Traveling abroad in August

Posted 10th Jul 2020
We're in a position just like many others where we booked our holiday late last year for August this year (next month)

As far as I know the holiday is going ahead at this stage. We have a day left to decide if we want cancel and lose our deposit or continue. As you can imagine the worry is over Covid-19.

I won't mention the country just yet in case that adds any worries to anyone reading this thread but can mention of required.

There doesn't seem to be a concrete answer in whether we should go or not. For example some family members say just go as there would be protection abroad and self hygiene is important, in addition anyone can contract the virus in UK.

Other family members suggest to lose the deposit and cancel and to attempt to wait for a vaccine before booking again.

Government have not cancelled anything or suggested anything other than filling in a form before departing etc but what are everyone's thoughts are you going abroad or cancelling and losing your deposit?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
This is way too subjective. You’re going to receive so many different responses, from no concerns to a complete no go and everything in between. It is an absolute personal choice and your feelings towards the virus
For what it’s worth , and to offer a reply. I would go.
I'm still going on holiday in september, the government have lifted the restrictions. I will just be mindful to stay away from people outside of my family. However this won't be difficult as I cannot stand people anyway 😜
55 Comments
Hello! There are so few people on holiday where we go in Spain right now its more congested in my office!

If you have a pre exisitng condition that would mean Covid could be life threating, be senseble and dont risk it.

Otherwise, go and enjoy it, you might to be able to afford it next year!
This is way too subjective. You’re going to receive so many different responses, from no concerns to a complete no go and everything in between. It is an absolute personal choice and your feelings towards the virus
For what it’s worth , and to offer a reply. I would go.
Don’t you think it depends on which country and area you are off to but have refused to mention it.
Is it America, India or Australia which are worst ones etc . Or is it the ones in low rates possibly like UK cities are now.

Go if you wish, it’s your choice but do avoid public transport and big markets. Again I’m just imagining where your going
I'm still going on holiday in september, the government have lifted the restrictions. I will just be mindful to stay away from people outside of my family. However this won't be difficult as I cannot stand people anyway 😜
A perfect example of a Risk vs Reward question.

If you’re going to France or you loose £200 id still go as its easy to get home from if it all kicks off again.

If you’re going to the US or you’ll loose a £1k deposit i wouldn’t go as they are being hit hard and it might be harder to leave in the event if issues escalating.

Bit difficult to help further without destination and cost of deposit loss.
I didn't mention the country for the reason listed above. For completeness it's Greece (Zante).

I know there will be different responses and it's a personal choice but trying to get different views as I think we should go Mrs thinks we shouldn't .....

Deposit is £350 as they won't refund insurance under no circumstances as it started on the day we booked the holiday.
Edited by: "jamiepattison" 10th Jul
jamiepattison10/07/2020 09:33

I didn't mention the country for the reason listed above. For completeness …I didn't mention the country for the reason listed above. For completeness it's Greece (Zante).I know there will be different responses and it's a personal choice but trying to get different views as I think we should go Mrs thinks we shouldn't .....Deposit is £350 as they won't refund insurance under no circumstances as it started on the day we booked the holiday.

In that case i would let the holiday stand and go if the situation is the same or improves. Just be wary of FCO advice about compulsory facemasks etc over there on certain situations and also public transport limits etc.
Pauladin9110/07/2020 09:28

I'm still going on holiday in september, the government have lifted the …I'm still going on holiday in september, the government have lifted the restrictions. I will just be mindful to stay away from people outside of my family. However this won't be difficult as I cannot stand people anyway 😜

"However this won't be difficult as I cannot stand people anyway" - i hear ya, thats why I liked seeing less people during lockdown!
ArcadeAssassin10/07/2020 09:28

A perfect example of a Risk vs Reward question. If you’re going to France o …A perfect example of a Risk vs Reward question. If you’re going to France or you loose £200 id still go as its easy to get home from if it all kicks off again. If you’re going to the US or you’ll loose a £1k deposit i wouldn’t go as they are being hit hard and it might be harder to leave in the event if issues escalating. Bit difficult to help further without destination and cost of deposit loss.

If it all kicks off again? I would say its already kicking off again

news.sky.com/sto…299
I decided to lose the deposit for our holiday on the isle of Wight in a few weeks then go.
I don't trust general public to use their common sense, and less so to care about others.
If it was just a 2 hours drive in the car, we would have gone but no as it's longer drive, ferry etc so more mixing.
I think our health is worth more than a deposit, which was just short of £200.
jamiepattison10/07/2020 09:33

I didn't mention the country for the reason listed above. For completeness …I didn't mention the country for the reason listed above. For completeness it's Greece (Zante).I know there will be different responses and it's a personal choice but trying to get different views as I think we should go Mrs thinks we shouldn't .....Deposit is £350 as they won't refund insurance under no circumstances as it started on the day we booked the holiday.

as others had said, where you are going is absolutely critical to this question as it is all about how much risk you are taking!

i have looked at greece on the worldometer and covid 19 infection there is very minimal, unlike the UK, greece has not been affected severely so far from covid 19

worldometers.info/cor…ce/

bbc.co.uk/new…896

it is also one of the countries exempt from quarantine, so it has already been considered by the UK authority to be safe enough to allow travellers from Greece into the UK without the strict quarantine rules.

taking this into account, i would say the risk is small enough to go on holiday, enjoy yourself while you still can and not lose your deposit

of course, take as much precaution as you can whilst you are on holiday.
Edited by: "mutley1" 10th Jul
Holding out for a vaccine may not be a good idea.
There has not been a successful vaccine developed for either SARS or MERS and COVID-19 is within the same family of virus.

The likelihood of catching it in Greece will be similar to being here, and if you don’t have underlying health conditions the impact will be the same.

Personally I’d go, and just ensure you carry on the personal hygiene standards that we’ve all become used to and maybe wear face masks a bit more widely
I can speak of having been away last weekend (ITALY).

It was an absolute joy, life revolves around being outside there (as it is in Greece) which makes it naturally safer and much quieter than normal.

People also respected mask-wearing FAR MORE than in the UK.

Greece is safer than the UK in a multitude of ways. On the flight everyone wore masks and I had a row to myself.

Don't believe those making it out to be risky. Simply being in the UK carries equivalent risks.
I'll be in Croatia this time next week, I'd be more worried about a trip to asda
I’d go OP, enjoy the sun, Greece is far less hit that the U.K. Enjoy yourself
We are off to Palma Nova On Tuesday, booked it 2 days ago for roughly 25% of the normal July Price. Should be fantastic as only 20 or so hotels open across Palm Nova/Magaluf. Your risk from going to a pub/restaurant is higher than a plane.
This is all just personal opinions, you got of decide if you feel safe, will you enjoy yourself or constantly worry? Is it a lot of money to you? Eg worth risking your health..

I personally wouldn’t go, but I’m not willing to go to the pubs either at the moment...
Azwipe10/07/2020 10:05

We are off to Palma Nova On Tuesday, booked it 2 days ago for roughly 25% …We are off to Palma Nova On Tuesday, booked it 2 days ago for roughly 25% of the normal July Price. Should be fantastic as only 20 or so hotels open across Palm Nova/Magaluf. Your risk from going to a pub/restaurant is higher than a plane.

You probably know already but in public areas its £90 fine for not wearing a mask. Beach and hotel pools exempt.

Have a good one
I would go as Greece have kept cases to a minimal and we still have more cases than them due to local lockdowns again...I’m a big believer in life being short and too make the most of it and aslong as you and your family are extra vigilant while abroad I would still go and have as much as a lovely time as possible with the new normal(y)
AgentDaleCooper10/07/2020 09:42

If it all kicks off again? I would say its already kicking off …If it all kicks off again? I would say its already kicking off againhttps://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-is-not-under-control-and-is-accelerating-as-global-cases-hit-11-8-million-who-warns-12025299

Not in countries that have already had it though. Sadly, it will be third world countries like India/Bangladesh that have poor education let alone social distancing in the slums and shanty towns etc. As these populations are so dense and the population huge, it will spread like wildfire. Then there are countries in South America where the governments are so corrupt that they don’t believe it is true and the people suffer. Then we have the US, which, well, you can judge there.
ArcadeAssassin10/07/2020 11:01

Not in countries that have already had it though. Sadly, it will be third …Not in countries that have already had it though. Sadly, it will be third world countries like India/Bangladesh that have poor education let alone social distancing in the slums and shanty towns etc. As these populations are so dense and the population huge, it will spread like wildfire. Then there are countries in South America where the governments are so corrupt that they don’t believe it is true and the people suffer. Then we have the US, which, well, you can judge there.

I thought parts of Australia were going through it again?
AgentDaleCooper10/07/2020 12:39

I thought parts of Australia were going through it again?

yes, there are local lock down all over the world as this virus has not gone away unfortunately. i think we will be seeing this for some time to come.
We're in the same situation - got a holiday booked in France at the end of August and are wavering. We've paid for everything, but we've got until 4 weeks before we go to cancel and only lose the deposit. I don't think there'll be an issue around Covid as there's no way the governments of either country are going to lock the whole country down again, but we're worried after the latest news report saying that most Europeans don't want any tourists from the UK.

Thankfully, we've got a couple of weeks to decide still, but. suspect we'll end up going although we do have the option to shift it the October half term for about 50 Euros if we don't like the situation
ArcadeAssassin10/07/2020 11:01

Not in countries that have already had it though. Sadly, it will be third …Not in countries that have already had it though. Sadly, it will be third world countries like India/Bangladesh that have poor education let alone social distancing in the slums and shanty towns etc. As these populations are so dense and the population huge, it will spread like wildfire. Then there are countries in South America where the governments are so corrupt that they don’t believe it is true and the people suffer. Then we have the US, which, well, you can judge there.

And the poor countries have got far better compliance with the lockdown and facial coverings. Their death rate is also a lot better than UK given the sheer population size.
Cakeboy7910/07/2020 13:43

We're in the same situation - got a holiday booked in France at the end of …We're in the same situation - got a holiday booked in France at the end of August and are wavering. We've paid for everything, but we've got until 4 weeks before we go to cancel and only lose the deposit. I don't think there'll be an issue around Covid as there's no way the governments of either country are going to lock the whole country down again, but we're worried after the latest news report saying that most Europeans don't want any tourists from the UK. Thankfully, we've got a couple of weeks to decide still, but. suspect we'll end up going although we do have the option to shift it the October half term for about 50 Euros if we don't like the situation

"we're worried after the latest news report saying that most Europeans don't want any tourists from the UK."

That's an absurd generalisation. There are 250m Europeans! They don't think with the same mentality, as one.

I was in Europe last week. Everyone knew I was a tourist from the UK.
The people I met couldn't have been friendlier...
Calaisjar10/07/2020 15:02

"we're worried after the latest news report saying that most Europeans …"we're worried after the latest news report saying that most Europeans don't want any tourists from the UK."That's an absurd generalisation. There are 250m Europeans! They don't think with the same mentality, as one.I was in Europe last week. Everyone knew I was a tourist from the UK.The people I met couldn't have been friendlier...

Are you in Europe this week?
joyf453610/07/2020 15:30

Are you in Europe this week?

Nope, got back Monday. Whole experience was completely mellow and easy.
Calaisjar10/07/2020 15:02

"we're worried after the latest news report saying that most Europeans …"we're worried after the latest news report saying that most Europeans don't want any tourists from the UK."That's an absurd generalisation. There are 250m Europeans! They don't think with the same mentality, as one.I was in Europe last week. Everyone knew I was a tourist from the UK.The people I met couldn't have been friendlier...

That's good to know - I always take articles from the Sun with a pinch of salt anyway.

Thanks a lot
Cakeboy7910/07/2020 15:41

That's good to know - I always take articles from the Sun with a pinch of …That's good to know - I always take articles from the Sun with a pinch of salt anyway.Thanks a lot

The Sun? I think I would believe something coming out of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson mouth than something from the Sun and thats saying a lot
Wouldn't be relying on a vaccine, The risk is likely to be around for a long time yet and like already suggested probably more risk of picking it up at Asda etc.. We can all help each other by keeping our distance and following the guidelines to the best of our ability. I'm going in October half term, I'm not worried about it. More chance of being ran over etc.. life involves risks.
AgentDaleCooper10/07/2020 15:45

The Sun? I think I would believe something coming out of Alexander Boris …The Sun? I think I would believe something coming out of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson mouth than something from the Sun and thats saying a lot

Agreed - I feel I should have mentioned it was my mother-in-law that pointed it out as I have a reputation to maintain
.MUFC.10/07/2020 15:45

Wouldn't be relying on a vaccine, The risk is likely to be around for a …Wouldn't be relying on a vaccine, The risk is likely to be around for a long time yet and like already suggested probably more risk of picking it up at Asda etc.. We can all help each other by keeping our distance and following the guidelines to the best of our ability. I'm going in October half term, I'm not worried about it. More chance of being ran over etc.. life involves risks.

I think im concerned more with picking it up on a plane etc, carrying it (without being aware of it) and transferring to a parent on return.
Calaisjar10/07/2020 15:38

Nope, got back Monday. Whole experience was completely mellow and easy.

Oh right, which continent are you on now?
AgentDaleCooper10/07/2020 15:45

The Sun? I think I would believe something coming out of Alexander Boris …The Sun? I think I would believe something coming out of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson mouth than something from the Sun and thats saying a lot

I wouldn't
joyf453610/07/2020 16:18

Oh right, which continent are you on now?

Brexitannia (we don't want to share the continent with anyone else these days).
AgentDaleCooper10/07/2020 16:16

I think im concerned more with picking it up on a plane etc, carrying it …I think im concerned more with picking it up on a plane etc, carrying it (without being aware of it) and transferring to a parent on return.

Obviously that's a risk you take. Life involves risks, whatever you do don't cross a road you might be ran over.
.MUFC.10/07/2020 16:24

Obviously that's a risk you take. Life involves risks, whatever you do …Obviously that's a risk you take. Life involves risks, whatever you do don't cross a road you might be ran over.

Yeah I agree with that to some degree. But I can see a car, I cant see this
AgentDaleCooper10/07/2020 16:35

Yeah I agree with that to some degree. But I can see a car, I cant see this

True, still more chance of being ran over by something you can see than contracting corona and dying.
AgentDaleCooper10/07/2020 16:16

I think im concerned more with picking it up on a plane etc, carrying it …I think im concerned more with picking it up on a plane etc, carrying it (without being aware of it) and transferring to a parent on return.

i think the most risk for a holiday at the moment is going to be the plane. you are inside for a long period and the air gets circulated around so the virus would be floating around the cabin. if you can, wear a PP3 mask for the flight duration.
Post a comment
@
    Text