Traffic Wardens enforce parking restrictions

Found 21st Jul 2015
For 4 of the last 5 weeks I've had to attend a location at a specific time every Tuesday and on every visit I kept seeing parking tickets issued on what you would call illegally parked cars.

Now I'm all for proper use of our roads and the use being enforced under normal circumstances. I'd love for the authorities to come and remove or ticket those that park on pavements (obstruction of path) in our estate. I'd love for the speed cameras nearest to my home being actually operational rather than just another street decoration that most who know the road realise the speed camera is "fake" but get this!

This particular stretch of road is near Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham's biggest hospital and teaching/university hospital (or whatever you want to call it). (See images and link to show location).

The parking restriction is for 1 hr from 1pm to 2pm only... why? I've no idea

According to a source and whether this is fiction I cannot confirm but apparently a Nottingham (or Nottinghamshire) councillor lives on the same stretch of road and I was told by my source that if the traffic wardens or community police officers are not there @ 1pm this councillor calls for action (nothing better to do?).

This councillors actions would tie in with the fact that I turn up there approx 1.15pm every time to find parking tickets already issued except today whereby I had the use of a car and got there early (just before 1pm). I even began recording their actions when I realised what was going on.

Yes I know TLDR but you needed detail so I gave it...enjoy

Pics/link in first post
Community Updates
Misc
32 Comments
I would suggest that it's to stop people from parking there all day.
People visiting the hospital have plenty of time but your 9-5 workers can't leave their cars there all day.
Edited by: "SJHan" 21st Jul 2015
stuarthanley

exactly what i thought
stuarthanley

I would suggest that it's to stop people from parking there all day. … I would suggest that it's to stop people from parking there all day. People visiting the hospital have plenty of time but your 9-5 workers can't leave their cars there all day.

It's only a small stretch of the road.

Yes I understand your 9-5 comment but most "employees" of any hospital are 9-5. There is already parking within the hospital grounds and free bus from off site parking to both city hospitals and it's only £3 to park all day (link here)

So yes there is no need to park there but my issue is
There's not a congestion issue. There is no obstruction when people park (it's a fairly wide road). There's only 2 or 3 that ever get caught and it's promptly at 1pm when they turn up.

As I said in my thread description - I have no issues in general with traffic wardens/parking enforcement so long as it's through normal process (equal for everyone). You could possibly know of certain roads where there are parking restrictions but you hardly ever see a traffic warden but here on this small stretch it's every day, promptly without fail.

Edited by: "philphil61" 21st Jul 2015
philphil61

It's only a small stretch of the road.Yes I understand your 9-5 comment … It's only a small stretch of the road.Yes I understand your 9-5 comment but most "employees" of any hospital are 9-5. There is already parking within the hospital grounds and free bus from off site parking to both city hospitals and it's only £3 to park all day (link here)So yes there is no need to park there but my issue isThere's not a congestion issue. There is no obstruction when people park (it's a fairly wide road). There's only 2 or 3 that ever get caught and it's promptly at 1pm when they turn up.As I said in my thread description - I have no issues in general with traffic wardens/parking enforcement so long as it's through normal process (equal for everyone). You could possibly know of certain roads where there are parking restrictions but you hardly ever see a traffic warden but here on this small stretch it's every day, promptly without fail.

Only £3 all day is a lot of money if you're working 5-6 days a week. When i said 9-5 workers, i meant those working in the surrounding area, not hospital staff.
I've no other ideas why. The counsellor reason sound like a wind up to me but ya never know.
Edited by: "SJHan" 21st Jul 2015
stuarthanley

I'd agree, it is probably there to stop the people who work in the hospital from parking there, I have a similar problem where I live and the commuters fill the streets all day and are a complete nightmare for the residents, we have campaigned for years and are finally getting a residents parking zone introduced, I hope our council are as keen to police it as this one.
my road has resident parking 8am-8.30 pm mon-sat
had chancers ask me as i am parking for vistors permits lol
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 21st Jul 2015
mikey_d

I'd agree, it is probably there to stop the people who work in the … I'd agree, it is probably there to stop the people who work in the hospital from parking there, I have a similar problem where I live and the commuters fill the streets all day and are a complete nightmare for the residents, we have campaigned for years and are finally getting a residents parking zone introduced, I hope our council are as keen to police it as this one.

I hear you and I understand you and accept everything except what if you only see a traffic warden once a week or once a month? At this location it's daily! exactly or just after 1pm... why?
stuarthanley

Only £3 all day is a lot of money if you're working 5-6 days a week. When … Only £3 all day is a lot of money if you're working 5-6 days a week. When i said 9-5 workers, i meant those working in the surrounding area, not hospital staff. I've no other ideas why. The counsellor reason sound like a wind up to me but ya never know.

If you knew the area you'd know "i meant those working in the surrounding area, not hospital staff." is unlikely. Basically it's the hospital and next door (west and north) is the university - a few small shops (launderette/sandwich bar) then a few car showrooms and that's it.
philphil61

I hear you and I understand you and accept everything except what if you … I hear you and I understand you and accept everything except what if you only see a traffic warden once a week or once a month? At this location it's daily! exactly or just after 1pm... why?

could be as it only needs a single walk to do the days work for the street not repeated work
maybe they go there for lunch at the mentioned sandwich bar and get back to work at 1 (_;)
Edited by: "brilly" 21st Jul 2015
Parking is a nightmare at the hospital, i'v had to go over an hour before appointments to find a space and they have turned 2 main car parks into staff only car parks so visitors and outpatients have to go round in circles to find a space, i assumed the side roads were given restrictions because they were being misused by people and cars blocked residents access i can understand your frustration just dont think theres much that can be done about it, parking restrictions have gotten really crazy in nottingham in the past 5-10 years, probably why nottingham city council makes so much revenue from parking enforcement compared to surrounding cities
mizzy1985

Parking is a nightmare at the hospital, i'v had to go over an hour before … Parking is a nightmare at the hospital, i'v had to go over an hour before appointments to find a space and they have turned 2 main car parks into staff only car parks so visitors and outpatients have to go round in circles to find a space, i assumed the side roads were given restrictions because they were being misused by people and cars blocked residents access i can understand your frustration just dont think theres much that can be done about it, parking restrictions have gotten really crazy in nottingham in the past 5-10 years, probably why nottingham city council makes so much revenue from parking enforcement compared to surrounding cities

Agreed on all points. It wasn't me that got tickets and generally I'm not fussed about parking restrictions being enforced.. maybe people are misunderstanding me!!

According to sources (information gained) this road is hammered by traffic wardens daily and also according to "rumours" if the traffic wardens don't turn up at 1pm then some beefed up power hungry city official calls them in

Why can't this beefed up power hungry city official call traffic wardens to my estate daily? Or to the taxis that think it's OK to double park and the plebs that think it's OK to drive down streets where access is denied?

After note (correction) you stated " i assumed the side roads were given restrictions because they were being misused by people and cars blocked residents access" take a good look at the images - yes I know it's possible what you say but for 4 Tuesdays - 3 I've seen tickets on 1 or 2 cars and today I got there early to find 2 traffic enforcers turn up at 1pm and issue 3 tickets.. that means 3 cars were illegally parked yes but were they obstructing/nuisance? Yes they were illegally parked but what made these traffic enforcers turn up?.

And why was I then informed about this councillor and it's everyday?

Edited by: "philphil61" 21st Jul 2015
The reason they do not come to your road is because your not a beefed up power hungry city official.
Anyway, who cares?
philphil61

I hear you and I understand you and accept everything except what if you … I hear you and I understand you and accept everything except what if you only see a traffic warden once a week or once a month? At this location it's daily! exactly or just after 1pm... why?

Our council has told us that when our zone is introduced we will get a daily visit from the wardens, I hope they are right, there is no point having restrictions if they aren't policed.
parking attendants are the lowest of the low, parasites of those who go about their normal business.
looks like a nice road so it's to keep the riff raff away X)
Where I live all the psrking wardens have been got rid of with only the police giving tickets to the very occasional idiot parkinv on double yellows and blocking traffic.

The roads are still clear, there are parking spaces available, people havent been fighting in the streets and there have been no mass cases of pedestrians being mowed down.

This just shows if you leave people to get on with their lives there isnt chaos and big brother isnt really needed.
A councillor would hold very little (by this, read 'no') sway with parking enforcement, particularly if we are talking CPE.
When a councillor raises an issue be it parking, bins, fouling etc, that goes in exactly the same pile of work as if a member of the public raises it....tbh, it may go a little lower down the pile dependent on who they are. There's no golden ticket, no matter how much they may claim on their (frankly laughable) promotional leaflets around election time.
There's a very simple answer to your question, and it's one you've provided yourself.
Traffic enforcement, particularly CPE, is primarily targets/revenue driven. You have said that you see tickets issued every day at a certain time. This means that the officers know that there are muppets out there who are failing to observe the regs on a regular basis - easy pickings in other words. Why walk round for hours trying to find cars to ticket when you know there's going to be a steady supply in this one spot?
fivegoldstars

A councillor would hold very little (by this, read 'no') sway with … A councillor would hold very little (by this, read 'no') sway with parking enforcement, particularly if we are talking CPE.When a councillor raises an issue be it parking, bins, fouling etc, that goes in exactly the same pile of work as if a member of the public raises it....tbh, it may go a little lower down the pile dependent on who they are. There's no golden ticket, no matter how much they may claim on their (frankly laughable) promotional leaflets around election time.There's a very simple answer to your question, and it's one you've provided yourself.Traffic enforcement, particularly CPE, is primarily targets/revenue driven. You have said that you see tickets issued every day at a certain time. This means that the officers know that there are muppets out there who are failing to observe the regs on a regular basis - easy pickings in other words. Why walk round for hours trying to find cars to ticket when you know there's going to be a steady supply in this one spot?

You're either disturbingly naive or just being disingenuous.

A lot of councillors are freemasons as, unsurprisingly, are many senior council officials and senior policemen. A word down at the lodge will get parking restrictions (that don't affect you) put on the road you live in to discourage the great unwashed from parking outside your nice home. And, to further discourage them, a traffic warden will be sent down there regularly.
RonChew

You're either disturbingly naive or just being disingenuous.A lot of … You're either disturbingly naive or just being disingenuous.A lot of councillors are freemasons as, unsurprisingly, are many senior council officials and senior policemen. A word down at the lodge will get parking restrictions (that don't affect you) put on the road you live in to discourage the great unwashed from parking outside your nice home. And, to further discourage them, a traffic warden will be sent down there regularly.

The scary thing is, some people will believe you're being serious.
fivegoldstars

The scary thing is that this is exactly what happens in a lot of places. It would come as no surprise if Nottingham were one of those places.

Have you no experience of local politics?
fivegoldstars

I've LIVED on this planet over 50 years and I've experienced LIFE in ways some would find very challenging and unacceptable and with all this knowledge I have to 100% completely agree with Ron

You are entitled to you opinion and I'll leave it at that
RonChew

The scary thing is that this is exactly what happens in a lot of places. … The scary thing is that this is exactly what happens in a lot of places. It would come as no surprise if Nottingham were one of those places. Have you no experience of local politics?

Really? Really?
I'm honestly unsure if I'm being wound up here.
fivegoldstars

A councillor would hold very little (by this, read 'no') sway with … A councillor would hold very little (by this, read 'no') sway with parking enforcement, particularly if we are talking CPE.When a councillor raises an issue be it parking, bins, fouling etc, that goes in exactly the same pile of work as if a member of the public raises it....tbh, it may go a little lower down the pile dependent on who they are. There's no golden ticket, no matter how much they may claim on their (frankly laughable) promotional leaflets around election time.There's a very simple answer to your question, and it's one you've provided yourself.Traffic enforcement, particularly CPE, is primarily targets/revenue driven. You have said that you see tickets issued every day at a certain time. This means that the officers know that there are muppets out there who are failing to observe the regs on a regular basis - easy pickings in other words. Why walk round for hours trying to find cars to ticket when you know there's going to be a steady supply in this one spot?

The parking restriction is for 1 hr from 1pm to 2pm only... why? I've no … The parking restriction is for 1 hr from 1pm to 2pm only... why? I've no idea

According to a source and whether this is fiction I cannot confirm but … According to a source and whether this is fiction I cannot confirm but apparently a Nottingham (or Nottinghamshire) councillor lives on the same stretch of road and I was told by my source that if the traffic wardens or community police officers are not there @ 1pm this councillor calls for action (nothing better to do?).

Now I'm all for proper use of our roads and the use being enforced under … Now I'm all for proper use of our roads and the use being enforced under normal circumstances. I'd love for the authorities to come and remove or ticket those that park on pavements (obstruction of path) in our estate.

...anyhooo.

To answer/correct a few more points...

It's called a CPZ. Nothing scary, no conspiracy. It's a controlled parking zone, usually created after feedback from local residents. The idea is to deter people - commuters/hospital visitors - from leaving their car all day. Hopefully, if they have to shift it for an hour, they'll park elsewhere. It's a compromise somewhere between no restrictions, and residents only permits.

Police officers do not issue PCN's for these types of infractions. 'Traffic wardens' don't operate in the area. Nottingham is CPE - Civil Parking Enforcement. A private, for profit, company (NSL Services - I'm not sure if their CEO is a mason - you'll have to find out.), provides officers to patrol these zones and ticket where necessary. As I've said before, if there's money to be made on this stretch, they'll be there. CPE patrol my street at 3.20 everyday. Why? It's residents parking, and it's near a school. Ker-chingg!

This remains a Police issue, not CPE. Phone 101, just don't expect a priority response.

The 'councillor' element of this story needs adding to the masons/moon landings/JFK file.

Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 21st Jul 2015
fivegoldstars

...anyhooo.To answer/correct a few more points...It's called a CPZ. … ...anyhooo.To answer/correct a few more points...It's called a CPZ. Nothing scary, no conspiracy. It's a controlled parking zone, usually created after feedback from local residents. The idea is to deter people - commuters/hospital visitors - from leaving their car all day. Hopefully, if they have to shift it for an hour, they'll park elsewhere. It's a compromise somewhere between no restrictions, and residents only permits.Police officers do not issue PCN's for these types of infractions. 'Traffic wardens' don't operate in the area. Nottingham is CPE - Civil Parking Enforcement. A private, for profit, company (NSL Services - I'm not sure if their CEO is a mason - you'll have to find out.), provides officers to patrol these zones and ticket where necessary. As I've said before, if there's money to be made on this stretch, they'll be there. CPE patrol my street at 3.20 everyday. Why? It's residents parking, and it's near a school. Ker-chingg!This remains a Police issue, not CPE. Phone 101, just don't expect a priority response.The 'councillor' element of this story needs adding to the masons/moon landings/JFK file.

You are wrong on so many levels. I don't know, or care to know, where you gained this tripe but I'll just add that the police have been telephoned and have no jurisdiction on pavement parking (probably because it's not illegal (that is their comment) when according to the Disability Discrimination Act parking on pavements is illegal) and I need to call the council (pffft and I'm ne freemason)

As I said in my first reply - you are entitled to your "opinion" supposedly based on what you believe is right. Others, including me, know better.
philphil61

You are wrong on so many levels. I don't know, or care to know, where … You are wrong on so many levels. I don't know, or care to know, where you gained this tripe but I'll just add that the police have been telephoned and have no jurisdiction on pavement parking (probably because it's not illegal (that is their comment) when according to the Disability Discrimination Act parking on pavements is illegal) and I need to call the council (pffft and I'm ne freemason)As I said in my first reply - you are entitled to your "opinion" supposedly based on what you believe is right. Others, including me, know better.

Your local council doesn't seem to include the information on its page, but mine, and many others, do...
dudley.gov.uk/res…ys/
That 'tripe' as you call it, was something which, within one job with an LA, I had to inform customers on a regular basis when CPE was first introduced.
Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 22nd Jul 2015
fivegoldstars

Your local council doesn't seem to include the information on its page, … Your local council doesn't seem to include the information on its page, but mine, and many others, do...http://www.dudley.gov.uk/resident/parking-roads/parking/parking-on-footways/That 'tripe' as you call it, was something which, within one job with an LA, I had to inform customers on a regular basis when CPE was first introduced.

Lucky you for being employed by the LA but what you failed to understand is that not all LA's operate the same. (I could say "stop stereotyping" but I don't think you'd understand the humour).

I live in a semi private estate where every property has parking on the property or attached to others (garages. The title deeds state there should be no "on street" parking but it also states that if additional parking is required then lay-bys are placed around the estate. Cul-de-sacs are stated as "Turning areas". It took me 4 years with lots of images and letters and legal advice to get the council to put up "Turning Area" signage - did anyone take any notice? did the council enforce it? do people park on the streets? do they also park on pavements? yes they are obstructing and nobody gives a t*** except me and a few other kind neighbours and the disabled and the mothers with pushchairs.

The police aren't interested, the council aren't interested - maybe I should join The Grand Order of Water Rats or Freemasons and give that special handshake!
philphil61

Lucky you for being employed by the LA but what you failed to understand … Lucky you for being employed by the LA but what you failed to understand is that not all LA's operate the same. (I could say "stop stereotyping" but I don't think you'd understand the humour). I live in a semi private estate where every property has parking on the property or attached to others (garages. The title deeds state there should be no "on street" parking but it also states that if additional parking is required then lay-bys are placed around the estate. Cul-de-sacs are stated as "Turning areas". It took me 4 years with lots of images and letters and legal advice to get the council to put up "Turning Area" signage - did anyone take any notice? did the council enforce it? do people park on the streets? do they also park on pavements? yes they are obstructing and nobody gives a t*** except me and a few other kind neighbours and the disabled and the mothers with pushchairs.The police aren't interested, the council aren't interested - maybe I should join The Grand Order of Water Rats or Freemasons and give that special handshake!

Erm, no, wrong again.

"Operational Guidance to Local Authorities for Parking Policy and Enforcement (ref e) , where in chapter 12, entitled "The continuing role of the police" it states in paragraphs 19 & 20:

12.19 When an authority receives CPE (Civil Parking Enforcement) power the police service is specifically excluded from yellow line parking enforcement. But the police retain sole responsibility

for certain non-yellow line parking offences in a civil enforcement area:

enforcing certain non-yellow line parking offences, principally endorsable offences such as dangerous parking, obstruction, and failure to comply with police 'no parking' signs placed in emergencies;

• enforcing the full range of moving traffic offences and infringements;

• acting against any vehicle where security or other traffic policing issues are involved, including the need to close roads or set up diversions; and

• enforcing all parking restrictions on roads outside CEAs.

CPE is enshrined in legislation. Police roles are bound under road traffic law. All LA's using CPE work the same.
fivegoldstars

Erm, no, wrong again."Operational Guidance to Local Authorities for … Erm, no, wrong again."Operational Guidance to Local Authorities for Parking Policy and Enforcement (ref e) , where in chapter 12, entitled "The continuing role of the police" it states in paragraphs 19 & 20:12.19 When an authority receives CPE (Civil Parking Enforcement) power the police service is specifically excluded from yellow line parking enforcement. But the police retain sole responsibility for certain non-yellow line parking offences in a civil enforcement area:• enforcing certain non-yellow line parking offences, principally endorsable offences such as dangerous parking, obstruction, and failure to comply with police 'no parking' signs placed in emergencies;• enforcing the full range of moving traffic offences and infringements;• acting against any vehicle where security or other traffic policing issues are involved, including the need to close roads or set up diversions; and• enforcing all parking restrictions on roads outside CEAs.CPE is enshrined in legislation. Police roles are bound under road traffic law. All LA's using CPE work the same.

And you are missing the vital point. Only 2 (I believe) LA's have laws specifically against parking on the pavement (London and I think Exeter is the other). It is not illegal to park on the pavement although it "might" be illegal to drive on the pavement.

Are vehicles allowed to park on the pavement?

If you don't understand that then don't bother to reply to my comment please. That's a polite request I hope you accept.
philphil61

And you are missing the vital point. Only 2 (I believe) LA's have laws … And you are missing the vital point. Only 2 (I believe) LA's have laws specifically against parking on the pavement (London and I think Exeter is the other). It is not illegal to park on the pavement although it "might" be illegal to drive on the pavement.Are vehicles allowed to park on the pavement?If you don't understand that then don't bother to reply to my comment please. That's a polite request I hope you accept.

That link doesn't really inspire me with confidence. 'LA's' don't have 'laws' regarding pavement parking, because it is obstruction, which is a police matter, as previously referenced from an official source (page 104 to save you reading it all). Let's look at a police website to see what they have to say on the matter...
avonandsomerset.police.uk/adv…ng/

Parking obstructions
An offence may be committed if a person obstructs the road unnecessarily.

An obstruction on the road includes:

A vehicle parked in a dangerous position.
A skip causing an obstruction or in a dangerous position.
An obstruction of the pavement causing pedestrians to enter the highway in order to pass the obstruction.
Any other impediment to the free flow of traffic.
If the parking offence is not causing a significant obstruction or placing other road users in danger then these offences will usually be dealt with by PCSOs or police officers.

So whilst parking on the pavement in itself is not specifically prohibited by law:
Highways Act 1980, section 137 (wilfully obstructing the free passage of a highway);
Town Police Clauses Act 1847, section 28 (wilfully causing an obstruction in any
public footpath or public thoroughfare); and
Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078), regulation
103 (causing or permitting a motor vehicle or trailer to stand on a road so as to cause
any unnecessary obstruction of the road).
...all allow for it to be dealt with as obstruction. Again, whether the police deal with it will be a resource issue, and it will factor low on their list of priorities. Still theirs to do though, so pester, pester, pester.

tryn2help

Forgive me if I've misunderstood you, FiveGS, but are you saying our … Forgive me if I've misunderstood you, FiveGS, but are you saying our councillors are squeaky clean?As someone previously involved in media I've covered many stories up and down the UK ie Islington, Monklands, Liverpool etc, and the masons/moon landings/JFK files are probably more believable than some of the things our councillors get up to.

No, not at all. I'm just saying that their involvement in day to day matters is as limited as that of the general public. Certainly in the two LA's I've worked for, if a councillor has an issue with parking, either his own or a resident who has approached him, his query follows exactly the same route as everyone else's. Personally, I would advise anybody with a parking/cleaning/fouling/bins issue just to contact their council directly, and cut out the middle man. You'll save time and get the same end result.
philphil61

because the traffic warden is on a bonus scheme and its an easy place to gain 'clients'

if you could get say 50% of your quota for the day in a 1 hour slot, in one place, you'd do the same.

Just like in every area of the country, you see traffic wardens etc, half a hour before parking restrictions are lifted in say hgh streets, where people hope to chance getting away with parking a little earlier.
Edited by: "eset12345" 22nd Jul 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants