Expired

Tradesman refuses to work on my house as it is tagged or blacklisted - is this possible?

Found 26th Nov 2012
Hi

I had 3 people round to quote on some fence repairs and no-one quoted. So I asked one why and apparently there are secret sites which trademen use to see if you are a safe bet as a customer and our address was, I quote, "tagged" - apparently the site he used has the name soul in its title but no more iformation would he divulge...

Can anyone help on this - I'd like to see the comments - This is NOT a credit site but a reputation site for sole-traders...

Anyway, all three of have just lost a few thousand pounds of business - their loss - what recession?.

Thanks
Community Updates
MiscSplinter Cell
69 Comments
never heard of a builder doing a credit check on someone.
they can ask for money (or most of it) upfront before they do the work so the credit check doesn't really matter.
Banned
if there was such a site, why would they even bother visiting the premises?

it's just they don't like you. deal with it.
kunyk

if there was such a site, why would they even bother visiting the … if there was such a site, why would they even bother visiting the premises?it's just they don't like you. deal with it.

yes. they either don't want to work for you or they don't think that their quote would be affordable to you.
They dont think the job is worth enough £s
Banned
You need to update the relevant credit agencies

ico.gov.uk/for…spx
WoolyM

They dont think the job is worth enough £s

the OP states that the builders have potentially lost thousands of pounds worth of work in his opening post.
mutley1

the OP states that the builders have potentially lost thousands of pounds … the OP states that the builders have potentially lost thousands of pounds worth of work in his opening post.

Yeah I know
Obviously just don't want the work
how can fence repairs equal thousands of pounds?
Probably take too long, possibly be able to earn more profit from taking on smaller jobs rather than a big one?
pinkleponkle

Big fenced area?
pinkleponkle

if a whole fence needs replacing, it can be thousands. i had a quote for a fence replacement recently (just one long fence) for £1,300.
By any chance.. Did the tradesmen walk, smile and generally look like this guy?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120106052215/villains/images/c/c4/TrollFaceDancing.gif
Edited by: "PhearFactor" 26th Nov 2012
mutley1

the OP states that the builders have potentially lost thousands of pounds … the OP states that the builders have potentially lost thousands of pounds worth of work in his opening post.

It must be a rather big fence then. X)

It's probably not worth it for them or they cba./

pinkleponkle

big house, I got quoted over£2k to replace 20 panels and posts (included digging out old ones and disposal of old kit)
I wouldn't worry about it OP.

Just ask for more quotes. It may take a few goes before you can find someone decent.
[img]birmingham.gov.uk/cs/…ite?blobcol=urldata&blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223391203023&ssbinary=true[/img]
Do it yourself, its a doddle.
Banned
Really my post was deleted it was a serious question

Mods in a dream world again
Original Poster
140 yards of ranch like fencing, going through concrete... any ideas what a fair cost would be?
TiscaliSurvivor

140 yards of ranch like fencing, going through concrete... any ideas what … 140 yards of ranch like fencing, going through concrete... any ideas what a fair cost would be?

depends on where you are and who you get as prices can vary significantly between builders. sounds like a very long fence so thousands. which may explain why you have not had any quotes yet as it is a very big job and the people you have called are either not capable of doing such big jobs or if they quote they know you can never afford it.
How long have you lived there? If a short time, would the neighbours know anything about previous work being carried out and not been paid for or a dispute?

I've never heard of a site for tradesmen to share information on which addresses are good for money because every tradesman I've ever met doesn't give a flying f**k whether any other tradesman gets stitched up or not as all they're interested in is earning the readies for themselves.
Original Poster
Mark2111

How long have you lived there? If a short time, would the neighbours … How long have you lived there? If a short time, would the neighbours know anything about previous work being carried out and not been paid for or a dispute? I've never heard of a site for tradesmen to share information on which addresses are good for money because every tradesman I've ever met doesn't give a flying f**k whether any other tradesman gets stitched up or not as all they're interested in is earning the readies for themselves.

15 years - apparently there are three such sites which you cannot find on the web...
I'm sorry but I all sounds a bit far fetched. Tradesmen with secret sites on the Internet? Surely someone would have blabbed about it, or do they have secret handshakes like the Masons?

If you've been living there for fifteen years then why would your address be on a website as blacklisted? If you've never not paid for any work done then the previous owners were there fifteen years ago when the Internet has only been around twenty odd years so unlikely for your address to be on there.

They've made up an excuse no to do the work.

They've made up an excuse no to do the work.

This - clearly something about the job that they didn't like & made up a very vague excuse with a partial name of a website.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 26th Nov 2012
Needing to dig through concrete may be part of the reason why. It will take a lot of hard work and more tools than the usual fly by night fence fitter may have to hand. Big job + big work = big £s. Or hire or buy the relevant bits and do the job yourself or with people you know.
Banned
Sites you can't find on the web? What a load of utter crap
dimebars

Deep web brah.

It's a place you can buy sex slaves, heroin, unlicensed handguns and comment on whether Mr Jones down the road is likely to pay you for re-grouting their en-suite
www.tradesman_with_good_souls.con
dimebars

yes. and i work for the CIA.
What fence have you got there at the moment op? Does the whole fence require replacing or just sections of it?
Please see below for the cure to your current predicament.....HTH

[img]images-its.chemistdirect.co.uk/Lyn…jpg?o=rC2no2Vm9@zmuSJenZ1TkY5IPV0j&V=B1Z9[/img]
Edited by: "markq" 26th Nov 2012
WoolyM

What fence have you got there at the moment op? Does the whole fence … What fence have you got there at the moment op? Does the whole fence require replacing or just sections of it?

it sounds like he does not currently have a fence and wants to put one in from scratch.
mutley1

it sounds like he does not currently have a fence and wants to put one in … it sounds like he does not currently have a fence and wants to put one in from scratch.

It says fence repairs in the op
seems you are on the
www.r-sole.com list
DAMNOME

seems you are on thehttp://www.r-sole.com list

My fingers gone sore trying to reach that site.
Joey Bloggsy

My fingers gone sore trying to reach that site.

Its your R.Sole you want to worry about!
markq

Its your R.Sole you want to worry about!

yep especially from your mobile cam, don't want your internal memory running out!
Op, I can only suggest not wearing the gimpsuit next time you have builders in quoting work.
Were they LOCAL builders?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions