Transfer apps and data to new ipad - Help!

Posted 12th Nov
Ok, so i don't own an apple product and never have done, all i have is an android phone and a chromebook.

However tomorrow i need to help my elderly parents by transferring their apps and data from their ipad 1 to their newly purchased ipad (2018).
The ipad is the only device they own, we have no access to a pc or mac.

Can anyone give me, or direct me to simple instructions on how to get the new ipad setup please?

Thanks
And yes, i said elderly parents, even though i'm a dinasour myself. lol
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
As above, but research (first or afterwards) what wouldn't transfer based on actual personal usage, maybe plus some app specific data transfer methods as iTune/iCloud wouldn't transfer everything.
All the Apps that they have downloaded over the years will be linked to their account. When they get their new iPad they need to sign in to it using the same details they used for their old one. Then they just go to the App store on the new iPad, click on their account in the corner, select Purchased, and then they will see a list of all the apps they have downloaded. They can then just simply download them again at no cost on their new device by clicking on the little cloud symbol.

38965720-d2c4G.jpg

38965720-Ne6oq.jpg

38965720-ZFiaP.jpg
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 12th Nov
Got to settings>person name > icloud> backup and make sure a backup is done on the old iPad.

Open the new one and it will prompt you to set up from an existing device, this will restore everything from the old one.
jon81uk12/11/2019 12:42

Got to settings>person name > icloud> backup and make sure a backup is …Got to settings>person name > icloud> backup and make sure a backup is done on the old iPad.Open the new one and it will prompt you to set up from an existing device, this will restore everything from the old one.

I'm just wondering though that given it is an iPad 1st gen from 2010 I'm not too sure how well iCloud is actually supported on that device and version of iOS. The easiest thing for the OP to do would be to connect it to a PC or Mac running iTunes and then back it up with that to get any photos off it for example.

@saintscouple Do you not have any access to a PC or Mac at all, maybe even a friend with a laptop that could help you back up their iPad if the iCloud method doesn't work? Alternatively I wonder if you just went in to an Apple store with both devices if they could guide you through a process to transfer everything across quickly?
Just log into new device and it will ask if you want to restore from last back up... you will get an alert on old iPad as well. It should be straight forward you might need to re download some apps but. The pictures do through iCloud...

or they might not have a pc/laptop but someone you know must just hook them up to iTunes...
Haircut_10012/11/2019 12:59

I'm just wondering though that given it is an iPad 1st gen from 2010 I'm …I'm just wondering though that given it is an iPad 1st gen from 2010 I'm not too sure how well iCloud is actually supported on that device and version of iOS. The easiest thing for the OP to do would be to connect it to a PC or Mac running iTunes and then back it up with that to get any photos off it for example. @saintscouple Do you not have any access to a PC or Mac at all, maybe even a friend with a laptop that could help you back up their iPad if the iCloud method doesn't work? Alternatively I wonder if you just went in to an Apple store with both devices if they could guide you through a process to transfer everything across quickly?

I'm afraid we have no access at all to a pc/laptop/mac

They apparently pay for storage of their photos on the ipad - i guess that's the icloud?
They don't have any music, just use the ipad for email, surfing, and photo storage.

There is no Apple store local to either of us, they purchased the new ipad direct from Apple online.

Being an ipad 1 we need to transfer from, i fear we may have problems... but to what extent?

Thanks for all the replies thus far
saintscouple12/11/2019 13:52

I'm afraid we have no access at all to a pc/laptop/macThey apparently pay …I'm afraid we have no access at all to a pc/laptop/macThey apparently pay for storage of their photos on the ipad - i guess that's the icloud?They don't have any music, just use the ipad for email, surfing, and photo storage. There is no Apple store local to either of us, they purchased the new ipad direct from Apple online. Being an ipad 1 we need to transfer from, i fear we may have problems... but to what extent?Thanks for all the replies thus far

Feel free to persuede your elderly parents to contact these people.
abilitynet.org.uk/at-…ome
saintscouple12/11/2019 13:52

I'm afraid we have no access at all to a pc/laptop/macThey apparently pay …I'm afraid we have no access at all to a pc/laptop/macThey apparently pay for storage of their photos on the ipad - i guess that's the icloud?They don't have any music, just use the ipad for email, surfing, and photo storage. There is no Apple store local to either of us, they purchased the new ipad direct from Apple online. Being an ipad 1 we need to transfer from, i fear we may have problems... but to what extent?Thanks for all the replies thus far

support.apple.com/en-…269

Explains what to do simply (Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch , by Apple)

And for completeness, not mentioned above, what happens when there are things missing after a restore from backup.

About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup , by Apple

which explains what happens to your mail and photos.

Internet browser data like bookmarks, browse history, cookies etc.., is just a little bit more work by checking a setting. However, if your parents do not need these personal data in Safari (browser) then you don't have to worry about the following.

Here’s what iCloud Backup (Oct 2019 info) includes
  • App data (but only if enabled to do so such as in Safari, you have to select Safari in the ICloud settings,described here ), but if you cannot find such settings in your version of IOS, then you can only backup Safari (internet browser) bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages using iTunes using a Windows PC or a Mac PC).
  • Apple Watch backups
  • Device settings
  • HomeKit configuration
  • Home screen and app organization
  • iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages1
  • Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch1
  • Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books2
  • Ringtones
  • Visual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)
Edited by: "splender" 12th Nov
splender12/11/2019 14:34

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269Explains what to do simply …https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269Explains what to do simply (Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch , by Apple)And for completeness, not mentioned above, what happens when there are things missing after a restore from backup.About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup , by Applewhich explains what happens to your mail and photos. Internet browser data like bookmarks, browse history, cookies etc.., is just a little bit more work by checking a setting. However, if your parents do not need these personal data in Safari (browser) then you don't have to worry about the following. Here’s what iCloud Backup (Oct 2019 info) includes App data (but only if enabled to do so such as in Safari, you have to select Safari in the ICloud settings, described here ), but if you cannot find such settings in your version of IOS, then you can only backup Safari (internet browser) bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages using iTunes using a Windows PC or a Mac PC). Apple Watch backupsDevice settingsHomeKit configurationHome screen and app organizationiMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages1Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch1Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books2RingtonesVisual Voicemail password (requires the SIM card that was in use during backup)

Thank you so much, think i'll take a photo of the bookmarks, etc so if they get lost i can easily replace them.
saintscouple12/11/2019 17:18

Thank you so much, think i'll take a photo of the bookmarks, etc so if …Thank you so much, think i'll take a photo of the bookmarks, etc so if they get lost i can easily replace them.

In a nutshell, a revision. if you resolve/agree the Safari bookmarks and browsing history with your parents, then you just need to take care of the mail and the photos. As indicated by the Apple help links, these two are likely to reside in the iCloud on an ongoing basis. So all have to do is confirm they are there, then the rest is a breeze in a restore to your new iPad.
The beauty is that you still have the old iPAD for "safety".
Cheers everyone,

Everything went well using the icloud backup - everything transferred through fine.
Only thing i had to setup was the printer again.

Thanks all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants