Travel insurance without GP

Found 25th Jan
Hi All,

I am travelling in 2 weeks time and i thought it will be a good idea to get a travel insurance.
I am going South Africa, while there is no requirement to have it, i think its a good idea to have it.
The problem however is that, a good annual cover is costing £26.xx but it needs the person to registered with a GP which i am not.
Any solutions?

Thanks in advance 😊
Community Updates
22 Comments
All travel insurance will need your gp to complete a questionaire and forward your medical history when you submit a medical claim, unless the claim is small, so you will need to register with your local gp.

if you are a uk national, you would have already have a gp, so i am guessing you are a foreign national?
You will need insurance, really should have it as soon as you book the holiday. Just call a doctor tomorrow and register with them
Original Poster
mutley130 m ago

All travel insurance will need your gp to complete a questionaire and …All travel insurance will need your gp to complete a questionaire and forward your medical history when you submit a medical claim, unless the claim is small, so you will need to register with your local gp.if you are a uk national, you would have already have a gp, so i am guessing you are a foreign national?

I am a national, never needed a gp and with the current pressures on nhs i felt theres no need to register. So are you saying if there is no medical claim its ok to register and say that i have a gp?
Original Poster
eslick28 m ago

You will need insurance, really should have it as soon as you book the …You will need insurance, really should have it as soon as you book the holiday. Just call a doctor tomorrow and register with them

The criteria is to have a gp for atleast 6 months.
There are other insurers who do not require it but a bit expensive.
For eg insure and go is the one. Costing 19-28 altogether
haa051818 m ago

I am a national, never needed a gp and with the current pressures on nhs i …I am a national, never needed a gp and with the current pressures on nhs i felt theres no need to register. So are you saying if there is no medical claim its ok to register and say that i have a gp?

Odd you have never registered. Have you never had to visit the gp since you were a child?

I have never been admitted to hospital or visited A&E (touch wood) but I have been to see the GP several times since I was born!

Even if the insurer does not ask for gp when you buy insurance, they will still need your medical records when you submit a medical claim. How else will they be able to verify that you dont have pre existing medical conditions?

If the claim is not a medical claim, then they wont need to contact your gp, for example, lost luggage. But the whole point of travel insurance is the medical cover as medical costs can run into thousands, if not hundred thousand. Most people can afford to replace lost luggage and it is not life changing if you miss your flight, but it would be if you were involved in an accident or became critically ill and needed an operation whilst on holiday, and you dont happen to have the thousand of pounds to pay yourself for the operation or medical treatment.
As someone who works at Insure and Go, you need to reside for the past 6 out of 12 months in the UK, declare all medical conditions you’ve suffered from in the last two years (5 if cancer)

You will need to be registered with a local gp/doctor and the insurance will need to be purchased within the UK. Any slight false information “WILL” negate any medical claims you make. Other criteria’s may not be effected such as lost/theft/damaged items or travel delay as we don’t need to seek to your doctor unless of course it is loss of medical equipment

Hope this helps! 🏼
Original Poster
darkfrost12 m ago

As someone who works at Insure and Go, you need to reside for the past 6 …As someone who works at Insure and Go, you need to reside for the past 6 out of 12 months in the UK, declare all medical conditions you’ve suffered from in the last two years (5 if cancer)You will need to be registered with a local gp/doctor and the insurance will need to be purchased within the UK. Any slight false information “WILL” negate any medical claims you make. Other criteria’s may not be effected such as lost/theft/damaged items or travel delay as we don’t need to seek to your doctor unless of course it is loss of medical equipmentHope this helps! 🏼

I spoke with insure and go team today and was told about the first condition but not about being registered with the gp. But was asked about having medical condition, which i do not have
haa05183 m ago

I spoke with insure and go team today and was told about the first …I spoke with insure and go team today and was told about the first condition but not about being registered with the gp. But was asked about having medical condition, which i do not have

If you’re not registered with a local gp/ doctor and need to make a claim it will more than likely be rejected as harsh as it seems because you’re not registered.

The only thing would be our budget level of cover where we don’t offer pre-existing medical coverage but the excess is £100 and claiming for anything on your table of benefits would be a low payout.

Unless of course you have an excess waiver which I always suggest.
haa051810 m ago

I spoke with insure and go team today and was told about the first …I spoke with insure and go team today and was told about the first condition but not about being registered with the gp. But was asked about having medical condition, which i do not have

That is because you didnt ask about the gp and they probably assumed you had a gp like everyone else. When you make a medical claim, they will need to verify that you have declared all medical conditions, and they can only do this by contacting your gp to get your medical history.

Without a gp, you can buy the insurance, but good luck with making a medical claim. Insurers are great at taking your money, but when it comes to paying out on a claim, especially large claims, which medical claims tend to be, they will want you to jump through hoops, and they will look at every avenue to duck out of paying your claim. Not being able to check your medical history will be an obvious excuse/reason for them not to pay out.
Original Poster
Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated.
mutley114 m ago

That is because you didnt ask about the gp and they probably assumed you …That is because you didnt ask about the gp and they probably assumed you had a gp like everyone else. When you make a medical claim, they will need to verify that you have declared all medical conditions, and they can only do this by contacting your gp to get your medical history.Without a gp, you can buy the insurance, but good luck with making a medical claim. Insurers are great at taking your money, but when it comes to paying out on a claim, especially large claims, which medical claims tend to be, they will want you to jump through hoops, and they will look at every avenue to duck out of paying your claim. Not being able to check your medical history will be an obvious excuse/reason for them not to pay out.

As bad as it seems, it is more than likely. Any concerns though always chat to our CSU agents (which I am)

They will go through everything to help out as best and even IF something is not covered in lines with our terms and conditions, we can still log the claim and under “extreme” circumstances they still can be paid out. But having a GP IS a must for medical claims 🏼
Original Poster
darkfrost124 m ago

As bad as it seems, it is more than likely. Any concerns though always …As bad as it seems, it is more than likely. Any concerns though always chat to our CSU agents (which I am)They will go through everything to help out as best and even IF something is not covered in lines with our terms and conditions, we can still log the claim and under “extreme” circumstances they still can be paid out. But having a GP IS a must for medical claims 🏼

What if i keep a screenshot of the chat and show it later? If a claim is made?
Why not just register with a GP? It’s not onerous, just registering doesn’t cause a problem and if you need an introductory appointment/health check then 9/10 times it’s with the practice nurse.

What do you do if you get an infection or something and need antibiotics? Do you go to A&E for it or are you so lucky you’ve never needed the services of a doctor?
Anyone who envisages travelling abroad without travel insurance is either mad,reckless or just plain stupid. It covers an awful lot more than just medical care when you are out there.
Don't forget vaccinations

for the short-term traveller the recommended vaccinations for South Africausually consist of cover against Tetanus and Diphtheria, Hepatitis A and Typhoid. For trekking holidays or extended visits Rabies and Hepatitis B may need to be considered.

gpathand.nhs.uk/
Take it out when you book, not just before you travel
Original Poster
generationz18 m ago

Take it out when you book, not just before you travel

I have already booked the travel. Travelling in 3 weeks. Is it ok to get the insurance now?
Original Poster
chocci7 h, 44 m ago

Don't forget vaccinationsfor the short-term traveller the recommended …Don't forget vaccinationsfor the short-term traveller the recommended vaccinations for South Africausually consist of cover against Tetanus and Diphtheria, Hepatitis A and Typhoid. For trekking holidays or extended visits Rabies and Hepatitis B may need to be considered.

I agree
haa051850 m ago

I have already booked the travel. Travelling in 3 weeks. Is it ok to get …I have already booked the travel. Travelling in 3 weeks. Is it ok to get the insurance now?

Get it ASAP. What if you get ill tomorrow and can't travel ? If you don't have insurance you will lose everything.
Original Poster
generationz13 m ago

Get it ASAP. What if you get ill tomorrow and can't travel ? If you don't …Get it ASAP. What if you get ill tomorrow and can't travel ? If you don't have insurance you will lose everything.

So i spoke to their rep on chat asked for the go requirement and there isnt any. I have saved that chat for future reference and also registered with the online gp.
Original Poster
adam_holcombe4 h, 50 m ago

Just did it. thank you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants