Travel Insurance Rights Advice & Ryanair contact advice.

Found 17th Jul
Hi all ... hope someone can give me some sound advice.

My family & I were unable to fly out on booked flights with Ryanair as my father became seriously ill a couple of days before we were due to go .... he had just had cancer treatment and picked up a post treatment infection. He was still ill at the time of the flight out. We had booked the flights a couple of months earlier as although being treated his health was stable.

Our Travel Insurance company say they are not willing to accept the claim as he had a pre existing condition i.e. cancer and was having treatment at the time we booked (but no infection and he was stable).

I told them I am challenging the decision and they have asked me to produce medical information (which is fine) but also confirmation from Ryanair that we cancelled or did not board and that they will not refund. I have tried contacting Ryanair via the online chat which took an hour & a half to connect to (as I cannot find any email address) but when I followed their instruction on the refund page all I get is 'we are unable to process your application at this time'.

In reality I would not expect Ryanair to refund at such short notice but I need the confirmation from them for the Insurance Company.

Any thoughts or help would be welcome as it is not something I had hoped to have to deal with given all that is going on.
Community Updates
AskHolidays & Leisure
12 Comments
" he had a pre existing condition i.e. cancer and was having treatment at the time we booked"
I think you can forget the infection/stable bit.... was he actually having treatment for cancer at the time you booked. I really don't know but isn't treatment ongoing if you have cancer
Did you declare the cancer when you bought the insurance policy?
Wadda1 h, 0 m ago

Did you declare the cancer when you bought the insurance policy?

So should we all declare the old age of our parents/friends and similar 'possible conditions that 'might' result in an illness? Of course not. This is the old insurance scam of rejecting the claim as step 1 in the process. They very fact they have asked for the info confirms they have not yet established grounds for rejecting the claim and are trying it on. It is up to the insurer to prove the claim is invalid, not up to the insured to prove it is valid.

The question is whether or not the OP did, or should have known that the person was going to fall ill and prevent them travelling. If yes, then the insurer is right to reject the claim.

This one sounds like it will end up with the ombudsman either because the insurer has not correctly processed the claim (already proven by rejecting and then asking for evidence) or because the claimant had no reasonable expectation of the event.
I had a similar situation a few years ago. My father in law died the day before we were due to go on holiday. My insurance company paid out without a quibble even though he had a pre existing medical condition. Keep trying.
Sorry about your father but if you didn't mention he had cancer when taking out the insurance, then they have every right to reject your claim.
Thanks for the replies ....my thoughts are like those of ccnp in that although my father was having treatment nobody expected the downturn. Ok this is cancer but hopefully not terminal .... if we had a parent on renal dialysis which may be ongoing much longer would that prevent a claim in the same circumstances if there was a downturn.

For me the question is would I have reasonably have expected to know the event would have occurred .... and the answer is definitely NO.

Incidentally the insurance is with a well known building society and I was not asked any questions about relatives apart from those insured.

I am expecting a long drawn out affair unfortunately and I really could do without it.
From money supermarkets general advice on travel insurance reasons why policies will not pay out

"Equally, while the illness of a “close relative” should include a parent or sibling, you will usually find that grandparents, aunts or cousins are not included. Similarly, if a relative has an ongoing condition, this is likely to invalidate any claim."

I would not expect a refund via the travel insurance as the main condition , cancer , was pre existing even if stable at the time of booking . I would still try to make a case for one , but I would consider myself lucky if it was agreed.

Hope your Dad is doing ok , which is obviously most important
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 17th Jul
I don't get it. Was your father due to fly out too?
Or was it just you, your spouse and kids who couldn't go due to the sudden worse health?
If the 2nd then why would you have to declare someone who isn't flying out on the insurance? Is that the norm to tell the health of non flyers too?
Hope you get it sorted either way and sorry im no help regarding ryan air
adhkarzf54 m ago

I don't get it. Was your father due to fly out too? Or was it just you, …I don't get it. Was your father due to fly out too? Or was it just you, your spouse and kids who couldn't go due to the sudden worse health? If the 2nd then why would you have to declare someone who isn't flying out on the insurance? Is that the norm to tell the health of non flyers too?Hope you get it sorted either way and sorry im no help regarding ryan air

I'm equally confused about which scenario the OP is talking about

If your dad was going to fly out with you - and you all cancelled because he was ill - and you didn't declare his pre-existing condition of cancer (and he is named on the policy), then the insurance company is absolutely correct not to pay out.

If he was going to fly out with you - and he had bought a different travel insurance policy - and therefore your policy did not contain his illness details, then it's slightly more grey. I'd favour the travel insurance company since, had they known that he had cancer, your premium would definitely have been a few pounds higher. They weren't able to price this into their risk. But you have a weak arguable point; but a joint policy is definitely the way to go for the future to help in this sort of situation.

If he wasn't going to fly out with you - and therefore was not named on your insurance policy - then you need to read the entirety of your terms and conditions of your policy. It should have have specific definitions of everything; and when they will, and will not, pay out. His pre existing condition of cancer is not directly the reason for your cancellation - it is a severe infection (albeit linked to his treatment). I'd favour you much more in this scenario.

Wishing him a speedy recovery
Edited by: "Firefly1" 18th Jul
Unless it was one of the boarding party whom was ill and thus affected from boarding the flight, you’re s hit out of luck.
No my father was not due to fly out with us and it was him picking up an unexpected infection that stopped us travelling as we had to care for him as he got so weak.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants