Train tickets

Found 16th Mar
Hi all, i do not regularly use trains so am a bit of a novice when it comes to buying tickets. I was pretty shocked when i just looked up the prices of a train fare.
Is there a site that does better priced tickets over others or anyways of getting cheaper fares?
Any help would be lovely.Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Where are you going from and to? What time? And what dates?
I found if you have to change it is sometimes cheaper buy tickets separately. E.g. i was looking to go somewhere a few weeks ago . I had to change at Edinburgh the price full was £84 but if i bought day ticket to Edinburgh which is approx £10 then other one on day of return then paid for a return ticket from Edinburgh which cost £42 it would have saved me £22. Another way to do it depending on cost of journey is to buy a railcard. I saved quite a bit on my first journey by buying a railcard
Edited by: "scaryvonne" 16th Mar
Use a splitter, try this one ticketclever.com
Cheaper fares tend to be released twelve weeks. The closer to the time, the fewer cheap fares options
OK thanks, I need to go to Stratford on Avon from Marylebone on good Friday, late as possible, think last train is at 8.10pm. I'll try splitting fares then and see what comes up.
It doesn't look like there are any different options on ticket clever, thanks for that though, will try that in future.
To pick up a new car I had to travel 1 hour by car or 2.5 by train this week ( a lot of waiting at stations). I could have paid £36 per ticket or I split it. My trip was harrogate to york, then to darlington then to Thornaby. Harrogate to Thornaby was about £36 one way. Harrogate to darlington ticket, then darlington to Thornaby I was able to do for less than £15. There were more ticket options available. For example I could get a £10 train ticket to Darlington at 9am but if I inputed HGTE to Thornaby, despite using that £10 9am train the price stayed at £36. Split it, HGTE to DAR cost £10 and then DAR to Thornaby was £4.40. Same trains. You don't even have to get of a train to do this, so it's not just where you change trains.

So split your tickets. There was two of us and that saved me over £40 using the exact same trains.
I've just tried splitting your journey using a few other sites and also manually but it still comes to over £30, whichever way you do it.
Any possibility you could wait until early the next morning? You could do it for only £5.50 then... just a suggestion.
Delbert.Grady1 h, 31 m ago

I've just tried splitting your journey using a few other sites and also …I've just tried splitting your journey using a few other sites and also manually but it still comes to over £30, whichever way you do it.Any possibility you could wait until early the next morning? You could do it for only £5.50 then... just a suggestion.

I saw that, can't believe same journey can be so much cheaper, doesn't make sense. Thank you for your effort but I don't think Saturday will be viable. Thanks again.
Try to book as early as possible up to 3 months before and try Ticketysplit recommended by Martin Lewis's mse
Splitting works when there are competing options on that route or you are crossing the peak / off peak bounday.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions