Train or car/tube/train to London?

Found 5th Apr
Hi off to London in a few weeks. train tickets seem expensive wondering about driving to outskirts of London then getting tube or train for last part of the journey to reduce cost, any advice on where to drive to / park etc?

travelling from Birmingham and want to be in central London

thanks

Pete
Community Updates
14 Comments
where about in central london (nearest station)? Will you be traveling down daily?
What date are you going?
If you decide on the train use a ticket splitter such as ticketclever to see if you can reduce the fare right down. As an aside my son is at Birmingham Uni and he regularly takes the trains, the fare can be less than a tenner (in First class in their sale) to over £35 with his 16-25 railcard. He can usually save on a split site.
What I do: Park on someones drive at Epping (approx £6 per day).... 3 mins walk to Epping tube station, approx 40 mins ride to central London.
Havent don't it for a While, but always used to park up on a side street in Kilburn for free and catch the tube in.
I live on the Outskirts of London and regularly drive or Tube / Train it into London, personally I wouldn't mess about Traveling down by Car, finding somewhere to Park, paying for Parking, paying extra for Tubes in, just bite the Bullet and Train it from Brum to Central London, its an easy Journey by Train, quick and will save you a load of hag,

Just pay the Train Fare, Treat yourself to a Day out, relax and enjoy, your get Stressed out doing it the other way.
Edited by: "zirk" 5th Apr
They do 'valet' parking outside 10 Downing st, quite costly though...
I park at the end of the tube line quite regularly to go into London , but it can backfire. I use Newbury Park tube carpark most often , but if there are replacement bus services along the line for engineering works etc then the car park gets closed down to enable the buses to use it instead. Not so bad for me as I am happy to drive to Stratford instead but could be a problem if you don't have a back up plan .
m1 straight into Brent cross shopping centre then tube it into central London
There's usually free parking around Park Royal, near North Acton station if u get there early enough. Only around a 10 minute walk to the station as well. Just park on one of the side roads like Minerva Road opposite the Asda.
Original Poster
Need to get to Kensington, for a few days. Thanks for all the suggestions.
£16 return with Virgin from Birmingham New St, at that price its not worth taking the car.
What about going by coach
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions