Travelling Overseas - Money???

Found 18th Jul
Hi all. My friend is travelling to Southeast Asia in September and also plans to visit Australia and New Zealand. The whole trip will last roughly a year and obviously he will be taking a reasonable sum of money. Does anyone know the best and most feasible way for him to access his money over there? I’ve heard a lot about the Halifax Clarity card - is this all he needs or should he have a pre-paid travel card also?

Thanks in advance!

Alex
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Try revoult prepaid credit card. Exchange rates are really good. Card is free if you top up with £10. Used mine in Portugal recently. revolut.com

There are posts on HUKD about these. It also means you don’t have to put all the money on the card at once but can top it up when you like via the phone app or online. So if it got stolen you don’t lose all your money. Easy to change pin and disable/enable things.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Jul
Revolut seems to have gone downhill - try Fairfx card instead, good rates, NZ had the POS terminals well before the UK, so you can use a credit card anywhere.
Monzo every time works great and never had an issue abroad.
I use Monzo for card purchases abroad, not for withdrawing from an ATM.
Thanks for the replies so far guys. What should I be using day to day? Like for cash withdrawals etc? I have absolutely no idea as it stands. Have just heard the Halifax Clarity is the best - any ideas why?
AlexPetrucci9 m ago

Thanks for the replies so far guys. What should I be using day to day? …Thanks for the replies so far guys. What should I be using day to day? Like for cash withdrawals etc? I have absolutely no idea as it stands. Have just heard the Halifax Clarity is the best - any ideas why?

Probably because it’s backed by a major bank. Try looking at the terms and benefits in Halifax website
AlexPetrucci13 m ago

Thanks for the replies so far guys. What should I be using day to day? …Thanks for the replies so far guys. What should I be using day to day? Like for cash withdrawals etc? I have absolutely no idea as it stands. Have just heard the Halifax Clarity is the best - any ideas why?

Halifax clarity is a credit card so you will a decent rating to get it and hopefully a higher limit in case it's needed.

Monzo and starling offer them same benefits - use it as a debit card and spend abroad with no fees. With these cards you should avoid using cash as much as possible that's the point of them. Monzo limit you to £200 of overseas withdrawals a month starling has no limits (as far as I am aware).

Have a great trip!
It's early days but (3 months use) I've found Starling debit card very good. So far used it for € in Ireland and $ in US - excellent rates, text to confirm each transaction, and very intuitive interface on android phone.
Arsenal123430 m ago

Halifax clarity is a credit card so you will a decent rating to get it and …Halifax clarity is a credit card so you will a decent rating to get it and hopefully a higher limit in case it's needed.Monzo and starling offer them same benefits - use it as a debit card and spend abroad with no fees. With these cards you should avoid using cash as much as possible that's the point of them. Monzo limit you to £200 of overseas withdrawals a month starling has no limits (as far as I am aware). Have a great trip!

Thank you my friend. So in terms of withdrawing cash from atm’s... should I be doing that with the Halifax Clarity and then paying it off immediately? I can imagine that the majority of the time we will need cash as opposed to using cards in places like Vietnam etc
AlexPetrucci24 m ago

Thank you my friend. So in terms of withdrawing cash from atm’s... should I …Thank you my friend. So in terms of withdrawing cash from atm’s... should I be doing that with the Halifax Clarity and then paying it off immediately? I can imagine that the majority of the time we will need cash as opposed to using cards in places like Vietnam etc

You still make atm withdrawals with revolut, starling and monzo. I would take a few cards with you as a back up and should the terms change on any particular card, being as you're going for a year.
I've use the clarity for the last few years: use it to withdraw cash, then pay it off online to avoid charges.

easiest way to do it. might be worthwhile taking a back up pre-loaded card, and stashing it somewhere to tide you over if you lose the halifax CC.
Thank you all massively!!
starlingbank.com
I have this card and Monzo and both are good for purchases and cash withdrawals abroad
I use Halifax clarity when travelling and have gone to similar continents and Europe
Rose51 h, 35 m ago

I use Halifax clarity when travelling and have gone to similar continents …I use Halifax clarity when travelling and have gone to similar continents and Europe

Thank you. Do you just use the Halifax Clarity? For purchases, cash withdrawals etc? If so how exactly is the best way to go about it? Thank you in advance!
I've used my Clarity all over the world no problems, including a few months in NZ/Aus. Worked great. I just cleared the balance weekly.
Thank you all for your help and comments. To assist anyone else who may look at this in the future - I have now clarified exactly what the Halifax Clarity card is capable of. There are no costs involved AT ALL to withdraw cash from an atm, as long as the balance is paid that day. I haven’t found any other cards where this is possible. With WiFi being in most hostels and bars etc, a quick bank transfer will be available on a daily basis! By far the best on the market and if you already have a Halifax credit card, you can apply for the Clarity and then also transfer your existing card to a Clarity also, bonus! 2 cards, 2 accounts. Should you lose one. Thanks again all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions