Groups

Travelling abroad, where to keep/store money?

Hi,

I will be travelling abroad (marrakech) after a long time. Just wondering where people store money when travelling. I know alot of people use bum bags/fanny packs etc but are there any better or alternative options?

Thanks in advance

39 Comments

yes, use a travel type card, monzo,revolut, metro bank even (just for europe).

carry one card as backup.

Original Poster

jackvdbuk

yes, use a travel type card, monzo,revolut, metro bank even (just for … yes, use a travel type card, monzo,revolut, metro bank even (just for europe).carry one card as backup.

thanks for the reply, ive read on a few places that most transactions in marrakech will be cash based. Though they do have cash machines, most places will only take cash.

Store it in your "Prison Pocket"

I've got a belt strap that goes inside my jeans, so good fam.

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

I've got a belt strap that goes inside my jeans, so good fam.

lol i saw that belt advertised. Its a good idea but access to money will be awkward when shopping or paying at restaurant

DevilsReaper

lol i saw that belt advertised. Its a good idea but access to money will … lol i saw that belt advertised. Its a good idea but access to money will be awkward when shopping or paying at restaurant

You didn't, cos my grandmother built it for me its a pouch that attaches to my belt to be more precise and can fit my phone in too. Rather that than have a concern while walking around.

At evenings though I just took a little money out in my pocket rather than with the pouch

I thought folks took 2 pre paid cards loaded up, with just a small amount of cash to last a day or so... I did once carry 2 wallets. Just incase I got in trouble I could hand over the decoy. Can't be bothered now.. Best place to keep cash... In a zipped pocket that on you or a pocket that has velcro.. Not in a coat or bag..

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

You didn't, cos my grandmother built it for me its a pouch that … You didn't, cos my grandmother built it for me its a pouch that attaches to my belt to be more precise and can fit my phone in too. Rather that than have a concern while walking around.At evenings though I just took a little money out in my pocket rather than with the pouch

lol someone has nicked your grandmas idea. Them belts are all over ebay

I always carry it in 2 places. One in an arm/body strap the other in a wallet connected via a chain to my belt. The wallet carries the less amount just in case I should be held at knife point, its what I would give them something to walk away with. I have however been travelling for 20 years over 45 countries and have never been in such a situation.

I cut a slot dead centre about 3 inches long on the inside of a leather belt (horizontally) I just neatly folded bank notes and slid a few in , bit dodgy the Moroccans demanding cash though because that makes you one very easy target if your robbed by someone with a knife etc , I was thinking of driving a motorhhome to Marrakech a few years ago , kinda got put off now these 3rd world countries just don't have very good police forces mainly

In the safe in the hotel room then if your out and about in an internal zipped or buttoned pocket in shorts/trousers.
    Only take as much walking around much as you need at that time and if you can split it between pockets or locations on yourself.

My folks got robbed in Spain while towing a caravan.. Been well talked about in press. Guess it can happen anywhere so just be careful and avoid the bad spots but that is not an easy thing to do

A relative had their credit card skimmed in Marrakesh a couple of weeks ago. In restaurants, hotels or wherever, don't let the card out of your sight, insist on doing the transaction yourself.

Original Poster

wayners

My folks got robbed in Spain while towing a caravan.. Been well talked … My folks got robbed in Spain while towing a caravan.. Been well talked about in press. Guess it can happen anywhere so just be careful and avoid the bad spots but that is not an easy thing to do

sorry to hear that, hope they caught the culprits

Original Poster

fuiseog

A relative had their credit card skimmed in Marrakesh a couple of weeks … A relative had their credit card skimmed in Marrakesh a couple of weeks ago. In restaurants, hotels or wherever, don't let the card out of your sight, insist on doing the transaction yourself.

where was it skimmed? cash machine?

Original Poster

joedastudd

In the safe in the hotel room then if your out and about in an internal … In the safe in the hotel room then if your out and about in an internal zipped or buttoned pocket in shorts/trousers.Only take as much walking around much as you need at that time and if you can split it between pockets or locations on yourself.

No safe in the hotel unfortunately

DevilsReaper

where was it skimmed? cash machine?

I'm not sure, haven't got the full story yet.

tomminator

kinda got put off now these 3rd world countries just don't have very … kinda got put off now these 3rd world countries just don't have very good police forces mainly

Thats such a naive statement. The same can apply to Europe and the western world.What about the foreign tourists who get robbed on a daily basis in London.

I always put them in a sock

fuiseog

A relative had their credit card skimmed in Marrakesh a couple of weeks … A relative had their credit card skimmed in Marrakesh a couple of weeks ago. In restaurants, hotels or wherever, don't let the card out of your sight, insist on doing the transaction yourself.

Sorry to hear that. This also applies to any other country, even the UK. Never let your card out off site.

DevilsReaper

No safe in the hotel unfortunately

Not even ones you can use at reception?

If there is no usable safe in the hotel then I would walk away, it's a massive red flag.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying around all the money, passport and travel documents everywhere nor would I feel comfortable leaving them in a room which most of the hotel staff can access without any accountability.

Years ago you could buy a valuables container that has a steel cable that would lock to something solid .It had a 4 digit thumbwheel lock .It was made of strong yellow plastic ,I suppose it could be smashed but it would make some noise doing so. It was a handy device for keeping your money in.

Original Poster

joedastudd

Not even ones you can use at reception?If there is no usable safe in the … Not even ones you can use at reception?If there is no usable safe in the hotel then I would walk away, it's a massive red flag.I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying around all the money, passport and travel documents everywhere nor would I feel comfortable leaving them in a room which most of the hotel staff can access without any accountability.

I know they dont have 1 in the rooms but I will check with reception but not sure if i could trust someone else with my money

Original Poster

ricko

Years ago you could buy a valuables container that has a steel cable that … Years ago you could buy a valuables container that has a steel cable that would lock to something solid .It had a 4 digit thumbwheel lock .It was made of strong yellow plastic ,I suppose it could be smashed but it would make some noise doing so. It was a handy device for keeping your money in.

thats a good idea. I will see if theres something similar i can find

For your other goods have a look at the Pacsafe range on Amazon. I use this, they are expensive but if you travel a lot then its worth it.
    amazon.co.uk/gp/…3_w

DevilsReaper

I know they dont have 1 in the rooms but I will check with reception but … I know they dont have 1 in the rooms but I will check with reception but not sure if i could trust someone else with my money

By at reception I mean that some places have a set of safes (first come first sever basis) near reception which they offer for guests.
    Last time I used one it was a two key system, only the managers had the other key and a CCTV watching the room so there was a lot of accountability.

in your sock

rhinopaul

For your other goods have a look at the Pacsafe range on Amazon. I use … For your other goods have a look at the Pacsafe range on Amazon. I use this, they are expensive but if you travel a lot then its worth it.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005BNANVM/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w

Pacsafe are brilliant. Used one of the travel safes in many places, steel wired and padlocked to something solid. They have a web of metal, sandwiched between layers so they can't be slashed open. Also, I find a simple pouch round the neck, worn inside clothes is pretty good for passport and cash, easy to access. The other suggestion about keeping smaller amounts elsewhere is sensible. Zip pockets are helpful.

Banned

dont buy one from pounds shop! they become loose

Original Poster

aninginaneana

Pacsafe are brilliant. Used one of the travel safes in many places, steel … Pacsafe are brilliant. Used one of the travel safes in many places, steel wired and padlocked to something solid. They have a web of metal, sandwiched between layers so they can't be slashed open. Also, I find a simple pouch round the neck, worn inside clothes is pretty good for passport and cash, easy to access. The other suggestion about keeping smaller amounts elsewhere is sensible. Zip pockets are helpful.

look really good but quite expensive. I hardly ever go on holidays so wont be worth it but im sure it will be useful to alot of people on here

DevilsReaper

thats a good idea. I will see if theres something similar i can find

These are the containers called LockR. I bought 3 at the time as I thought they were a good idea .Just taken a photo of 2 of them to let you see.
    http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Rickardo_21/media/LockR_zps38ehqud2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/Rickardo_21/LockR_zps38ehqud2.jpg[/URL][/img]

Original Poster

ricko

These are the containers called LockR. I bought 3 at the time as I … These are the containers called LockR. I bought 3 at the time as I thought they were a good idea .Just taken a photo of 2 of them to let you see.[/url][/img]

that would be really ideal, thanks for taking the picture. i've tried searching on the net but cant find them anywhere

any idea where I can get one from please?

Banned

2 different pockets x 2 people & the emergency money in the safe in the hotel room

Never in handbags & rucksacks

DevilsReaper

that would be really ideal, thanks for taking the picture. i've tried … that would be really ideal, thanks for taking the picture. i've tried searching on the net but cant find them anywhereany idea where I can get one from please?

These were bought about 20 years ago from Makro .Dont think there available now .I have 3 of them . I can sell you one if you want . I did however carve out a section of plastic at the front of the locks so I could keep 5 or 6 floppy disks in them ..................I kept my account backups on floppy in those days . Nothing wrong with the locks though ,still working fine .I do have the instructions for them ................somewhere ............it tells you how to change the lock combination to suit .
    I would have to create a sale add on here as no sales through PM . Let me know if your interested.

DevilsReaper

that would be really ideal, thanks for taking the picture. i've tried … that would be really ideal, thanks for taking the picture. i've tried searching on the net but cant find them anywhereany idea where I can get one from please?

Something similar.
    amazon.co.uk/Saf…afe

Yeah , that Amazon one's not bad for the price .It looks alot bigger than mine ................will keep a mobile phone ,wallet etc and still has the cable to attach to an an item. I would go for that one DevilsReaper.

Take some cash and get a card you can use abroad. I've been to Marrakech and it's no different to travelling in or around London, yes the markets (souks) are all cash based but most other places that you would expect take card.

Original Poster

ricko

These were bought about 20 years ago from Makro .Dont think there … These were bought about 20 years ago from Makro .Dont think there available now .I have 3 of them . I can sell you one if you want . I did however carve out a section of plastic at the front of the locks so I could keep 5 or 6 floppy disks in them ..................I kept my account backups on floppy in those days . Nothing wrong with the locks though ,still working fine .I do have the instructions for them ................somewhere ............it tells you how to change the lock combination to suit . I would have to create a sale add on here as no sales through PM . Let me know if your interested.

Thanks for the offer but im gonna go for the Amazon one

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Something … Something similar.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safe-Space-travel-lock-safe/dp/B004U9MN9I/ref=sr_1_57?ie=UTF8&qid=1489063713&sr=8-57&keywords=pacsafe

Thanks, will definitely be going for this

Cheap price too compared to ebay
    Edited by: "DevilsReaper" 9th Mar
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force22
      2. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25103
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2252
      4. Fraudulent site2810

See more discussions