Travelodge Overbooking How to not be "that guy"

Found 30th May 2016
Hello I'm a current Travelodge Employee and I figured i'd share some knowledge on how to not get out booked in the event of travelodge overbooking.

First of all Travelodge doesn't overbook everyday of the week but it normally does on weekends/bank holidays.
If you're in a disabled room or you are a women traveling alone you should never be out booked.
The first way to get your room is phone up at 15:00 and ask the hotel receptionist to check you in, this is the best way to guarantee a room.

If for whatever reason you don't do this and you get a call from the hotel casually asking you what time you'll be arriving, give them a time that is not late at night, then ask to be checked in.

If for some reason you get a call despite all of this telling you that "unfortunately one of the hotels rooms has gone out of service due to a health and safety reason" unlucky you have become 'that guy' but all is not lost they are going to now transfer you to another hotel they will try and get you to go to the new hotel as opposed to the one you paid for to avoid confrontation, but if its going to be an extra expense getting there for you go to the original hotel and demand a taxi you will get one.

once you arrive at your new hotel put your game face on and tell them how unacceptable it is that you have been moved and you'll get a 100% evoucher of the nights stay.

Still not happy with that? go to your room, then come back downstairs and say there is lots of hair in the bath plug and its absolutely disgusting, you should now get offered a full refund and probably breakfast if you didn't pay for it.

OH and don't forget to demand a taxi back to the other hotel first thing in the morning if that's where you want to go.

And that's how to hopefully not get outbooked and if you do make it worth your while.

PEACE AND LOVE EVERYONE
Community Updates
29 Comments
Great advice any other tips
Yeah great advice thanks
But do you actually work for a rival or have they just peased you off too many times you feel like bankrupting them and at the same time making yourself redundant?
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 30th May 2016
Alternatively choose a hotel group that doesn't **** you about.
when I as checking out few weeks ago. sadly there was a woman who was getting kicked out. She wanted to stay
extra nights but they wouldn't let her saying it was overbooked. Never knew how popular this rooms were but this was during bank holiday. Thanks for the tips.
Great fun booking a few nights away and playing travelodge lottery, book some where else that value you as a customer rather than £19 a night.

Great fun booking a few nights away and playing travelodge lottery, book … Great fun booking a few nights away and playing travelodge lottery, book some where else that value you as a customer rather than £19 a night.

The Holiday Inn also overbook but I tell you what's worse (Or good for me!) - They will move someone else to a different hotel if I give them 72 hours notice as I have their top tiered membership card. So I can never be told they are full, they just turn somebody else away to a different hotel when they and I turn up a couple of days later

Edited by: "Firefly1" 30th May 2016
Somebody else has to pay for all this.

Somebody else has to pay for all this.

Yes, the company, which is how it should be for having very questionable business practices

Never realised they overbooked so now know never to book with travel Lodge so thanks op.

Edited by: "chocci" 30th May 2016
Good tips, will keep in mind. Cheers.
I'm shocked at this post from a Travelodge Employee.
Original Poster
The only reason I've posted this is because not only are paying customers victim to this practise but also the staff.
For a company to subject their staff to a torrent of abuse from paying customers in hope of squeezing and extra £50 out of the public.

It's unacceptable and it's a shocking practice and quite frankly it needs exposing.
Your fate is sealed mate
So even though you have booked, they can still claim overbooked and chuck you out? I thought booked meant booked.

So even though you have booked, they can still claim overbooked and chuck … So even though you have booked, they can still claim overbooked and chuck you out? I thought booked meant booked.

Certainly for Holiday Inn, albeit they provide "alternative accommodation".
hi op sometimes when I stay at hotels, I fancy one of the staff any tips on how to get a bunk up?
You Sir Are The Real MVP!
Booked a room next to a fancy ball in a few weeks that seemed too cheap to be true (£28 rather than the £100+ the other hotels nearby were charging because of this dinner) - I now know to get there early and dump bags - Thanks OP!
Cool thanks.
Booked into the London Docklands in august so will keep it in mind
Op
Why not make a new thread on hotel tips?

Also answer my question above
So if I phone up and check myself in over the phone, they can't then take the room away from me?
Cheers for the tips buddy.
Original Poster

So if I phone up and check myself in over the phone, they can't then take … So if I phone up and check myself in over the phone, they can't then take the room away from me?

Providing the receptionist actually does it (they should) you went get your room taken.

Providing the receptionist actually does it (they should) you went get … Providing the receptionist actually does it (they should) you went get your room taken.

ahum!
I can never get the discount codes to work with Travelodge.
Original Poster
As a note i'm working for travelodge again, and if you have a room booked for christmas day, get their early because my hotel atleast is over booked
Fatesealed

As a note i'm working for travelodge again, and if you have a room booked … As a note i'm working for travelodge again, and if you have a room booked for christmas day, get their early because my hotel atleast is over booked

Just out of interest what happens to the people who turn up and the hotel is full is it travelodges responsibilty to find suitable accommodation which will be fun on that day any other interesting information appreciated
Original Poster
archer1204

Just out of interest what happens to the people who turn up and the hotel … Just out of interest what happens to the people who turn up and the hotel is full is it travelodges responsibilty to find suitable accommodation which will be fun on that day any other interesting information appreciated

What we try to do is when we are overbooked we call people that are due to arrive and ask them if they would mind switching to another travelodge 99% of the time people say no, so then what happens is we pick the easiest person to move, we are encouraged not to move family's or lone women, so we find a guy call him up and tell him there is no room and we have booked him into another travelodge,
Original Poster
miles136

hi op sometimes when I stay at hotels, I fancy one of the staff any tips … hi op sometimes when I stay at hotels, I fancy one of the staff any tips on how to get a bunk up?

Best bet is be smooth talking, bring food because we are always hungry, and come down and chat instead of staying in your room we are bored 90% of the time
Fatesealed

Best bet is be smooth talking, bring food because we are always hungry, … Best bet is be smooth talking, bring food because we are always hungry, and come down and chat instead of staying in your room we are bored 90% of the time

pmsl, 6 months wait!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants