Trading in 2 Cars - Help needed

So, we have 2 cars (both 2-3 yrs old) but we only need one (one has not moved off the drive for at least 3 months).

Was thinking of trading in both cars for 1 new one. Has anyone done this and will dealers be open to this kind of deal?

Thanks in advance for advice.

15 Comments

yep done it a few times myself

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972;5138488

yep done it a few times myself

How did you approach them, not sure were to start to be honest, but glad to hear it is doable.

You would be much better off selling privately. Put it on ebay or even try the robbers at [url]www.webuyanycar.com[/url]

No dealer is going to want to pay a decent px price for 2 cars to make one sale imo

Unless the price of the car they are selling is massively inflated anyway.

Banned

I'll do you a deal OP, give me £1,500 and I'll give you a £2,000 scrap certificate towards your new car :thumbsup:

We were in exactly the same predicament. Ford are taking both our cars in PX for a Galaxy. They are giving us £4K for both cars although we were going to scrap one of them and the other is only worth 3K at the most privately. We also got another £5k knocked off the price of the Galaxy so we are well happy. The salesman said they often take two or more cars as part exchange for new models.

sell them both privately on ebay and then buy a car over 10 years old with a full MOT (you can find one for around £400) and you can trade it in for £2,00 saving around £1,600 on the price of the new car and get a decent sale price or the other 2 cars you already own

p.s this only works when buying a brand new car

chris_b;5138720

sell them both privately on ebay and then buy a car over 10 years old … sell them both privately on ebay and then buy a car over 10 years old with a full MOT (you can find one for around £400) and you can trade it in for £2,00 saving around £1,600 on the price of the new car and get a decent sale price or the other 2 cars you already ownp.s this only works when buying a brand new car

and if you owned the car for a year. I`m afraid that is part of the deal if you are talking about the government sponsored scheme

Original Poster

mazburn;5138675

We were in exactly the same predicament. Ford are taking both our cars in … We were in exactly the same predicament. Ford are taking both our cars in PX for a Galaxy. They are giving us £4K for both cars although we were going to scrap one of them and the other is only worth 3K at the most privately. We also got another £5k knocked off the price of the Galaxy so we are well happy. The salesman said they often take two or more cars as part exchange for new models.

Thats what we're hoping to do, except both cars are still under warranty so would expect to get a fair amount for them (hopefully so we don't end up having to pay anything).

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

KazzyD;5139250

Thats what we're hoping to do, except both cars are still under warranty … Thats what we're hoping to do, except both cars are still under warranty so would expect to get a fair amount for them (hopefully so we don't end up having to pay anything).Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

i dont think you would get on very well with that thought. if youre cars are worth say 5,000 each and you wanted ti trade for a 10,000 car there would be no profit for the dealer. dont forget they only give you "book" price. still worth a try though. i supose it depends on what car you want.

sometimes though you can get good deals on nearly new models, or ex demos. it sounds as though you may have to do a fair bit off legwork.

i would aviiod ebay to sell the car due to fees, if you still have a warenty try to sell them privatly. you will get more money that way, when you see cars advertised privatly you dont often get a warenty, so that would be a good selling point. good luck

leecroot;5140185

i dont think you would get on very well with that thought. if youre cars … i dont think you would get on very well with that thought. if youre cars are worth say 5,000 each and you wanted ti trade for a 10,000 car there would be no profit for the dealer. dont forget they only give you "book" price. still worth a try though. i supose it depends on what car you want.sometimes though you can get good deals on nearly new models, or ex demos. it sounds as though you may have to do a fair bit off legwork.i would aviiod ebay to sell the car due to fees, if you still have a warenty try to sell them privatly. you will get more money that way, when you see cars advertised privatly you dont often get a warenty, so that would be a good selling point. good luck

Of course there is profit for the dealer I.e. they bought the car they are selling for 10k at 8k, they buy the cars from you at 5k (book price) by giving you the 10k car and they are on the forecourt the following day for 6k. That's 2k profit on the car and £2k on the two cars they can now sell. They have turned £8 into £12. Aslong as they pay the right price on the part-exchanged cars, it won't matter to them.

pghstochaj;5140253

Of course there is profit for the dealer I.e. they bought the car they … Of course there is profit for the dealer I.e. they bought the car they are selling for 10k at 8k, they buy the cars from you at 5k (book price) by giving you the 10k car and they are on the forecourt the following day for 6k. That's 2k profit on the car and £2k on the two cars they can now sell. They have turned £8 into £12. Aslong as they pay the right price on the part-exchanged cars, it won't matter to them.

i agree with what you are saying, and have no experience in selling cars, but i do know that dealers make a lot off money out off finance, and if this were the deal there would be no cash changing hands. what i was trying to say is that the seller wont get anywhere near the value for the cards as part off the deal. just my thoughts though.

leecroot;5140315

i agree with what you are saying, and have no experience in selling cars, … i agree with what you are saying, and have no experience in selling cars, but i do know that dealers make a lot off money out off finance, and if this were the deal there would be no cash changing hands. what i was trying to say is that the seller wont get anywhere near the value for the cards as part off the deal. just my thoughts though.

Well yes, they do, but they just factor that into the selling price of the car and the buying price of the part-exchanged cars. They won't get any more or less as far as I can see compared to part-exchanging for one car or two cars, the dealership will still want to make the same money on all the cars involved. Compared with a private sale, obviously there is money to be made there, but it can be a lot of hassle and not worth it.

at the end off the day the dealer will want to make money, so the seller will lose out. they will have to decide if they want the hassle of privatly selling the cars or trading them both in. the **** has dropped right out off the car market, its all a bit off a minefield. good luck too them.

Banned

leecroot;5140491

at the end off the day the dealer will want to make money, so the seller … at the end off the day the dealer will want to make money, so the seller will lose out.

thats the case regardless of whether you trade in 1 or 100 cars

leecroot;5140491

the **** has dropped right out off the car market,.

WRONG - the car market is as strong as ever - if you steer clear of new

Put simply heres how it works

If the dealer has £2000 profit in the car you want to buy he may use some of this profit to boost your PX price. For example your PX books at £5000 he may give you £5500 and be happy making £1500 instead of £2000. Commonly known as over-allowance.

Typically he will only over allow on 1 PX so you would get an infalted price for 1 and book price for the other.

At the end of the day, the price of the car you are buying and the PX prices you are offered are irrelevant. The cost to change (or the figure at the bottom of the page) is the important one to you. Concentrate on keeping your cost to change as low as possible

yep i did this to get my new fiesta, what I did was look on autotrader and see the prices theya re selling for privatly on there and then see how close the dealer will give you the price.

One of mine was an 01 Picasso on autotrader they were going for around £1200 - £1300 mine had a couple of problems and I got £1000 from the dealer, so was happy with that.

Also play the dealers off each other, i went into one ford dealer to get a price and deal etc, then went into my local one and said the other dealer would do me it for this and in the end got around £1500 more off the new car.

Also dont forget to include Full tank pof petrol etc when doing the deal otherwise you wont get anything once signed.

And one last thing - if you think you got a good deal then be happy with that, different people have different ideas of a good deal. if you walkj away happy then you got a good deal.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Stop everything, Nutella is bringing a biscuit snack to the market - Metro1312
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763948
    3. What an absolute disgrace2150
    4. GOT Leaks again416

See more discussions