Groups
    EXPIRED

Travel

Hi, we have

7 Comments

Original Poster

Any ideas please? Reasonable hotels (double rooms) please?

Thanks as always, Dio

Where is Pau?

Original Poster

m623d

Where is Pau?

In the south of France

http://www.univ-pau.fr/%7Edkomati1/pau_france.gif

[SIZE=2]Go every year through France to Spain. usually via South of France.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Tried many routes, now settled on one.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]If you have time, I'd avoid Autoroutes (expensive) and use N roads, they are very good.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Re Hotel on a budget, there are many choices. We usually stay overnight in a Campanile for around £20 a room, but there are cheaper ones, ie formula one.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]If you need a detailed route, send me an email or pm with destination and departure point and I'll work it out for you.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I've also used all forms of cross channel, so can help here too if necc.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mark[/SIZE]

Original Poster

m623d

[SIZE=2]Go every year through France to Spain. usually via South of … [SIZE=2]Go every year through France to Spain. usually via South of France.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Tried many routes, now settled on one.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]If you have time, I'd avoid Autoroutes (expensive) and use N roads, they are very good.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Re Hotel on a budget, there are many choices. We usually stay overnight in a Campanile for around £20 a room, but there are cheaper ones, ie formula one.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]If you need a detailed route, send me an email or pm with destination and departure point and I'll work it out for you.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]I've also used all forms of cross channel, so can help here too if necc.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Mark[/SIZE]

Thanks Mark - that's a good help.

We have plenty of time - probably about 10 day from leaving London until arriving in Pau on August 24th.

We are not averse to a few days in the north of Spain either so any suggestions for there welcome also.

We want a mixture of days at the beach and anything historic (churches, towns etc) along the way. We have no fixed routes so anthing you suggest will be great.

Many thanks for the response, Dio

mmmm, ok
    well I usually go on the ferry (dover/calais) if time isn't important, because you get to stretch your legs, have a meal etc.
    Not sure if world war 2 sites interest you, but there are loads around the north coast and just in land.
    I would then head for Rouen (avoiding Paris, unless you want to visit there)
    Maybe stop at Rouen, there is some good history surrounding there. (Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake here)
    From there you could head for LeMans and onto Bordeaux and the coast for a few nights at the beach. Not sure of any other historical places around here, but a quick goggle will tell you.
    Regarding Northern Spain, Not actually been over the border there, but I would if you have time. Very cheap food/spirits/fuel etc. There is also a bit of history around that area I believe.
    If you have time and it isn't too far (probably is actually) I would deffinitely go to Carcassonne to visit the walled city.
    There is also a Space centre in Toulouse, if thats your cup of tea.
    As I said, Hotels are very cheap, but try to make sure you find one before 4pm mid week as they do get filled up in summer, although booking ahead isn't necessary as there are so many to choose from.

Mark

Original Poster

Cheers Mark; that gives me something to be working on Will let you know how it all goes.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HDUK home for Star Trek: Discovery23
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would31125
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047173
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2441

See more discussions