Travelling abroad, Malarone (NHS prescription?) and Japanese Encephalitis

6 replies
Found 7th Jun 2010
I am travelling abroad soon to Asia, I received a prescription from the travel nurse for 42 Malarone tablets. I am assuming this is a NHS prescription as I received it from my local GP, is this correct? I ask because the tablets are a lot cheaper if the prescription is an NHS prescription. Also I was told it is too close to me travelling for the 3 dose Japanese Encephalitis vaccine. Does anyone know if there is a one dose vaccine available privately? Thank you, rep will be added.

6 Comments

Don't think this is an NHS prescription. When I got Malarone from my local GP for a trip to South Africa, I had to pay first of all the GP for a 'private presription' some £20 or so (don't remember, was some years ago) and then the Malarone tablets were in the range of £2 a piece at Tesco pharmacy.

Original Poster

I haven't had to pay anything so this as of yet, its been left for a doctor to sign and then I pick it up tomorrow. If it is an NHS prescription the tablets will cost me £7.20 from Boots. If not I'm looking at around £100 :thinking:

beckles88;8780276

I haven't had to pay anything so this as of yet, its been left for a … I haven't had to pay anything so this as of yet, its been left for a doctor to sign and then I pick it up tomorrow. If it is an NHS prescription the tablets will cost me £7.20 from Boots. If not I'm looking at around £100 :thinking:

I'd be surprised if this comes under 'prescription' (given that Malaria is not so widepread in the UK :whistling:), but good luck in any case!

If its not an NHS prescription try an online pharmacy....cheaper

I just got a prescription from my doctor in London and fully expected to have to pay the full price for the Malarone tablets, but they only charged £7.20. Nice surprise!

Do you really need the Japanese Encephalitis jab? i only ask as ive travelled around asia and didnt need it and we stayed in some remote places. Its ment to react very badly for some people and it doesn't always work.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions