Travel Ins claim due to Corona

Posted 18th May
Guys, has anyone had any luck with the claming on their travel insurance for cancelled or rescheduled holidays?

We had a holiday booked for March but ended up having to reschedule for later in the year. The problem is that the hotel wasnt available for the price we paid so we ended up having to pay £200 extra for booking fees etc to change dates etc.

Do we have any grounds to claim this 200 back of our travel insurance? or Could we put in a claim in for the full holiday amount despite us being able to rebook?
I know travel insurance companies will wiggle out of anything but curious of your experience.
Thanks
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

8 Comments
I think the cut off date for most travel insurance companies was 13th March. Although happy to be proven different. So if you had the insurance before then you should be ok, after this, they refused to cover coronavirus related claims as it then became a ‘known issue’ and won’t be covered.
Yes luckly I put in a claim prior to my old insurance policy expiring so just need tofill in the paperwork and confirm what I can claim for
You'll have to consider your excess. Also some policies even before mid March didn't cover pandemics etc..
id doubt insurance will pay out just because your chosen date wasnt available.

If the hotel let you move without penalty to the amount paid maybe you wont have a reason to claim the whole cost as you havent missed the rebooked days yet
I might be misunderstanding your question, but why would you think you had a valid claim for £200 or the whole amount of the holiday . Surely if you weren’t happy with the rebooking extra fee , you could have taken a full refund as cash , and not been out of pocket. I can’t see any reason why you would think you had a claim for choosing to rebook your holiday , knowing it would cost you a little extra on your new chosen date . Is there more info you haven’t included ?
tinkerbellian19/05/2020 06:04

I might be misunderstanding your question, but why would you think you had …I might be misunderstanding your question, but why would you think you had a valid claim for £200 or the whole amount of the holiday . Surely if you weren’t happy with the rebooking extra fee , you could have taken a full refund as cash , and not been out of pocket. I can’t see any reason why you would think you had a claim for choosing to rebook your holiday , knowing it would cost you a little extra on your new chosen date . Is there more info you haven’t included ?

Yes the holiday company wouldnt allow us a refund so we had no choice but to pay there booking fee to change to another date.
The hotel we booked was also unavailable on any date so we didnt have any choice.

One of the issues is that our booking was right at the start of this crisis where everything was up in the air. If it was now I'd be fighting for a refund but at that time they were still telling us to go 2 days before until the boarders shut and fco issued no travel advice.
flang19/05/2020 07:12

Yes the holiday company wouldnt allow us a refund so we had no choice but …Yes the holiday company wouldnt allow us a refund so we had no choice but to pay there booking fee to change to another date. The hotel we booked was also unavailable on any date so we didnt have any choice.One of the issues is that our booking was right at the start of this crisis where everything was up in the air. If it was now I'd be fighting for a refund but at that time they were still telling us to go 2 days before until the boarders shut and fco issued no travel advice.

If you changed the booking before the FCO travel advised against not travelling then I think you'll be out of luck. Nearly all insurance companies will look to at FCO advice and only pay out if they advise against travel. Otherwise it's your choice to change, therefore you must pay the charges for the change.

I was in a similar situation, due to go to Rhodes on 4th April when greeks closed their borders a week or so before. Travel company issued a full refund.

Worth a try though, the worst they can do is reject the claim.
Sim19/05/2020 07:22

If you changed the booking before the FCO travel advised against not …If you changed the booking before the FCO travel advised against not travelling then I think you'll be out of luck. Nearly all insurance companies will look to at FCO advice and only pay out if they advise against travel. Otherwise it's your choice to change, therefore you must pay the charges for the change. I was in a similar situation, due to go to Rhodes on 4th April when greeks closed their borders a week or so before. Travel company issued a full refund.Worth a try though, the worst they can do is reject the claim.

Yea we only changed it after the fco released the advice but our holiday company still charged a fee which we had no choice but to pay.
I think your right theres no harm in trying the claim and see what they say. It would be nice to get the £200 back!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions