Transporting fridge flat?

Found 22nd Mar
Hi.

Just bought a fridge freezer from Gumtree and was wondering would it be okay to lay it flat for 30mins whilst transporting it in my car?

I know your not suppose to lay fridges flat but i dont fancy paying £50 for a man with a van.

Anyone done his before?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I think the recommended time for settling is 24hrs BEFORE you plug it in after laying it down.
17 Comments
I think as long as you leave it to settle afterwards you should be alright
mod
We did this a few years ago and ours was ok, just try to leave it for an hour or so for the gasses to settle.
Done it loads of times. Just be gentle and leave it to settle before you use it. Be fine.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone
I think the recommended time for settling is 24hrs BEFORE you plug it in after laying it down.
Have a look for hourly van rental, its only about a £10 plus a few quid in petrol and saves a lot stress and pain fudging your back up trying to avoid scratching it.
Original Poster
darlodge4 m ago

Have a look for hourly van rental, its only about a £10 plus a few quid in …Have a look for hourly van rental, its only about a £10 plus a few quid in petrol and saves a lot stress and pain fudging your back up trying to avoid scratching it.

Not seen any hourly rental websites? Do you know any?

I rang a man with a van and i was quoted £40-60.
Original Poster
Shengis5 m ago

https://www.diy.com/van-hire

Thats great that thank you!
Where abouts are you? I've used Eurocar, Hertz and Icanhire.com (they aren't a traditional hire place and area specific).
I asked B&Q about theirs a while back and they wouldn't let you book it unless you'd bought a large item in store
Edited by: "darlodge" 22nd Mar
Saw one in the back of a car earlier so guess it's the norm.
(Unless that was you OP?)
perfectly fine, we done this numerous times.

as long of course you leave it to settle for about 24 Hours
It's so the oil in the compressor can settle as it will travel up the piping if laying flat
darlodge3 h, 25 m ago

I asked B&Q about theirs a while back and they wouldn't let you book it …I asked B&Q about theirs a while back and they wouldn't let you book it unless you'd bought a large item in store

Unfortunately that might now be the case due to the London Bridge terrorist attack.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 22nd Mar
Or google man in a van in you location, or look in newsagents windows for a local van man which charges by the hour and will help you lift it up any stairs
OneGloveOnTheFence8 h, 41 m ago

It's so the oil in the compressor can settle as it will travel up the …It's so the oil in the compressor can settle as it will travel up the piping if laying flat

Yep, exactly that, leave for 24 hours upright before switching back on is the correct procedure.

As for the £10 per hour for the Van Ikea have a Van Partner for that, and you dont need to buy anything from Ikea.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants