Travel insurance advice

Posted 27th Feb
I've booked plane tickets and hotels separately for a trip abroad and now the FCO is advising against any travel to that part of the country.

Is it too late to take out any travel insurance policy to claim back any refund?

Please advice as it's costing £1k each.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
You should take out travel insurance when you make the booking, not when something adverse happens later.
As above- it’d be far too quick and easy for the insurance company to cross reference the date you take the policy out with the date when the FCO first advised against travel.
It’d be like taking out car insurance after you’ve crashed but still trying to claim on the new policy.

I’m not sure legally how cooperative they’d need to be but it’d be worth speaking to the hotel and airline in the first instance to see if there’s anything they can do (i.e. delay your bookings).
Edited by: "ytfc_nick" 27th Feb
Yep you should have bought insurance first. Did you pay on credit card? You might be able to claim it back if the foreign office are saying not to go, or the hotel & air line might let you change for a small admin fee.
as the risk has been realised you can't get insurance for it now.
Which country is it out of interest?
Read the policy document on couple of quotes and states claims cannot be made if FCO advising not to travel to that country.

So I'm thinking it's somewhat pointless if your in that situation.
rimalpatel00727/02/2020 20:58

Read the policy document on couple of quotes and states claims cannot be …Read the policy document on couple of quotes and states claims cannot be made if FCO advising not to travel to that country. So I'm thinking it's somewhat pointless if your in that situation.

It's abit of a minefield. That clause means if you travel to a place that has a warning against it, they will not honour any claims while in resort as you traveled despite the FCO warning. If the place you are going to, does have the full no travel warning, then the airline can't operate into that destination anyhow and depending on the airline may offer alt dates, refund or offer of exchange etc. Basically contact the airline. If the airport is not inside the area, it's not the airlines fault to where you choose to book a hotel. But in that case again, contact the hotel or booking agent and they may allow a change. Basically travel insurance would only help if you already in resort and then it went under the warning or you had it in place before the full warning was given out along with the airline/hotel agent not refunding. Don't wish to link to a "rival" site, but MSE has an article on it.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 27th Feb
Thanks, I'll be able to claw back the hotel booking as it had free cancellation.

Airline not open till tomorrow so will call first thing.
Seriously though, to get the full benefit of travel insurance take it out when you first make a booking.
Thanks noted for future holidays. Lesson learnt.
rimalpatel00727/02/2020 21:26

Thanks noted for future holidays. Lesson learnt.

Take a look at quotezone. Debenhams still have the £15 gift card offer on for annual. Last year for annual europe (they also include Turkey in Europe policy) they paid me a nett of 63p to take it out, this year I paid a whole 82p nett. Its covered by rock insurance so no worries if Debenhams goes belly up. Means you always covered for any of your bookings.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 27th Feb
If you’re only purchasing insurance after the FCO has released the statement then the Insurance people WILL find out as they keep a close eye on every detail.
You'll end up in one of those daytime BBC TV 'Fraud' programmes presented some guy called Dom or voiced-over by Paul Ross...
Most airlines offer you a refund if the fco advise against travel after you booked
Edited by: "chocci" 28th Feb
Apparently no insurance company is going to pay out because of this virus
Was on news on radio
Misslovely28/02/2020 10:17

Apparently no insurance company is going to pay out because of this virus …Apparently no insurance company is going to pay out because of this virus Was on news on radio

doesn't surprise me as most insurance clause will have exclusion about act of god etc so anything that they have not valued in the premium and a pandemic is never going to be taken into account when they calculate insurance premiums.
You should buy holiday insurance when you buy the holiday. Sorry op but you've lost out this time
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants