Treadmill advice :)

Found 31st Dec 2017
Hi all,

As it's the end of the year and my waist line has doubled, I'm looking at treadmills. I'm after a vertical folding one with auto incline. My budget is £300 and I'm just overwhelmed with the variety of treadmills when online shopping.

Had anyone got any recommendations?

Happy new year
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I would recommend getting into fast walking or jogging around the block.

I've had all the sports equipment and it's easier to ignore them when indoors.

If you can get into a routine of going out for 20mins doing a jog or a fast walk it's a start to prove you can keep with it.

Like most people, they buy these exercise equipment and then put them in a spare room.
Edited by: "kos1c" 31st Dec 2017
9 Comments
I would recommend getting into fast walking or jogging around the block.

I've had all the sports equipment and it's easier to ignore them when indoors.

If you can get into a routine of going out for 20mins doing a jog or a fast walk it's a start to prove you can keep with it.

Like most people, they buy these exercise equipment and then put them in a spare room.
Edited by: "kos1c" 31st Dec 2017
When I started running I thought that I’d never be happy running unless on a treadmill (people watching me if I was outside, being able to watch tv and not get bored)...to be honest though, after a while I started jogging outdoors and rarely used the treadmill after that - going outside is amazing - I never get bored and no one gives me a second glance
Don't bother would be my advice. Only end up drying washing on it. Really is the wrong time of year to be thinking about it. I'm dreading my local swimming pool with the new year fat busters crowding the lanes. Most won't be seen after January as lost interest. Also I can swim a mile and burn about 350 calories. If I come home and eat a chocolate bar all that effort was wasted. Exercise won't do nothing for your waste. Eat better and find some exercise that you enjoy. Walking clubs. Swimming. Walking in general. Bike about. If you must buy machine loads of second hand about. My parents bought a £400 machine and sold on ebay for £70. Hardly used it..
I wouldn't buy one at that price. Reebok GT40S at £400 should be the minimum you want to aim for really. 2hp motor 16km/h speed. I would consider getting a bike at that amount. Treadmills weigh a massive amount and have quite a short life expectancy.
I'd save my money and join a gym with no joining/cancellation/min term fee etc. if you got a pure gym near you I'd recommend that. £22 a month roughly and they got better equipment than the home gym market, and you can ask other gym members for advice if you're unsure of anything on a piece of equipment
Edited by: "discozohan" 31st Dec 2017
Buy a skipping rope as it gives all the benefits of running but doesn't trash your joints. You want to be looking at high intensity moderate impact workouts. You need moderate impact exercise to keep bone density up and swimming doesn't give you that.
Edited by: "kester76" 31st Dec 2017
treadmills cost a lot of money if you want a decent one. we have one that they use in the gyms and it costs nearly £2k brand new but my husband got a reconditioned one for around £1,000.

i would advise that you join a gym where there are professional machines that you can use and classes that you can join rather than buy a cheap treadmill.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Taken on board the advice. Going to get my bike serviced instead and get outdoors x
bluetulip21 m ago

Thanks everyone. Taken on board the advice. Going to get my bike serviced …Thanks everyone. Taken on board the advice. Going to get my bike serviced instead and get outdoors x

For me cycling is my favourite way to keep active and favourite form of exercise. There is no feeling like that feeling of the wind running through your hair and brushing past your face. We go to cycling areas where i get to cycle in beautiful countryside. Absolutely superb

I never use the treadmill at home, only my husband does, as i find it too boring and running is not my preferred form of exercise. We also have a professional exercise bike at home, which i use whilst listening to music when i cant go out cycling. It is a great bike but it is still so boring as it is indoors, even with my music to help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions