Transferring photos from iPhone

Posted 9th May
Hello

Can anyone recommend the easiest or best way to transfer photos from an iPhone to external storage?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Are they on iCloud or the device
Dannyrobbo09/05/2020 10:43

Are they on iCloud or the device

They are on the device, iCloud storage is full to capacity. I want to be able to transfer them onto external storage that I can then keep. It’s photos from the past couple of years and don’t want to print etc
When you normally plug your iPhone into a laptop or computer you have a pop up box and you are able to import all photos to computer then to external storage
shef007209/05/2020 10:46

When you normally plug your iPhone into a laptop or computer you have a …When you normally plug your iPhone into a laptop or computer you have a pop up box and you are able to import all photos to computer then to external storage

Okay thanks, is that the best way to do it? Do I just buy a portable hard drive?
If they are on the phone, download Google Photos, sign in or create a google account and the app will then begin to back every photo up.

You have unlimited storage if you are not bothered about high quality. It will then even move the photos that you have backed up to the bin saving space, some other settings to play around with too.

You can then download photos directly from google photos via its website on a PC, far easier than faffing around with cables and 3rd party software.

iCloud could be used, but personally I stopped using ages ago due to its storage limits, and well it being pants overall.
Yeah if they’re on the device just plug it into a computer press trust and it’ll mount it as storage all your photos are in there
I would just plug into pc/laptop and transfer over after that you can store them wherever you want.
chefy9909/05/2020 10:47

Okay thanks, is that the best way to do it? Do I just buy a portable hard …Okay thanks, is that the best way to do it? Do I just buy a portable hard drive?

Yes a hard drive or a usb stick might be enough
Thanks everyone
I agree that google photos is a great way to backup and store photos on iphone and synchronises in the background and it’s free!!
lh10409/05/2020 10:49

If they are on the phone, download Google Photos, sign in or create a …If they are on the phone, download Google Photos, sign in or create a google account and the app will then begin to back every photo up. You have unlimited storage if you are not bothered about high quality. It will then even move the photos that you have backed up to the bin saving space, some other settings to play around with too.You can then download photos directly from google photos via its website on a PC, far easier than faffing around with cables and 3rd party software.iCloud could be used, but personally I stopped using ages ago due to its storage limits, and well it being pants overall.

According to
digital-photography-school.com/are…ud/
Google Photos:

...automatically analyzes your photos for people, objects, and locations that you can search for
and
You give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes

So before blindly syncing any photo you take on your phone to Google, you might want to look at what privacy settings you can adjust.
harrythefish09/05/2020 13:45

According …According tohttps://digital-photography-school.com/are-your-photos-safe-in-the-cloud/Google Photos:...automatically analyzes your photos for people, objects, and locations that you can search forandYou give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changesSo before blindly syncing any photo you take on your phone to Google, you might want to look at what privacy settings you can adjust.

That’s true, you change privacy setting within your google account that governs all google products, just a matter of reading and knowing what you are allowing - didn’t think I would need to really explain that part, but thanks for pointing it out.
lh10409/05/2020 10:49

If they are on the phone, download Google Photos, sign in or create a …If they are on the phone, download Google Photos, sign in or create a google account and the app will then begin to back every photo up. You have unlimited storage if you are not bothered about high quality. It will then even move the photos that you have backed up to the bin saving space, some other settings to play around with too.You can then download photos directly from google photos via its website on a PC, far easier than faffing around with cables and 3rd party software.iCloud could be used, but personally I stopped using ages ago due to its storage limits, and well it being pants overall.

I don’t think google offers free unlimited storage. Happy to be corrected.
MilitaryMedium09/05/2020 15:16

I don’t think google offers free unlimited storage. Happy to be corrected.

Straight from the site: “Back up unlimited photos and videos for free, up to 16MP and 1080p HD.” For high quality, it’s limited to 16gb.
lh10409/05/2020 15:44

Straight from the site: “Back up unlimited photos and videos for free, up t …Straight from the site: “Back up unlimited photos and videos for free, up to 16MP and 1080p HD.” For high quality, it’s limited to 16gb.

Theee was something about not using Google as your only backup if you have very high resolution pics or vids, they get automatically compressed if too big.
harrythefish09/05/2020 17:16

Theee was something about not using Google as your only backup if you have …Theee was something about not using Google as your only backup if you have very high resolution pics or vids, they get automatically compressed if too big.

Correct, anything above 16mp and 1080p video is compressed. Depends on what you want it for really. If it’s high resolution photography or video, probably not the best.

There is the option to store original format and you get 15gb storage, with an option to buy 100gb at a monthly rate.

But, going back to the original question, it’s an easy option if you have casual photos taken on a phone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions