Train delay compensation query

Found 20th Feb
Wondering whether anyone has any advice please - would I be eligible for compensation (train ticket refund)?

Trespassers on the track and a broken down train meant that I missed my connection home this evening, after 23 minutes delayed. It was the last train to my village. East Midlands trains booked us a taxi, fifty minutes later it arrived and a further 20 minute journey I arrive home. One and a half hours after I was suppose to!

I understand it’s not the train companies fault our taxi took so long, but had I of made my connection (trespassers, broken down train) I would have been home a long time ago!

What do you think?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Original Poster
Apologies if this posts multiple times, my internet is playing up too Not having a fab day
Original Poster
AndyRoyd2 h, 57 m ago

https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/information/Delay-Repay/

Thanks I already knew that Just wanted someone’s opinion on the situation since a taxi is out of the control of the train company
I would say no your not entitled to compensation.

Just like a plane grounded due to the weather. Its out of the train companies control with the trespassers.
I would say that you are entitled to compensation, there is no mention of not being able to claim for things, like trespassers, that could be deemed to be outside their control. I would put the claim and see what happens.
Andy's link above is for the Delay Repay scheme. The Delay Repay scheme means train companies pay out regardless of whether the delay was their fault.

Read from where it says in the following article: Most can claim for a delay of 30+ minutes regardless of cause (and some even for 2+ mins). It may also be an idea to read the whole article if you can in case you have similar experiences in the future.

Hope this helps.

moneysavingexpert.com/tra…ays
Original Poster
Thank you everyone I will give it a whirl
You can but try but you were only delayed by 23 minutes. The train firm didn't cause the taxi delay.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 25 m ago

You can but try but you were only delayed by 23 minutes. The train firm …You can but try but you were only delayed by 23 minutes. The train firm didn't cause the taxi delay.

Though many have reported successfully claiming even when they're not strictly entitled to a refund – the Rail Delivery Group, which represents train companies, says firms often pay out even when they don't have to. So no harm trying.

You can also get up to 25% of a single fare back if you were delayed between 15-29 minutes.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 20th Feb
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 44 m ago

You can but try but you were only delayed by 23 minutes. The train firm …You can but try but you were only delayed by 23 minutes. The train firm didn't cause the taxi delay.

They have to get me to my end destination regardless, and it was 1 and 1/2 hours later than the time I should have gotten home - so that’s my delay. I know with my Advanced Single ticket type they’ll turn around and say I’m not eligible for anything, the Ombudmans can decide
geojo23 m ago

They have to get me to my end destination regardless, and it was 1 and 1/2 …They have to get me to my end destination regardless, and it was 1 and 1/2 hours later than the time I should have gotten home - so that’s my delay. I know with my Advanced Single ticket type they’ll turn around and say I’m not eligible for anything, the Ombudmans can decide

Follow the steps in the article I posted above.

Unfortunately there's no ombudsman for the train network. Unlike financial services or telecoms companies, no official body is in place to deal with complaints or force a train company into action.

If you've sent your letter of complaint and the reply isn't up to scratch, you can however try Transport Focus. It's an independent passenger watchdog which can take up your complaint and demand a proper response on your behalf.

Hopefully it shouldn't go that far though. Read the article I've posted. It also mentions this as well.
geojo23 m ago

They have to get me to my end destination regardless, and it was 1 and 1/2 …They have to get me to my end destination regardless, and it was 1 and 1/2 hours later than the time I should have gotten home - so that’s my delay. I know with my Advanced Single ticket type they’ll turn around and say I’m not eligible for anything, the Ombudmans can decide

I agree they have to get you to your end destination but they will probably claim the taxi delays out with their control. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a public transport ombudsman
psychobitchfromhell1 m ago

I agree they have to get you to your end destination but they will …I agree they have to get you to your end destination but they will probably claim the taxi delays out with their control. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a public transport ombudsman

Though many have reported successfully claiming even when they're not strictly entitled to a refund.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell40 m ago

I agree they have to get you to your end destination but they will …I agree they have to get you to your end destination but they will probably claim the taxi delays out with their control. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a public transport ombudsman

There is a rail ombudsman scheme - Transport Focus is an independent watchdog
Original Poster
LemonHead43 m ago

Follow the steps in the article I posted above.Unfortunately there's no …Follow the steps in the article I posted above.Unfortunately there's no ombudsman for the train network. Unlike financial services or telecoms companies, no official body is in place to deal with complaints or force a train company into action.If you've sent your letter of complaint and the reply isn't up to scratch, you can however try Transport Focus. It's an independent passenger watchdog which can take up your complaint and demand a proper response on your behalf.Hopefully it shouldn't go that far though. Read the article I've posted. It also mentions this as well.

Hi LemonHead, thanks for the info! I chatted with Transport Focus who introduced a Rail Ombudsman scheme earlier this month. They are the independent regulator for UK trains
geojo7 m ago

Hi LemonHead, thanks for the info! I chatted with Transport Focus who …Hi LemonHead, thanks for the info! I chatted with Transport Focus who introduced a Rail Ombudsman scheme earlier this month. They are the independent regulator for UK trains

Well done you. I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for informing us of this.
geojo14 m ago

There is a rail ombudsman scheme - Transport Focus is an independent …There is a rail ombudsman scheme - Transport Focus is an independent watchdog

Hope they can help you then.
Original Poster
LemonHead1 h, 6 m ago

Well done you. I wasn't aware of that.Thanks for informing us of this.

Thank you for steering me in their direction!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants