section=

The selling price on games isn't bad, but still more than you'll pay online buying them.
no idea why people are slating cex so much, ive had no trouble from them and been trading with them for years, try taking your things to game, they are the real robbers
Edited by: "realdarkprince" 27th Jul 2015
chrisf74

"Look after the environment, and your pocket" look after their pockets … "Look after the environment, and your pocket" look after their pockets more like!!

How dare a business try to make money.

But yes, just like GAME, the prices offered I am sure will be a joke
Edited by: "benjammin316" 28th Jul 2015
So what would you like a business to offer you for taking your old unwanted electrics off you. Which to be honest is a deprecating asset.
Aeschylus

it was just tongue in cheek, however having witnessed first hand a man … it was just tongue in cheek, however having witnessed first hand a man walk in with just a phone and nothing else, and he did not know any details about it, they stood there and priced it for him, and not once did they actually ask him if he was the owner, I would be wary of buying a phone from them, but as you say a lot of people take their junk (including me) to them, rather than chucking it in the bin

If it was stolen, they're not going to admit it, so asking if they own the phone is a waste of time.
Aeschylus

the stolen stuff shop, where people sell their stolen stuff for credit or … the stolen stuff shop, where people sell their stolen stuff for credit or cash (cash offers are always crap) and use said credit to buy weed

Fixed.
Got four Blackberry Playbooks that would work perfectly fine if we could get them to flaming charge.Would they take them? I cant see them being worth much if anything at all
How much for an old Nexus 7 tablet?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants