Groups
    EXPIRED

Transferring data from one pc to another and secure deletion

Awaiting delivery of a new PC and in advance would like to get hold of the following

1. Software to securely 'delete' whats on the old pc (I'm not too bothered about spending loads on this as the old pc is going to a friend).

2. An easy way to transfer data such as photos, word docs etc that are currently on old pc to the new one.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

6 Comments

Format and reinstal will do the first for a friend

2nd is covered in XP file and transfer wizard.

See here for lots of info:aumha.org/win…htm

Original Poster

MikeT

Format and reinstal will do the first for a friend2nd is covered in XP … Format and reinstal will do the first for a friend2nd is covered in XP file and transfer wizard.See here for lots of info:http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Thanks for the info MikeT

Looks like I have some bedtime reading to do. Didnt realise XP had transfer programs. Like the link says FAST is one of the least known functions in XP.

Would you advise home networking to transfer data or null modem serial cable (whatever one of these is)?

Home networking, serial will take weeks!

put your Xp disc in and it comes up automatic or you could use ghost by norton hook up both hard drives

Original Poster

Thanks MikeT

Just gotta figure out how to do that now!
    Managed to connect a pc wirelessly to my router and also xbox 360 but, always confuses me.
    I think I need to wireless network everything!

or...

take out your hard drive from the old machine and put it into your new on !!!

use it as a second drive
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What engine oil do i need for a 2007 Skoda Fabia (Mark 1) 1.9 turbo diesel …33
      2. buy to let mortgage22
      3. Virgin media sign up68
      4. Xiaomi phones46

See more discussions