travel agent changed our flights - what can be done?

Found 25th Jun 2011
Hey HUKD just wanted some advice.

Basically we had a holiday booked about a month back to fly to canada on the first week of July and to fly home after a week. Now the travel agent has called us back and are saying that the return flight is leaving in the morning instead of in the evening, therefore basically cutting our holiday down to 6 days.

Now considering four of us are going (with the tickets being each in excess of £500), are there any rights we specifically have?

On speaking to the travel agent and to the airline we have been told that we cannot get a refund or change out return flight to another day. Surely the fact that they are making changes to our schedule gives us some preference?

Any advice would be much appreciated. 7 days seemed short enough but 6 would be a jole....

thanks hukd
Community Updates
MiscFlight
18 Comments
Read your terms and conditions, I'm sure their will be something there about flight times changing and you being entitled to a refund if it's over X amount of hours.
When purchased, did the tickets state non refundable?
yes the tickets that we bought are non-refundable. However we would never had purchased the tickets for that returning time...
Have they changed the flight or just the time of your current flight?
they have changed the flight from departing canada in the evening to now departing in the morning

Also the T&C that i could find...

FLIGHT CHANGES
Should your flight be cancelled your rights and remedies will be governed by the airline's conditions of carriage. As a result you may be entitled to: (a) Carriage on another flight with the same airline without additional costs; (b) Re-routing to your destination with another carrier without additional costs; (c) Receiving a full refund; or (d) Some other right or remedy. If a schedule change occurs to your itinerary prior to our receipt from you of the full price, or prior to the issue of your tickets (on either the outbound or return flight) we will do our best to notify you on behalf of the carrier. Should a schedule change occur to your itinerary after full balance/ticket issue, on either the outbound or return flights the relevant supplier's decision will be final and amendment charges may apply.

I can see where your coming from, I'd be the same. I'm afraid it's all down to how they have worded it the terms and conditions. What airline are you flying with? And I'm assuming that it's not a package holiday

system_error01

yes the tickets that we bought are non-refundable. However we would never … yes the tickets that we bought are non-refundable. However we would never had purchased the tickets for that returning time...

When my flight from Florida was changed I was kinda miffed but wanted to see how far I could push it, so I got them to change the whole holiday effectively getting myself a massive refund at the time as well.
I told them we now couldnt go at all at the time they wanted to change us to (they had changed day though not just time albeit only by a day or so but still its not the point) the time they then changed us to due to this was subject to a massive price drop, equalling a pay out for me.
I can be a bit of a nightmare when travel companies mess me about though, we pay enough for our holidays without them cutting days off.
Not sure you can do much if its just the time though, if it was the dates then you would have a lot more to go on.
We are flying thorugh air transat (a canadian airline)... well I will speak to the most senior person possible, which is a bit irritating because everyone seems to be called "Mark" with no surname .... hopefully we can get atleast the next day .....not looking too promising though :-(

Was this a package holiday?

Skyebee

When my flight from Florida was changed I was kinda miffed but wanted to … When my flight from Florida was changed I was kinda miffed but wanted to see how far I could push it, so I got them to change the whole holiday effectively getting myself a massive refund at the time as well.I told them we now couldnt go at all at the time they wanted to change us to (they had changed day though not just time albeit only by a day or so but still its not the point) the time they then changed us to due to this was subject to a massive price drop, equalling a pay out for me.I can be a bit of a nightmare when travel companies mess me about though, we pay enough for our holidays without them cutting days off. Not sure you can do much if its just the time though, if it was the dates then you would have a lot more to go on.

Oh sorry. No we will be flying back with the same airline and it is not a package holiday. They have just changed the return flight from evening to morning by air transat
system_error01

Oh sorry. No we will be flying back with the same airline and it is not a … Oh sorry. No we will be flying back with the same airline and it is not a package holiday. They have just changed the return flight from evening to morning by air transat

Is the flight number still the same, ie is it still the same flight, which has been re-assigned another time, or are you on a completely different flight with a different flight number and flight time?
Beware Air Transat code share with Thomas Cook Airlines so you could be flying with them. When and where are you due to fly?

I think there is little you could do if the airline has changed the flight times and the travel agent is merely informing you of the changes. If the travel agent has changed the return time, then you may be able to hold him in breach of contract. You really need to read the full terms & conditions of the travel agent and also the airline.

dcx_badass

Dear god, answer my damn question.

Having a bad day, or time of the month? (_;)
yep same flight number ... flying out from gatwick 1st week july to toronto (pearson international) and returning a week later
The Therapist

I think there is little you could do if the airline has changed the … I think there is little you could do if the airline has changed the flight times and the travel agent is merely informing you of the changes. If the travel agent has changed the return time, then you may be able to hold him in breach of contract. You really need to read the full terms & conditions of the travel agent and also the airline.Having a bad day, or time of the month? (_;)

took the words right out of my mouth :-)
flight changes are nothing to do with the travel agent. Airlines responsibility and they can do it. Just ask for a full refund.
I assume you are booked on the TS822 that leaves at 15.50 as this is the earliest flight that Air Transat operates to the uk. If that is the case ask to transfer to the TS622 due to be unable to get back to the airport in time.
callum84

Was this a package holiday?

Flights were with someone else but booked by same company, not package as such, independant travel agents. I never use the "big boys" now, not when I got Florida for 3 weeks, 3 adults 2 kids for £800 an adult, all tickets and transfers included. With the flight change though all accommodation had to change understandably, the flight change had taken me in to a week when we couldnt leave with the children and was not our fault or choice so they cancelled, rebooked and I got cash back in the process.
thanks all, I will try my best to see what I can get. Maybe there is a bit of hope....

Also hope your OK now badass:-)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants