Transferring a number plate online

Found 23rd Dec 2017
Hi, I am looking for help from anyone that transfers their number plate please.
I am scrapping my car which has the plate, to a new car I have bought. I need to reclaim car tax from the car that is going to be scrapped.
I need to know in what order I need to do what, and how.
I think it is:
1. Reclaim the tax on the old car, and make it SORN.
2. Transfer the plate from old to new car.
3 Tax the new car
4 scrap the old car
5 Transfer the insurance from my new car to the new car with transferred plate.

thanks for any help
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Suggest you give the dvla a call, they will give better advice than a forum.
We scrapped our vehicle, earlier this year, that has our private plate, paid DVLA for the retention fee (think it lasts for 10 years) .... We purchased new vehicle (used), you cannot transfer tax from vehicle to vehicle these days, you have to SORN old vehicle which will result in a refund of Road Fund Licanse, swap insurance from old to new vehicle, tax new vehicle, transfer private plate at no cost ...
Original Poster
virgil471 h, 56 m ago

We scrapped our vehicle, earlier this year, that has our private plate, …We scrapped our vehicle, earlier this year, that has our private plate, paid DVLA for the retention fee (think it lasts for 10 years) .... We purchased new vehicle (used), you cannot transfer tax from vehicle to vehicle these days, you have to SORN old vehicle which will result in a refund of Road Fund Licanse, swap insurance from old to new vehicle, tax new vehicle, transfer private plate at no cost ...

Thanks
Start with this (Link). The car can be taxed or worn it doesn’t matter. This will retain the plate and give you the old plate back that was on the car.

Then on the new car use this (Link) to put it back on the new car.

Before selling my old car I had put the plate on retention,I didnt scrap mine but i bought a new car and swapped my insurance over before the plate or anything (direct line have no fee for changing a plate later).
Just remember removing the plate to put on retention will cost you £80. I just done mine the other day from dvla website (really easy just need the V5 Document number)
Start with the DLVA website...
Original Poster
virgil4719 h, 45 m ago

We scrapped our vehicle, earlier this year, that has our private plate, …We scrapped our vehicle, earlier this year, that has our private plate, paid DVLA for the retention fee (think it lasts for 10 years) .... We purchased new vehicle (used), you cannot transfer tax from vehicle to vehicle these days, you have to SORN old vehicle which will result in a refund of Road Fund Licanse, swap insurance from old to new vehicle, tax new vehicle, transfer private plate at no cost ...

Looks like I have to wait for the V5c document to come back for my new car as the reference numbers are incompatible with the DVLA site
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants