Traffic light symbols on cereals

Posted 22nd Oct
can someone explain why porridge is better than Weetabix minis?

porridge on the left

3312987.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
The cereal on the right doesn't even factor in 300ml of semi-skimmed milk?
19 Comments
Is this even a serious question
Is it because there chocolate coated.
jdiva22/10/2019 08:46

Is this even a serious question

Is it even a question?
Adventchild22/10/2019 08:48

Hmmm...... Could be right.

Checked the side of the Weetabix packet that has all the nutritional information and doesn't mention milk anywhere. Strange for a cereal :/
38724714-eNiQg.jpg
Weetabix Crispy Minis - Chocolate Chip
:

Wholegrain Wheat (89%), Plain Chocolate (12%) (Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin, Flavouring), Sugar, Salt, Flavouring, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin D

38724714-HkaMK.jpg
Quaker Rolled Oats:

100% Quaker Rolled Oats.
trick question: they are all the same colour

(<- Colourblind)
fanpages22/10/2019 08:57

[Image] Weetabix Crispy Minis - Chocolate Chip:Wholegrain Wheat (89%), …[Image] Weetabix Crispy Minis - Chocolate Chip:Wholegrain Wheat (89%), Plain Chocolate (12%) (Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin, Flavouring), Sugar, Salt, Flavouring, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid, Vitamin D[Image] Quaker Rolled Oats:100% Quaker Rolled Oats.

Yep I get all that, just why the green lights on the porridge but the % and grams of whatever are higher than the Weetabix which are amber.

Probably just the milk has been omitted as alluded to by another hukd'er.
u66454122/10/2019 09:00

Yep I get all that, just why the green lights on the porridge but the % …Yep I get all that, just why the green lights on the porridge but the % and grams of whatever are higher than the Weetabix which are amber.Probably just the milk has been omitted as alluded to by another hukd'er.

I was answering your question "can someone explain why porridge is better than Weetabix minis?".
fanpages22/10/2019 09:08

I was answering your question "can someone explain why porridge is better …I was answering your question "can someone explain why porridge is better than Weetabix minis?".

You don't half cheer me up
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 22nd Oct
People feed Oats to farm animals, but they don't usually feed them Chocolate Chip Weetabix

Yep I get all that, just why the green lights on the porridge but the % …Yep I get all that, just why the green lights on the porridge but the % and grams of whatever are higher than the Weetabix which are amber.Probably just the milk has been omitted as alluded to by another hukd'er.

Yup. One is for 350g of milk and cereal, the other is for 40g of cereal.
The GCSE English (comprehension) and GCSE Maths question : "can someone explain why porridge is better than Weetabix minis?" Assumption: use the labels as shown on the two packets, as well as a typical milk label found in everyday life.

Don't let sales and marketing PERSON expose that one were a failure in GCSE or that they want anyone to fail in English and Maths, the fact that one had C grade or A grade in the past was luck or by swatting for exams, stuff you since forgot and now one got bamboozled by a salesman's exam-style question with in-built problem solving? Here is a GCSE revision to un-bamboozle oneself, and restore one's dignity in C to A grades,

Use facts and GCSE maths: add 300ml of skimmed milk (GCSE English comprehension ) , which on the label, add "PER 100ml" + "PER 200ml" = 300ml (GCSE maths)

Energy of milk added to choc chip version : 206kJ + 413kJ + 652 kJ = 1271 kJ
Sugars of milk + choc chip version : 6.8+4.8+9.7g = 21.39 grams ....and so on.
An expensive way to eat a few grams of choc chips. Better value, pay 99p for the Terry's choc orange, and add to cereal bowl. (72g of cheap choc in that 600g packet versus Terrys at 157g).

However, you do save on CO2 emission on the eat cold version, if you want to go more GCSE into ecology. But, one does feel warmer eating warm food in the chill winds.

38725368-F1RtM.jpg
Edited by: "splender" 22nd Oct
u66454122/10/2019 08:56

Hmmm...... Could be right.Checked the side of the Weetabix packet that has …Hmmm...... Could be right.Checked the side of the Weetabix packet that has all the nutritional information and doesn't mention milk anywhere. Strange for a cereal :/

A GCSE problem solving test question. A change of roles, the business maker aka exam question setter, wants the customer to fail rather than getting C grade or better in daily life by using GCSE-like lifeskills.

You can eat cereal choc chip without milk.

Likewise, for a fair comparison, use water instead of milk for the porridge oats. Then clearly the porridge oats is superior, which was what I used to do, use water instead of milk unless I needed the calcium.
When eating oats cooked with water instead of milk.

38725630-CVMwJ.jpg

38725630-zuMdq.jpg
EndlessWaves22/10/2019 10:32

Yup. One is for 350g of milk and cereal, the other is for 40g of cereal.

This is an excellent thread topic, time for me to do some revision on how to use these labels to stay alive.

Traffic lights (coloured boxes on label) are based on 100g of food (as is or however it is suggested to be eaten with).
The numbers in the boxes are per serving. That's why a sentence is there to say: "Each serving of xxxx with yyyy....... contains:"

Another words: the nutritional label enumerates quantities using two mathematical methods, one is per serving and one is per 100g as unit quantity metric. (Disclaimer: I may be wrong here. I did not look up the food labelling regulations nor a guide to read such label as yet, fair to say the consumer does not read regulations when they visit a food shop, like me, therefore, this is how I understood the text means on the label and then look at a few other food labels side by side and to see a pattern from the numbers and the wordings.)

Therefore, some work is need to do some maths (using the nutritional label of whatever food a food is eaten with), that's why I used a semi-skimmed label above and added 300ml (~309g), making a total of 349g porridge portion versus dry choc chip wheat of only 40g in a bowl + 300ml of milk as a fairer like-for-like comparison (or use water to cook the oats).

Then per 100g, that's how the choc chip one is more amber with a lower weight of 40g as it is adjusted up to 100ml. And the porridge is adjusted down from 349g to 100g.

NHS (source):-

Total fat

(Red)High: more than 17.5g of fat per 100g
(Green)Low: 3g of fat or less per 100g

Saturated fat

High: more than 5g of saturated fat per 100g
Low: 1.5g of saturated fat or less per 100g
Sugars

High: more than 22.5g of total sugars per 100g
Low: 5g of total sugars or less per 100g
Salt

High: more than 1.5g of salt per 100g (or 0.6g sodium)
Low: 0.3g of salt or less per 100g (or 0.1g sodium)

NHS guidelines on traffice lights (means you don't have to have GCSE and do the calculations), do this :

If you're having foods and drinks that are high (red) in fat, salt and sugar, have these less often and in small amounts.But be aware that the manufacturer's idea of a portion may be different from yours (hence for the quaker oats, you may eat 200g as opposed to 349g (their suggested portion on the packet).

(Edit: I read my plain wheat Bixies packet (Lidl), traffic lights all green except salt which is amber. 2 wheat bixies (=two large Wheatabix = 40g) Here is the equivalent label for Weetabix. Phew, I revised something here doing the maths on this thread as I like to continue to keep sugars (starch as it turns to sugars , absorbed then turn into fat in body), salt down but not fat (making me look at these labels again for salt in breakfast cereals and bread)

38726930-pvY6B.jpg

Edited by: "splender" 22nd Oct
fanpages22/10/2019 13:05

Wait for it, @splender may comment soo... oh, too late.

I missed that.
Iirc the traffic light system isnt standardise so it varies between manufacturers and products.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants