Transferring iPhone picture to new phone

Posted 3rd Jan
Hi

I have a new iPhone arriving today and I am trying to find the best way to transfer my old iPhones pictures to my new one.

I did have I cloud set up but it reached its storage limit - don’t know much about iCloud and how it works.

Does any one know the best way to transfer pictures?

Thank you
Laura
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Pay for 1 month of extra iCloud storage, it’s about 79p.
Backup old phone to itunes, restore new phone from the same backup.
Alternatively can you not clear down some of your cloud content to enable a new phone backup to be taken for restoring ?
migavupe03/01/2020 09:54

Pay for 1 month of extra iCloud storage, it’s about 79p.

Thank you, I’ll look at doing that.
Is it easy to transfer all your pictures to your new phone from icloud?
Lauraaa03/01/2020 10:01

Thank you, I’ll look at doing that. Is it easy to transfer all your p …Thank you, I’ll look at doing that. Is it easy to transfer all your pictures to your new phone from icloud?

As part of the setup of your new phone it asks if you already have an iPhone and transfers everything across, apps, photos, music the lot
Lauraaa03/01/2020 10:01

Thank you, I’ll look at doing that. Is it easy to transfer all your p …Thank you, I’ll look at doing that. Is it easy to transfer all your pictures to your new phone from icloud?

Yes, very easy whether you backup via iCloud or by using iTunes to make a backup of your phone. Do you have a computer that you can use?
Bobster-cyw03/01/2020 10:08

As part of the setup of your new phone it asks if you already have an …As part of the setup of your new phone it asks if you already have an iPhone and transfers everything across, apps, photos, music the lot

Oh that’s good I was dreading setting it up!
Pay for a month of extra cloud storage, back it all up, log in and download on new phone and then cancel subscription. Failing that plug into pc and back up phone and then transfer to new phone
Haircut_10003/01/2020 10:08

Yes, very easy whether you backup via iCloud or by using iTunes to make a …Yes, very easy whether you backup via iCloud or by using iTunes to make a backup of your phone. Do you have a computer that you can use?

I’ll probably use iCloud to transfer them over and unfortunately I don’t have a computer I just do everything from my phone.
In my opinion Google Photos is far better. It's free, available cross-platform (i.e. if you switch to Android it'll be easily available), and the storage is unlimited at high quality, even videos.

I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro and an iPhone 11 Pro Max and love the fact that Google Photos works seamlessly between both phones.

iCloud is just cumbersome and annoying, so I switched off the Photo backup element of it and just kept it on for everything else like Keychain, app data backups and Wallet. This way I keep well within the free 5GB quota.

I love Android and like iOS which is why I prefer to use Google services rather than tie myself in to Apple services in case I did leave iOS for good.
Edited by: "preecey" 3rd Jan
Remember to turn on setting/photos/optimise iPhone storage. This save Gbs of storage.
Ditto - use Google photos
captainbeaky03/01/2020 12:44

Doesn’t that compress your photos?

Slightly. The images are still very detailed and I honestly can't notice a difference when printing a regular photo taken from the iPhone or one downloaded from Google Photos on A4 photo paper.

Even when the photos are uploaded they're still a couple of MBs each (2-3MB) on Google Drive.

I did worry about this initially, thinking that Google Photos may compress photos to a couple of hundred KB each (which will noticeably lessen the visual quality), but it doesn't.

4K video uploads are downscaled to 1080p. I must mention that. Which is why I also copy videos across to my laptop to maintain full resolution.
Edited by: "preecey" 3rd Jan
captainbeaky03/01/2020 12:44

Doesn’t that compress your photos?

Not that I've noticed, still look good no matter which device I use.
Bobster-cyw03/01/2020 10:08

As part of the setup of your new phone it asks if you already have an …As part of the setup of your new phone it asks if you already have an iPhone and transfers everything across, apps, photos, music the lot

This works great, I got an Ipad this week and it setup itself from my Iphone 7.

Make sure your iphone is running the latest version and that the new phone has at least the same amount of space.
markvirgo04/01/2020 19:58

This works great, I got an Ipad this week and it setup itself from my …This works great, I got an Ipad this week and it setup itself from my Iphone 7.Make sure your iphone is running the latest version and that the new phone has at least the same amount of space.

Mine went well set up really quickly and everything seems to have transferred
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions