Expired

Travelling to Amsterdam 1st Time? BEST Museum & Tourist Pass?

Found 3rd Aug
Hi There, I am hoping someone can help, I have booked a very last minute holiday to Amsterdam and I'm far from prepared, I have just a few days to organize and get everything sorted, insurance etc and I have barely begun.

I have been looking after website after website of BEST way to see Amsterdam and sights to visits but most importantly what card to purchase.

There are 3 options.. 3004163-bkqgr.jpg

Holland Pass
I Amsterdam City Card
MuseumKaart (Dutch Residents Only Card) which tourists are welcome to buy can ONLY be used for 35 days instead of 1 year which dutch residents get.

Do we have any travelers on this site who can give me some advice, have you purchased any of these cards and what was your experience like... did you save money?

Also not related to museums & attractions, is it true Amsterdam as an issue with Mosquitoes? I have purchased some Jungle Formula, but I certainly have no time to get any up-to date vaccinations so I am taking a chance, is it a problem in the day or mainly just at night?

I am far from the city around 50 minutes in a residential area, I should be fine and my host as told me what I need travel card wise so that's sorted.

Any TIPS on the BEST card to purchase? and one final questions I am budget traveler and would like to know if it is better to take cash or pay on credit or debit cards?

To conclude I have sadly made a HUGE mistake in booking this holiday, the prices are going up and up with additional extras and today I almost gave it all up and was willing to lose £400 so far... which I have no chance of been refunded, it would be nice if my holiday mistake could actually turn into a nice holiday for me, so any tips on best ways to see Amsterdam by these cards would be useful, thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Have only been to Amsterdam on Business for 1 night so can’t comment on your other questions too much.

Mostquitos in Europe are pretty low risk so having some repellant should be enough.

Get yourself a Revolut card if you have time (probably not if it’s last minute) It’s a prepaid credit card that you can top up in pounds and then spend in any currency with a good exchange rate and no other charges. Failing that take some cash but don’t buy it at the airport as you’ll get very bad rates.
Rest assured, you will not get malaria in amsterdam. It's lovely city and quite walkable. It obviously has the added advantage of being flat. I was only there for 36 hours last time so I really can't comment on museum entry etc. We stayed just opposite the rijksmuseum but sadly it was closed for renovation at the time. The queues outside ann Frank's house build up early so be aware. If you like the eclectic and you like cats, de poezenboot has to be the world's most interesting cat rescue. Boat trips are easy to come by, but Amsterdam is a city which lends itself to the traveller who just likes to wander. Enjoy it.
I would check the Amsterdam tripdvisor forum here
There is no best card. It really depends on which activities/attractions you want to visit and how long your holiday is.
Add up the costs of what you want to do and you compare that to the available cards, what they cover and their cost.
psychobitchfromhell6 h, 22 m ago

https://www.amsterdamtourist.info/50-free-things-to-do-amsterdam/Some free …https://www.amsterdamtourist.info/50-free-things-to-do-amsterdam/Some free stuff

Damn, I'll have to go back now and visit these places.

Free walking tour though? They always ask for a donation at the end of their tours, so not really free. The most most people appear to give is €10, approximately £8. You can give as little as €5 if you're feeling a bit tight though, though you're not obliged to give anything if you don't want to, if you're really tight for cash.

The donations appeared to be how they fund their walking tours. Tours like these have been criticised recently too for not stating this though usually they are quite good. I've not been on one that hasn't been interesting. And passes the time if you haven't got anything else to do to fill the rest of your day.

There's also a few windmills dotted around Amsterdam if that's your thing though you may want to ask which ones are worth visiting as some you can't actually enter. Most appear to be a short bus journey away from Amsterdam, between 15 minutes and half an hour at the most.

OP, if you're looking for insurance check moneysavingexpert.com. I managed to buy annual insurance for £8 (Europe including Spain) from holidaysafe. I bought it over the phone as I was travelling the following day. Quick and easy too.
Amsterdam not a budget city, I wouldn’t want to try on a budget it will spoil or hinder what you want to do. In Amsterdam I walk most places as taxi can be expensive compared to home, but we always stay bang in the centre. I do go to Rotterdam quite a bit but I just book train tickets out of machine at station. There are buses a bit cheaper as well but the trains are always promt. Go to the station and speak to someone there they will help you. They all speak English as well. In Rotterdam they have Uber as well.
You don’t need to plan a trip. Just go with the flow while your there. A good tip is to look on trip adviser for top attractions. Then work out which you want to and can afford to visit. Amsterdam is a city that you can just walk round and browse. It’s a lovely city. If you have time take the train to a place called Zaanse Schans it’s not far from the city and only a few euros on the train. I don’t how booking any holiday can be a mistake
Edited by: "Wadda" 4th Aug
Wadda4th Aug

You don’t need to plan a trip. Just go with the flow while your there. A g …You don’t need to plan a trip. Just go with the flow while your there. A good tip is to look on trip adviser for top attractions. Then work out which you want to and can afford to visit. Amsterdam is a city that you can just walk round and browse. It’s a lovely city. If you have time take the train to a place called Zaanse Schans it’s not far from the city and only a few euros on the train. I don’t how booking any holiday can be a mistake

Yeah, that's one of the places I was thinking of that I visited while over in the Netherlands, I couldn't remember the name, Zaanse Shans. There's also an exhibition there (free to enter) on how they make clogs, the modern way though. Still, very interesting.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 5th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants