Groups

Travelling to Derby -weather an issue

Travelling from Preston to Derby tomorrow. Any issues with snow etc? What's the best way to go ?? Thanks

13 Comments

Nothing in the East Midlands. Not sure about in between though.

thats a bitch of a journey....

Theres only 2 real options, M6 - A50 or M6 - M62 - M1, the latter being longer but arguably easier because its motorway all the way, I went over the pennines this morning no problems with snow.

Banned

No snow in east mids. I'd prob go A50 but not sure why... A50 is pretty quiet most of the time, but work out where you'll be at rush hour, and choose the route which will mean you're at a quiet bit!

Banned

the best way to go is by sleigh

Original Poster

I'm leaving home at 8 ish. Was thinking of the A50.. but the M1 may be better.. still undecided.

Banned

No snow but very cold. I wouldn't bother.

No snow at all in Derby, it's bypassed us completely. A50 fine

Next snow forecast for wednesday and thursday - only light snow though

Banned

No more snow here please (Oxford) or Bournemouth supposed to be taking my Grandparents to a show.

Used to do this journey plenty when at uni in preston -

M6 - M61 - M60 - BUXTON, ASHBOURNE DERBY

Arguably the best route - less hectic than the main M routes. However not sure of snow through the peaks. Failing that M6 - A50: A50 is dead most the time.

Failing that there is always the train,

Preston - Crewe, Crewe - Derby

Edited by: "selbjx" 20th Dec 2010

Husband went to Whaley Bridge yesterday via Ashbourne and Buxton. All roads were fine

M6 to J15 then A50 across to Derby. M6 can be a beatch but A50 is usually pretty clear and quick.

Snowing very lightly in Leicestershire as of now, but I do mean very lightly.
    Edited by: "stewby" 20th Dec 2010

Original Poster

I decided to do M62 -> M1 going and A50 -> M6 back.
    No problems either way !!

Thanks for all you advise.

Your welcome........ that'll be 20 quid please.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866384
      2. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1630
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would28104
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1116

See more discussions