Expired

Train fares!! Help!!

13 replies
Found 10th Mar 2009
Hi guys,
Can anybody help me?
I want to go from Crewe to Cardiff on Frday 20th March to return on Sunday 22nd March.
I have looked online and it comes to £52.40!! I think thats so expensive. Has anybody got any idea where I can find cheaper rail travel?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Karen x

1. Ask
  2. Train
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Train
13 Comments

Cheap rail travel at weekends is fairly limited. The really cheap fares tend to go as soon as they're released - about 12 weeks in advance. If you want to save money, you could check coach travel prices.

Sit on the roof...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j229/munchkinmum2/610x.jpg

Try 2 singles...surprisingly, they generally workout a lot cheaper.

My tickets would of cost £88 return for my bday, whereas I bought 2 singles, which worked out to £48 instead.

I hope that helps.

checkout [url]www.thetrainline.co.uk[/url] and [url]www.virgintrains.co.uk[/url]

try national express bus, should work out cheaper if u prepared for a few extra hours on coach

try raileasy

n1ttygr1tty;4606275

try national express bus, should work out cheaper if u prepared for a few … try national express bus, should work out cheaper if u prepared for a few extra hours on coach

Coach would be a much cheaper alternative but like N1ttygr1tty mentioned, it's a longer route and not as comfortable at all.

Try the single train routes that I mentioned earlier and checkout the coach prices and there's a big difference, then make your own mind up. :thumbsup:

just had a quick look on national express trains cheapest is £22 for a return, you need 2 singles first leaves crewe at on the 20th of march at 5.55 am gets in cardiff at 8.55am, the other single for the return leg is cardiff on 22nd of march leaves 8.30am gets in crewe 11.25am you need to book these soon tho if u want them at this price, total cost is £22 its £11 each way single tickets,

Def try the single routes. I am travelling from London to Chester at the end of the month. A return was priced at £68, whereas a single ticket was £6 each way - making the complete trip £12. I could not believe the difference.
As your travel dates are fast approaching, it is unlikely that you will find much cheaper than you have searched. Whatever you do, do NOT leave it to buy at the station on date of travel.

Shelby25;4606397

Def try the single routes. I am travelling from London to Chester at the … Def try the single routes. I am travelling from London to Chester at the end of the month. A return was priced at £68, whereas a single ticket was £6 each way - making the complete trip £12. I could not believe the difference.As your travel dates are fast approaching, it is unlikely that you will find much cheaper than you have searched. Whatever you do, do NOT leave it to buy at the station on date of travel.

I did say that was the case...apparantly, they're going to clamp down on train companies trying to con people because everyone assumes a return ticket is always going to be cheaper than 2 singles, when in reality, it's a lot more expensive and train companies do this on purpose.

I'm somewhat ambivalent here but feel that someone ought to leap to train companies' defence in that they're not out to con people at all and I have no idea who is going to clamp down on them or what for.

I am not sure what is meant by 'train companies do this on purpose' as, taking this specific request, Crewe to Cardiff return (on the Trainline) brings up the offpeak return at £52.40 and in bold print immediately underneath 'Singles from £11' and '2 singles may be cheaper' (twice). That's hardly hiding it away.

Displaying all possible combinations of return fares using advance single rates would result in an extremely unwieldy fare selection page that would most likely confuse us all. Funnily enough, this route is not too bad as there would only need to be fares set at £22, £28, £34, £36, £42, £43, £47, £48, £50 and £52.40!

Directly comparable return tickets are cheaper than 2 of the equivalent single tickets.

Crewe to Cardiff anytime single is £43.30 and offpeak return (valid on any train) is £52.40.

Advance purchase single tickets are not comparable with the offpeak return as the passenger is required to travel on the specific train(s) booked.

Oh, and back to the original request you may like to know that the £11 fare is also available for the return journey leaving Cardiff at 1945 arriving in Crewe at 2302 with a change at Shrewsbury or leaving Cardiff at 2110 arriving in Crewe at 0013 direct.

There is also a (very) late journey at £11 on the Friday from Crewe leaving at 2212 arriving Cardiff 0109 - this may be useful if work on Friday is involved.

Original Poster

Thanks for everybody's help x x x x

andythebrave;4607022

I'm somewhat ambivalent here but feel that someone ought to leap to train … I'm somewhat ambivalent here but feel that someone ought to leap to train companies' defence in that they're not out to con people at all and I have no idea who is going to clamp down on them or what for.I am not sure what is meant by 'train companies do this on purpose' as, taking this specific request, Crewe to Cardiff return (on the Trainline) brings up the offpeak return at £52.40 and in bold print immediately underneath 'Singles from £11' and '2 singles may be cheaper' (twice). That's hardly hiding it away.Displaying all possible combinations of return fares using advance single rates would result in an extremely unwieldy fare selection page that would most likely confuse us all. Funnily enough, this route is not too bad as there would only need to be fares set at £22, £28, £34, £36, £42, £43, £47, £48, £50 and £52.40!Directly comparable return tickets are cheaper than 2 of the equivalent single tickets.Crewe to Cardiff anytime single is £43.30 and offpeak return (valid on any train) is £52.40.Advance purchase single tickets are not comparable with the offpeak return as the passenger is required to travel on the specific train(s) booked.Oh, and back to the original request you may like to know that the £11 fare is also available for the return journey leaving Cardiff at 1945 arriving in Crewe at 2302 with a change at Shrewsbury or leaving Cardiff at 2110 arriving in Crewe at 0013 direct.There is also a (very) late journey at £11 on the Friday from Crewe leaving at 2212 arriving Cardiff 0109 - this may be useful if work on Friday is involved.

All that it would need to say is "return tickets from £22"... it's not that hard, is it?

The fact that you have to enter your journey times incoming and outgoing first and that it takes you to the returns page (which in my experience has always been more expensive) and train companies know that customers automatically expect return tickets to be cheaper and the OP to this thread proves my point.
Another arguement is that people can sometimes be in a rush to book the tickets, so they book whatever they see and don't expect prices to be different for identical times on 2 singles.

Even if you select the cheapest offpeak times on a return, it still works out anything from double to quadruple the price of 2 singles and they're for the same tickets, at the same time and on the same train...so why is there a difference in price?

In regard to the OP, I'm glad we all managed to help and you saved a good £30 from what you originally expected to spend. :thumbsup:

Yes, pleased we could help.

The difference in price is because the returns quoted allow you to be flexible about your journey time even after ticket purchase, this is not possible with the cheaper singles.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition69751
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…55
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54
    4. Win 1 of 30 Gin Festival, Eastbourne Pairs of Tickets (Value £30 per pair)11

See more discussions