Trading in X1 for IPhone - Best way to do this?

Hi,

I'm thinking about trading in my X1 for an unlocked 8GB IPhone 3G, I've had a look on the CEX site but it looks as though it would cost me a small fortune to do it through them, does anyone know of a good way how I could do this and also if anybody has any feedback of how well the IPhone works on Vodafone then this would also be appreciated.

Mods: I've put this thread in the Misc forum instead of FS/T or Deal Requests because I'm not actually requesting anything on here (as of yet) other than information, please feel free to move it if I've made a mistake though.

14 Comments

easiest way,lock this thread,wait 7 days,put a thread up in FS section asking for a trade and/or selling x1 and looking for an iphone.

Original Poster

Why wait for 7 days if you don't mind my asking?

I think I was trying to avoid trading with somebody directly over the net as I've never done that before and it all seems a bit dodgy.

Spark;5337516

Why wait for 7 days if you don't mind my asking?I think I was trying to … Why wait for 7 days if you don't mind my asking?I think I was trying to avoid trading with somebody directly over the net as I've never done that before and it all seems a bit dodgy.

Something to do with the rules

Buying an "unlocked iphone isn't like buyig an unlocked Nokia, with FW updates they remove the ability to "unlock" them, I assume you mean sim unlock, any phone running 2.2.1 + needs to be manufactured before Oct 08 in ordere to downgrade the baseband and then sim unlock, anything made after this which has been updated to 2.2.1 you simply can't sim unlock and I imagine most people would update when itunes tells them to.

Original Poster

I thought there was an app which can perform a network unlock on the iPhone 2G and 3G via Cydia.

Spark;5338211

I thought there was an app which can perform a network unlock on the … I thought there was an app which can perform a network unlock on the iPhone 2G and 3G via Cydia.

as above, depends on when it was built and FW version

Original Poster

Right, I did not know that, thanks, I suppose I'll need to keep my eye out then.

3G's can be unreliable to unlock as if updated to 2.2(.1) then they update the baseband to one that can not be unlocked.
2G iPhones however do not update to the higher baseband so can be unlocked even if updated.

Original Poster

I did think about the 2G and you can sometimes get them at good prices but I use my phone for email a lot these days and subscribe to Vodafone mobile broadband which is what my X1 uses and I wasn't sure if the 2G would do for that.

What are the major differences between the 2G and the 3G series?

Sell the X1 on here or Ebay 1st then do your deal with the Iphone.... Best way to go....

maxmix

Original Poster

maxmix;5351595

Sell the X1 on here or Ebay 1st then do your deal with the Iphone.... … Sell the X1 on here or Ebay 1st then do your deal with the Iphone.... Best way to go....maxmix

Yeah it does seem to be looking like that will be the best option.

So I will need the 3G to do email then really?

I upgraded and payed extra to get an unlimited web tarrif, then decided I wanted and iPhone but like you was put off the 2G but it's actually not too bad, email is definitely fine on it, and I can easily check my PM's on the few forums I go on when at school/round and about.
I could do some speed tests for you if you would like, although I think it may make it seem slow when in a real life situation it's really not too bad.

Original Poster

Would a 'mobile internet' tariff work on the 2G then?

Sorry, I am actually an IT engineer for a living but I'm completely dense when it comes to phones.

haha, yep that should work, what network are you on?
I've got the 'unlimited web' bolt on from O2 and that's working, but they're all similar.

Original Poster

Vodafone, I took their 'unlimited data' package as part of my contract in December, quite frankly it's a bit rubbish though, they've even blocked Youtube and iPlayer.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders68
    2. Ebid over Ebay22
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763999
    4. Better watch out for these...915

See more discussions