Groups

Translating names into Chinese (for Tattoo)

Anyone know of a good RELIABLE website where I can get names translated. I'm after a Tattoo with my 3 childrens names, but want them translated so it's not too long if that makes sense. Thankyou.

40 Comments

Wimp!!! Get the full names done! Seriously though if your kids names are in English shouldn't the tattoos also be?

generic.

I used this website for my kids chineseculture.about.com/lib…htm

To test it, I copied the symbols down and showed them to the nice chinese lady in the chinese herbalist shop and asked her what they said, and she read back my kids names, so the ones I needed were right. Maybe you could try something similar to get the ones you need confirmed, just incase... :thumbsup:

black gerbil1;2636936

generic.

Yeah, have to agree - quite a naff idea. Just get the first letter of their names or something. As long as their names aren't Paul, Olly and Olivia.

Charlie&Lola;2636969

I used this website for my kids … I used this website for my kids http://chineseculture.about.com/library/name/blname.htmTo test it, I copied the symbols down and showed them to the nice chinese lady in the chinese herbalist shop and asked her what they said, and she read back my kids names, so the ones I needed were right. Maybe you could try something similar to get the ones you need confirmed, just incase... :thumbsup:

may I ask if your a male or female?

black gerbil1;2636980

may I ask if your a male or female?

I'm female. And no, I didn't get them done in 6ft letters across my arms :-D They are very discreet and I don't think I could have achieved the same effect if the names were spelt out in English rather than the Chinese symbols

Charlie&Lola;2636969

I used this website for my kids … I used this website for my kids http://chineseculture.about.com/library/name/blname.htmTo test it, I copied the symbols down and showed them to the nice chinese lady in the chinese herbalist shop and asked her what they said, and she read back my kids names, so the ones I needed were right. Maybe you could try something similar to get the ones you need confirmed, just incase... :thumbsup:

Loving my symbols:

http://z.about.com/d/chineseculture/1/0/j/H/3/yvonne.gif

Charlie&Lola;2637012

I'm female. And no, I didn't get them done in 6ft letters across my arms … I'm female. And no, I didn't get them done in 6ft letters across my arms :-D They are very discreet and I don't think I could have achieved the same effect if the names were spelt out in English rather than the Chinese symbols

That's because you can't read Chinese. You see it for it's aesthetics.

http://z.about.com/d/chineseculture/1/0/I/V/2/lesley.gif

Nice

freeDUMB;2637064

That's because you can't read Chinese. You see it for it's aesthetics.

No, I can't read Chinese, but that's why I got a Chinese person to verify what they meant for me. I wanted something that was personal but I don't like seeing names written in English tattoed on people (or maybe I've just not seen any good ones yet) which is why I opted for the symbols. Also, because of the positioning of them, I don't think anything else would have worked as these start at the bottom of my neck and go part way down my spine. Spelling out my kids names in that direction in English would have looked a bit odd I think :-D

I don't suggest anyone tatooing their English names into Chinese; especially not by using a website to translate. There is no accurate translation for names from English to Chinese unless it is very common. If you ask different Chinese people to translate a name, everyone might choose different Chinese words for that name.

Translating English names into Chinese, you know that isn't really that accurate what really happens is chinese words are only made up of one syllable per word so they use chinese words which sound similar to the syllables of the english name its like having a bunch of random foreign sounds join together to make up a name. So basically you get something that sounds like a name but in reverse you are getting a bunch of chinese characters that have no meaning together or worse still if you have a really unlucky combination of chinese character that might be bad

Banned

my martial arts instructor had jujitsu branded on his arm, i myself wouldnt get a tattoo in fear that when i got older i regretted it deeply.

繁體中文版 :thumbsup:

ttsese;2637228

Translating English names into Chinese, you know that isn't really that … Translating English names into Chinese, you know that isn't really that accurate what really happens is chinese words are only made up of one syllable per word so they use chinese words which sound similar to the syllables of the english name its like having a bunch of random foreign sounds join together to make up a name. So basically you get something that sounds like a name but in reverse you are getting a bunch of chinese characters that have no meaning together or worse still if you have a really unlucky combination of chinese character that might be bad

That is correct.
    And every syllable will have a few chinese words thats sound similar. So, you sort of pick your choice, or pick those thats commonly use.
    I know, as I am Chinese....
    :-D

I have a large databse of chinese tattoos if you tell me thier names i can have a look see if i have them

ck2;2637337

That is correct.And every syllable will have a few chinese words thats … That is correct.And every syllable will have a few chinese words thats sound similar. So, you sort of pick your choice, or pick those thats commonly use.I know, as I am Chinese.... :-D

That's what the little old Chinese herbalist lady told me when she checked over mine. In fairness, she was really lovely and explained basically what you did there, which is why there are 4 symbols representing my daughters name and 2 for my sons- because it's the sounds put together to make up the name, rather than the actual spelling as it were, like we would do in English.

mumbojumbo;2637483

Mel C (ex-Spices) has the chinese characters for 'Girl Power' tattooed on … Mel C (ex-Spices) has the chinese characters for 'Girl Power' tattooed on her arm...it would have looked rather dated by now had it been in English.

Technically it would still look dated if you were able to read Chinese...

Anyway congratulations on being unoriginal and having a tattoo that means absolutely nothing to you.

freeDUMB;2637532

Technically it would still look dated if you were able to read … Technically it would still look dated if you were able to read Chinese...Anyway congratulations on being unoriginal and having a tattoo that means absolutely nothing to you.

Erm, who were you referring to when you say the tattoo means absolutely nothing to you? Because if that was aimed at me, then as already explained, mine represent my childrens names and regardless of what language they are in, they mean an awful lot to me because of what they represent. Besides, as long as I'm happy with it, why should I bother what anyone else thinks - my kids, my tattoo !

The one for girl power is different.
    The translation is for the whole meaning of the phrase, rather than the sound of the syllabus.
    It is different when you translate a name.

lol I like how emmad started the thread and just let everyone talk without responding

twinks;2637051

Have to admit I pondered with this idea but soon went off it, I opted for … Have to admit I pondered with this idea but soon went off it, I opted for 3 stars, one for each of my children in size order and a colour that they all chose themselves. Its in the tattoo thread somewhere.

Like it, nice idea :thumbsup:

OP please dont get chinese symbols, its lamest of lame. :?

Don't tattoo your kids names in Chinese. It's a neat tribute, yeah, but it's chav, it's just a fashion phase, and when the West and China go to war in thirty years time over the last remaining stocks of oil reserves, you're going to really wish you hadn't.

dxx;2638358

Don't tattoo your kids names in Chinese. It's a neat tribute, yeah, but … Don't tattoo your kids names in Chinese. It's a neat tribute, yeah, but it's chav, it's just a fashion phase, and when the West and China go to war in thirty years time over the last remaining stocks of oil reserves, you're going to really wish you hadn't.

I agree.

dxx;2638358

Don't tattoo your kids names in Chinese. It's a neat tribute, yeah, but … Don't tattoo your kids names in Chinese. It's a neat tribute, yeah, but it's chav, it's just a fashion phase, and when the West and China go to war in thirty years time over the last remaining stocks of oil reserves, you're going to really wish you hadn't.

I certainly think at the age of 30 I'm more than old enough not to do something just because it's 'a fashion phase', and just because I like a certain style of writing, it doesn't make me a chav thanks very much. I don't particularly like seeing people that have names tattoed on them in big letters with hearts and flowers round them, but I don't think it makes them chavvy just because I don't like it.

Dont get why people get chinese tattoos with absolutely no relation to anything chinese, i mean you wouldnt get ya sprogs name done in iraqi down a spine would ya:?

Likewise with all the curvy celtic patterns all down both arms, i say if its something you wouldnt hang in your front room forever then dont stick it on ya back, got to be sentimental imo.

Charlie&Lola;2638409

I certainly think at the age of 30 I'm more than old enough not to do … I certainly think at the age of 30 I'm more than old enough not to do something just because it's 'a fashion phase', and just because I like a certain style of writing, it doesn't make me a chav thanks very much. I don't particularly like seeing people that have names tattoed on them in big letters with hearts and flowers round them, but I don't think it makes them chavvy just because I don't like it.

we all have our own tastes at the end of the day, I just find that style very generic myself.

kungfu;2638410

Dont get why people get chinese tattoos with absolutely no relation to … Dont get why people get chinese tattoos with absolutely no relation to anything chinese, i mean you wouldnt get ya sprogs name done in iraqi down a spine would ya:?Likewise with all the curvy celtic patterns all down both arms, i say if its something you wouldnt hang in your front room forever then dont stick it on ya back, got to be sentimental imo.

And to me, mine are. As I've said, I personally don't like seeing names tattoed on people and I wanted my two childrens names to go underneath the pair of angel wings I have that represent my little one that didn't make it here. How I chose to represent their names had nothing to do with any fashion phase. I wanted something that basically completed my representation of my 3 children, but wasn't obvious to anyone but me what it was. And I'm probably a very weird person because if there is a big fight over oil etc, I still wouldn't regret having them done, simply because of what they all represent as a whole and what they mean to me. But I am female, and we are complicated to understand, apparantly

Charlie&Lola;2638504

And to me, mine are. As I've said, I personally don't like seeing names … And to me, mine are. As I've said, I personally don't like seeing names tattoed on people and I wanted my two childrens names to go underneath the pair of angel wings I have that represent my little one that didn't make it here. How I chose to represent their names had nothing to do with any fashion phase. I wanted something that basically completed my representation of my 3 children, but wasn't obvious to anyone but me what it was. And I'm probably a very weird person because if there is a big fight over oil etc, I still wouldn't regret having them done, simply because of what they all represent as a whole and what they mean to me. But I am female, and we are complicated to understand, apparantly

Then i say go for it, was just giving an opinion, you gotta do what you feel innit :thumbsup:

black gerbil1;2638472

we all have our own tastes at the end of the day, I just find that style … we all have our own tastes at the end of the day, I just find that style very generic myself.

if your talking about chinese calligraphy then you haven't seen much because there are alot of different styles if you talking about the the basic style chinese characters people use as tattoos then yes its all the same because everyone is just using the basic style

and as stated by Naeem786 in post 17
    繁體中文字
    簡體中文字
    two different versions from the the get go

Yes, basically there are 2 versions, simple one and complicated one. InChina, they use simple. In Taiwan, they use complicated.

Must be the daftest thing ever. The person and everyone the know have no idea what the tattoo says and those who can read it get a cheap laugh as it translates in to a profanity.

Original Poster

Slash;2637829

lol I like how emmad started the thread and just let everyone talk … lol I like how emmad started the thread and just let everyone talk without responding

Well excuse me for having stuff to do and not being able to sit in front of my pc alnite!

Original Poster

And Thankyou everyone for all your replys and opinions, has made me think about the style of my tattoo now. Thankyou guys/gals.

Yes, basically there are 2 versions, simple one and complicated one. … Yes, basically there are 2 versions, simple one and complicated one. InChina, they use simple. In Taiwan, they use complicated]

Don't forget Hong Kong too, they write Traditional. And its Traditional not complicated, it was the original way of writing chinese till the people in China thought that was too hard.

You should see what's written on Chad Michael Murray's arm, that makes me laugh everytime.....who in the world would want "have" on your arm haha.

dmissy13

I have a large databse of chinese tattoos if you tell me thier names i … I have a large databse of chinese tattoos if you tell me thier names i can have a look see if i have them

my name is Paige, would you be able to translate my name into Chinese for me please?

Banned

still in fashion 4 years later??

paigedonaldson52

my name is Paige, would you be able to translate my name into Chinese … my name is Paige, would you be able to translate my name into Chinese for me please?

Epic bump.

So op, did you ever get it?

Banned

sancho1983

Epic bump.So op, did you ever get it?

Last active 3 years 6 months , epic dump
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest Fifa 18 Digital code?11
      2. Beer experts help required!22