Groups

Transmission fluid

I'm thinking about getting my transmission fluid changed in my Honda Civic 1.7ctdi, manual, mk7. Can someone tell me how many litres of oil I should buy?

21 Comments

Never heard that it requires change. Unless car done over 300K miles.

download a manual it should be in there but u usually top it up until it overflows as not all the old fluid will come out.

Is it automatic
    My brother's Japanese Nissan note 1.5 petrol is auto needed its transmission oil changed cost him circa £100 must be a Japanese thing

My father works at Toyota services and DOES NOT recommend to change transmission fluid -you can make it worst. New fluid will wash combustion products and other impurities, so they can block channels and then you will have a real problem. Manufacturers not recommend changing transmission fluids, only top up if needed.

Edited by: "Rimi" 20th Feb

Manual gearbox is usually under 2 litrers so 2 bottles
    Edited by: "thaigary" 20th Feb

thaigary

Manual gearbox is usually under 2 litrers so 2 bottles

​What size bottles?

Rimi

My father works at Toyota services and DOES NOT recommend to change … My father works at Toyota services and DOES NOT recommend to change transmission fluid -you can make it worst. New fluid will wash combustion products and other impurities, so they can block channels and then you will have a real problem. Manufacturers not recommend changing transmission fluids, only top up if needed.

​for automatics, this is true, particularly if the fluid is already 'burnt' as replacing it can cause friction issues.

however, with a manual, the same risk is not evident. manufacturers usually state 'lifelong' fluid but i have yet to witness any automotive fluid that can last over 10 years without breaking down.

It will take about 2.5 to 3 L

My sister has a 17 year old manual Toyota Corolla and transmission oil has never been changed. 297300 miles on the clock.

changing the auto gearbox thing is a massive discussion point on BMW's - the end result is if the car has done much more than 100000 then don't change it - if you have done about 80 then a change is good.
    as for quantity - my bmw took about 12 liters but you can only change / drain out 7L as it is not possible to drain the torque converter (so don't go on gearbox capacity's) - sorry I know nothing about hondas

so why do VW recommend that the DSG oil be changed every 40,00 miles?
    Mine requires 7 LITRES costing £200!!!

sowotsdis

so why do VW recommend that the DSG oil be changed every 40,00 miles?Mine … so why do VW recommend that the DSG oil be changed every 40,00 miles?Mine requires 7 LITRES costing £200!!!

The clutches in a true DSG gearbox wear (same as an auto in principle), the worn friction material particles get into the fluid which contaminate the fluid, so regular changes are required to keep the fluid clean.

........exactly so all gearboxes should require an oil change due to friction wear?

BTW the answer is 3L of MTF-3

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/gwynnemotorsport/DSCN2071_zps11c7feae.jpg

At around 100k you tend to get a worn synchromesh and putting new oil in tends to be thinner viscosity so in cold weather it can be pretty stiff to change gear and the issue may get worse as they wear even more. Sometimes adding additives can help or using a thicker viscosity but then you have to be careful because they may contain sulphur which could wear certain seals etc it's a mine field so might be better leaving it ;).

The clutch should never come in contact with transmission fluid, if it did it'd slip like mad. Dsg might be different.

sowotsdis

........exactly so all gearboxes should require an oil change due to … ........exactly so all gearboxes should require an oil change due to friction wear?

Regular manual gearboxes don't contain clutches (clutches are mounted between the engine and gearbox) so the oil won't contain clutch friction material, but the oil will contain metallic particles. Manufacturers claim the oil doesn't need changing for the life of the vehicle and should only be topped up.

Personally, I change the fluids at sensible intervals as I don't regard a car as worn out at 100k miles, like the manufacturers would have you believe.

shauneco

The clutch should never come in contact with transmission fluid, if it … The clutch should never come in contact with transmission fluid, if it did it'd slip like mad. Dsg might be different.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…box

A manual box has more than one syncromesh, there is one for each forward gear on all modern boxes and some have syncro on reverse too.

Edited by: "andymagic" 20th Feb

andymagic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearboxA manual box has more … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearboxA manual box has more than one syncromesh, there is one for each forward gear on all modern boxes and some have syncro on reverse too.

Yes I know, it's usually the 1st/2nd synchro that go first for obvious reasons. I know the Dsg uses a weird dual clutch system, it's a semi automatic.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 20th Feb

Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone. I've just booked my car in and the mechanic told me to buy 3 litres and said it'll probably use between 2.5 and 3 litres

ok tick a winner
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win £30,000 and a Parkdean Holiday Home with ITV Daytime (Postal/Text/Phone…99
      2. E: 23/10 (+4) Win £40,000, Mercedes GLA & Cliveden House Trip with X Factor…44
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 3999
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515

See more discussions