Travel security safe

Found 2nd Mar
Hello everyone I'm looking for a little advice/info, I'm going to Benidorm in April and don't trust using apartment safe due to reviews, so was looking for any advice from someone who travels about and uses a travel safe, I've looked at 2 safes, 1st one seems like a good one but it's very expensive for something I might only ever use once or twice, safe 2 has good reviews but people say the hinge is plastic so might not be really trust worthy, just want to know what other people use and what they think of it, I will be going on my own so it will only be holding a passport, spare bank card a phone and maybe a few other item, I want to be able to leave it in the apartment so would need a cable to attach it to something as I'm only taking a holdall and it wouldn't be to secure in there. The two safes I looked at are below.

Safe 1

Safe 2
Community Updates
Ask
33 Comments
Go to benidorm every year on a lads couple of nights out and never had any problems with things getting stolen
To be honest, neither will be safe. Firstly, you’ll need to find something to attach them that isn’t movable and secondly, both look like they could be cut into.
You’d be better off looking into hiding the items in your room. The phone is a bit trickier to hide, but I’d normally hide a passport and cash card under something that isn’t moved often, like the tv stand, wardrobe or even if you can pull the carpet up a little in the corner.
Realistically, if someone is going to break into your room, they will steal what they can find.
To make your things completely safe, it will cost you a fortune and be bulky. Hide your passport, hide a copy of it somewhere else and leave a copy in the UK with a friend or relative so they can send it to you if needed, hide your card somewhere else and keep separate to any other car for money and conceal your phone.
Most of all, relax and enjoy yourself!
Seriously! Link 1 is not a link but if it's anything like link 2, then neither of them are a safe in any sense of the word. Either change your apartment if the reviews are that dire or hide the goods in the apartment.
What sort of stuff are you looking to put in the safe? Money? Expensive jewellery?

Safes are only good if they are bolted down and are very heavy and expensive. Hotel rooms often have a safe in them. We have left our passport and documents with hotel reception for a fee. I leave expensive jewellery at home on holiday and i withdraw cash when i need it.
what kind of reviews does the Safe have at hotel, there so only so much you can do and i just put it in hotel safe, and get good travel insurance
Been to Benidorm every year for the past 4 years, never had a problem using the hotel safe. Did get my phone taken out of my pocket last year though so if you don't need to take it out then don't, my own fault really as I know what it can be like, it was the first night and I didn't change the shorts I'd travelled in for some others with zip or button pockets as I was in too much of a rush to get out
I wouldn't trust either of those. Combination locks are pretty easy to crack and both look a bit flimsy
ktm66648 m ago

To be honest, neither will be safe. Firstly, you’ll need to find something …To be honest, neither will be safe. Firstly, you’ll need to find something to attach them that isn’t movable and secondly, both look like they could be cut into. You’d be better off looking into hiding the items in your room. The phone is a bit trickier to hide, but I’d normally hide a passport and cash card under something that isn’t moved often, like the tv stand, wardrobe or even if you can pull the carpet up a little in the corner.Realistically, if someone is going to break into your room, they will steal what they can find. To make your things completely safe, it will cost you a fortune and be bulky. Hide your passport, hide a copy of it somewhere else and leave a copy in the UK with a friend or relative so they can send it to you if needed, hide your card somewhere else and keep separate to any other car for money and conceal your phone.Most of all, relax and enjoy yourself!

What If they have hidden cameras in the room ?
mutley152 m ago

What sort of stuff are you looking to put in the safe? Money? Expensive …What sort of stuff are you looking to put in the safe? Money? Expensive jewellery?Safes are only good if they are bolted down and are very heavy and expensive. Hotel rooms often have a safe in them. We have left our passport and documents with hotel reception for a fee. I leave expensive jewellery at home on holiday and i withdraw cash when i need it.

Only be using it for my passport and a spare phone and a bank card, might try and leave them at reception if that's safer or try hiding them in the room somewhere.
psychobitchfromhell22 m ago

I wouldn't trust either of those. Combination locks are pretty easy to …I wouldn't trust either of those. Combination locks are pretty easy to crack and both look a bit flimsy

First one has wire mesh throught it, it can't be cut or so they say, and you can put any lock on it not just the one that comes with it
feckineejit3 m ago

First one has wire mesh throught it, it can't be cut or so they say, and …First one has wire mesh throught it, it can't be cut or so they say, and you can put any lock on it not just the one that comes with it

so just carry it away and then persist at trying to crack ir
OllieSt1 h, 3 m ago

Seriously! Link 1 is not a link but if it's anything like link 2, then …Seriously! Link 1 is not a link but if it's anything like link 2, then neither of them are a safe in any sense of the word. Either change your apartment if the reviews are that dire or hide the goods in the apartment.

The reviews of the apartment aren't bad, it's just me reading reviews about hotel safes in general about being easily opened by staff etc, so just a bit weary about using one.
feckineejit6 m ago

First one has wire mesh throught it, it can't be cut or so they say, and …First one has wire mesh throught it, it can't be cut or so they say, and you can put any lock on it not just the one that comes with it

So what have the reviews said about the apartment safe? Sounds a bit dodgy to me.
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

So what have the reviews said about the apartment safe? Sounds a bit dodgy …So what have the reviews said about the apartment safe? Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

I just posted above your post psychobitchfromhell I'm just a bit security concious atm as I've never been away on my own, and it's only my 2nd holiday
Skaman44 m ago

Been to Benidorm every year for the past 4 years, never had a problem …Been to Benidorm every year for the past 4 years, never had a problem using the hotel safe. Did get my phone taken out of my pocket last year though so if you don't need to take it out then don't, my own fault really as I know what it can be like, it was the first night and I didn't change the shorts I'd travelled in for some others with zip or button pockets as I was in too much of a rush to get out

Will definitely be having buttons or zip pockets as I read a few posts about pickpockets
Just be careful at night when you go out just take enough money and leave your wallet in the apartment, the ladies have wandering hands when they are touting for your business
feckineejit12 m ago

I just posted above your post psychobitchfromhell I'm just a bit security …I just posted above your post psychobitchfromhell I'm just a bit security concious atm as I've never been away on my own, and it's only my 2nd holiday

I've used many hotel safes all over the world without issue. There is always the possibility of unscrupulous staff wherever you are. I'd be more concerned that having a portable safe in plain view is advertising you have something worth nicking. You'll most likely have your phone with you and a bank card. You can usually leave your passport at the hotel reception if you don't want to use the room safe
feckineejit42 m ago

Looks like a gimmick it's so small u could just nick the whole thing take it away and open it somewhere else. I think ur being a bit paranoid. Don't think hotel staff usually nick a lot of passports just be vigilant and hide it in ur clothes or somewhere. For the cost of that safe u probably better of just insurance ur self against theft or something so if ur passport gets nicked u can get back for free hopefully. U can hide ur money or a credit card in something like a toilet or kitchen roll thief's not going suspect it is in there. Or put smelly clothes in a bag and they probably wouldn't look in there either. Also better of getting a few good locks for your suitcases instead if you still worrying about it.
feckineejit1 h, 40 m ago

Only be using it for my passport and a spare phone and a bank card, might …Only be using it for my passport and a spare phone and a bank card, might try and leave them at reception if that's safer or try hiding them in the room somewhere.

We have not had issue with hotel room safe. You choose your own combination. I am never too concerned and just leave stuff in my suitcase without any issue, but my husband prefers to lock stuff away. Hotel reception will be fine if you dont have a safe in your room
akkybadi2 h, 7 m ago

What If they have hidden cameras in the room ?

Then you’d better keep your hands above your waist or your passport being nicked will be the least of your worries when the sextortion takes place!!
feckineejit1 h, 46 m ago

Will definitely be having buttons or zip pockets as I read a few posts …Will definitely be having buttons or zip pockets as I read a few posts about pickpockets

Pick pockets can still easily steal from zipped or buttoned pockets. Just be alert when you feel there are people close around you
The point of safes are that they are fixed in place or extremely heavy, a travel safe is neither of these things, nothing stops them walking off with it.
Best money I spend for going on holidays alone, a man bag. Got a canvas messenger style one off Amazon, keep everything I need in its zillion pockets inside. Also increases your carry on allowance as most airlines still allow a small bag along with hand luggage. Although now I know why me late partner moaned so much when I was giving her my stuff to put in her handbag on holidays lol. As others have said you can leave passport normally with reception, personally always keep my phone with me as it can be your lifeline and I'd tend to always have it for using the camera. Take a photograph of your passport and have it on the cloud with the likes of google photo's backup etc, means if you ever lose "everything" you can still get the details with the use of a computer/tablet etc. I take pics or screen grabs of all travel documents also and keep on the cloud along with EHIC card details and insurance details etc also. Also after a few "incidents" with pronunciation I take a pic of the front of the hotel/apartments as handy to show to a taxi driver, as not all room keys/cards have hotel name (on purpose) on them incase they are stolen. Although normally you do get a card or holder with the name on it.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 3rd Mar
Talking about passports. Apparently it is advisable to have your passport, travel insurance documents and EHIC card on your person when you are on holiday as you would need to show them if you are involved in an accident or are taken urgently ill and need to go to hospital immediately.

A friend of ours said that their friends made the mistake of leaving their passport at the hotel (like we all do) when they were on holiday in Paris and the guy had a heart attack while they were out sight seeing. The ambulance was called but the driver refused to take them to the hospital until they could show their passport! They explained that they were British and were entitled to medical care in France and they also had travel insurance but it would take them time to get back to the hotel and the guy needs urgent attention so they don't have time.

After much argument, the ambulance agreed to take them, but the delay meant the guy died by the time they got to hospital. WTF
Thanks Cecil will take photos, never thought of that, just bought a pouch thing today that straps around my neck and under my arm, has 2 zip pockets and a mesh one at the back seems like a good item to keep my passport, phone etc in and out of sight of prying fingers
33368529.jpg33368529.jpg
Edited by: "feckineejit" 3rd Mar
mutley112 m ago

Talking about passports. Apparently it is advisable to have your …Talking about passports. Apparently it is advisable to have your passport, travel insurance documents and EHIC card on your person when you are on holiday as you would need to show them if you are involved in an accident or are taken urgently ill and need to go to hospital immediately.A friend of ours said that their friends made the mistake of leaving their passport at the hotel (like we all do) when they were on holiday in Paris and the guy had a heart attack while they were out sight seeing. The ambulance was called but the driver refused to take them to the hospital until they could show their passport! They explained that they were British and were entitled to medical care in France and they also had travel insurance but it would take them time to get back to the hotel and the guy needs urgent attention so they don't have time.After much argument, the ambulance agreed to take them, but the delay meant the guy died by the time they got to hospital. WTF

Think I'll stay away from Paris
We have lost faith in safes when we forgot the combination to our safe, which we had bought from argos and is similar to the one in the attached video.

I tried to use the key that came with the safe instead but it did not work and the safe would not open. so i googled how to open a safe and came across this video. i did not think it would work but thought there was no harm in trying it out. i got a potato and got the safe opened with the potato by doing what they did in the video. i was completely shocked how easy it was to open the safe, but was so glad that it did as i had stashed cash, expensive jewellery and all important documents and passports in there and it would have been a disaster if it did not open. we would have had to employ a locksmith to crack it open.

needless to say, we threw the safe down the tip the same week as it dawned on us how vulnerable we were having all our valuables in a safe like that, which anyone could open if they googled!

mutley143 m ago

Talking about passports. Apparently it is advisable to have your …Talking about passports. Apparently it is advisable to have your passport, travel insurance documents and EHIC card on your person when you are on holiday as you would need to show them if you are involved in an accident or are taken urgently ill and need to go to hospital immediately.A friend of ours said that their friends made the mistake of leaving their passport at the hotel (like we all do) when they were on holiday in Paris and the guy had a heart attack while they were out sight seeing. The ambulance was called but the driver refused to take them to the hospital until they could show their passport! They explained that they were British and were entitled to medical care in France and they also had travel insurance but it would take them time to get back to the hotel and the guy needs urgent attention so they don't have time.After much argument, the ambulance agreed to take them, but the delay meant the guy died by the time they got to hospital. WTF

Well I know in Portugal they fine with photographs and digital copies after I broke me arm once years ago.
cecilmcroberts5 m ago

Well I know in Portugal they fine with photographs and digital copies …Well I know in Portugal they fine with photographs and digital copies after I broke me arm once years ago.

good advice. i will take photos of our documents on our phones as back up. it will also help if we lose the documents on holiday.
feckineejit51 m ago

Thanks Cecil will take photos, never thought of that, just bought a pouch …Thanks Cecil will take photos, never thought of that, just bought a pouch thing today that straps around my neck and under my arm, has 2 zip pockets and a mesh one at the back seems like a good item to keep my passport, phone etc in and out of sight of prying fingers [Image] [Image]

I bought a "waterproof" pouch similar which I use to keep stuff inside one of the compartments inside the manbag, it also has a D-ring inside the bag so you can attach to that, added also some little "bells" I picked up once from a Police stand at a fair which are meant for womens purses or mens wallets en such so you also "hear" if touched. Something like these. Basically each "layer" you add makes it difficult for pick pockets, mind you makes it difficult for yourself to find where you put stuff (never moans to women anymore about not being able to find stuff in handbags lol). So for example, they would have to lift the lid of the messenger bag, open the zip to the main compartment, find the other compartment, open it's zip, open the pouch, not let me hear the bells. Issue with anything like that one, or even a bag, is the whole thing being grabbed. If you watch the vids on bag stealing some now simply carry a knive, cut the strap off you and grab the bag. I like to split my things I have personally on me, steal away at my wallet you can see, my money was in the front of my pocket etc etc. Basically anytime I'm carrying money it's split across several parts of me and my bag.

Amazon Bells
mutley139 m ago

We have lost faith in safes when we forgot the combination to our safe, …We have lost faith in safes when we forgot the combination to our safe, which we had bought from argos and is similar to the one in the attached video.I tried to use the key that came with the safe instead but it did not work and the safe would not open. so i googled how to open a safe and came across this video. i did not think it would work but thought there was no harm in trying it out. i got a potato and got the safe opened with the potato by doing what they did in the video. i was completely shocked how easy it was to open the safe, but was so glad that it did as i had stashed cash, expensive jewellery and all important documents and passports in there and it would have been a disaster if it did not open. we would have had to employ a locksmith to crack it open.needless to say, we threw the safe down the tip the same week as it dawned on us how vulnerable we were having all our valuables in a safe like that, which anyone could open if they googled![Video]

If you looking at safes for the house the best to buy are gun safes. They will all come with the proper fitting kits to be secured to an exterior wall, off course all well certified and most require two keys to be opened (keys are different to each other).
The Pacsafe works really well, I thought, having used it travelling around homestay style of places across Cuba etc. Felt it was a bit over the top, being fairly heavy but certainly made us feel our cash etc was secure. It's easy to anchor to furniture (not just slipped under a chair leg, of course!) or to fittings and won't be cut. A neck pouch type of thing is great for things you want to have on you, and zip money belts also work, if a bit fiddly. Anyone who's absolutely determined to rob you will have a good go, but most risks are opportunist, so if you can make it awkward for them, all to the good. Try not to be paranoid about it, just sensible - it's all you can do!
cecilmcroberts4 h, 36 m ago

If you looking at safes for the house the best to buy are gun safes. They …If you looking at safes for the house the best to buy are gun safes. They will all come with the proper fitting kits to be secured to an exterior wall, off course all well certified and most require two keys to be opened (keys are different to each other).

i decided after that incident that it is not a great idea to have a safe in the house as anyone seeing it will realise that is where all the goodies are, no need to look any where else. now i just hide stuff, much better as no one will find it, including us as we forget where we have hidden things.

i nearly had a heart attack the other day when i couldn't find my diamond earrings, as i could swear i put it away but it was not there when i looked. apparently i had decided to move it to somewhere else but forgot that i did so! it was such a relief when i found it. my heart was in my mouth
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants