Treated differently when not wearing make up ?

Found 26th Feb
Ok so this is mainly for the ladies.

Do you feel you are treated differently when you are not wearing make up in like shops or wherever you go ?

Like not taken seriously or feel like they talk down at you ? Especially in make up store ?

Just want to get some opinon.

I know it can be on both sides but lets just focus on not wearing makeup and how you're bing treated.
Community Updates
AskHealth & Beauty
Top comments
I don’t wear makeup (only on special occasions). I’ve never been interested in it and feel sorry for many of my friends who would never ever dream of leaving the house without makeup on.
It’s such a shame that society is becoming more and more shallow in judging others by the way they look. Take Tinder for example, everyone is judged and approved or discarded in a split second.
The advertising and media agencies have a lot to answer for and personally I think less is more and nothing looks worse than someone heavily made up where you can see they’ve used a trowel to put foundation on and a paintbrush for mascara but each to their own and if makeup gives people confidence then crack on.
mutley126th Feb

... Men don't have the privilege of wearing make up to make themselves …... Men don't have the privilege of wearing make up to make themselves look better...

Nonsense.
mutley122 m ago

I am not sure what you are trying to get at OP with your question. Are …I am not sure what you are trying to get at OP with your question. Are you trying to work out if you should stop wearing make up but are concerned that you would be treated differently if you did not wear make up?I think women look nice with make up, if they don't over do it. Men don't have the privilege of wearing make up to make themselves look better but women do, so they should make the most of it. Women wear make up to make themselves look nicer, like wearing nice clothes for example.I don't wear make up myself, except lipstick, because I already look nice without make up, so I don't need make up to make me look any better but if i thought that I needed to wear make up, I would not hesitate to do so if it doesn't cause issues with my sensitive skin.I do look very young and not wearing make up doesn't help so in that sense, I found people did not respect me when I was younger as I looked too young to be taken seriously when I am around other people.

You already look nice without makeup?

Troll off mutley,. Over the last year you have become tedious in the extreme. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
Mind you, I don't suppose it's quite as ridiculous as 'I look angelic', another of your recent classics.
Go on mutters, report me. I could do with a couple of days rest.
Edited by: "deeky" 26th Feb
mutley152 m ago

when I am supposed to be giving financial advice to senior executives and …when I am supposed to be giving financial advice to senior executives and managers as I worked as a consultant.

33335299-TBhBO.jpg
34 Comments
Does makeup make you feel more confident and more social? I guess how you feel and act can have an effect on how people treat you. I don't know why I'm posting in here but it's interesting.
Edited by: "rev6" 26th Feb
rev62 m ago

Does makeup make you feel more confident and more social? I guess how you …Does makeup make you feel more confident and more social? I guess how you feel and act can have an effect on how people treat you. I don't know why I'm posting in here but it's interesting.

I feel confident without make up but I think I just look younger without it. So maybe that the reason why but wanted to know how others feel as well
I don’t wear makeup (only on special occasions). I’ve never been interested in it and feel sorry for many of my friends who would never ever dream of leaving the house without makeup on.
It’s such a shame that society is becoming more and more shallow in judging others by the way they look. Take Tinder for example, everyone is judged and approved or discarded in a split second.
The advertising and media agencies have a lot to answer for and personally I think less is more and nothing looks worse than someone heavily made up where you can see they’ve used a trowel to put foundation on and a paintbrush for mascara but each to their own and if makeup gives people confidence then crack on.
Toptrumpet5 m ago

I don’t wear makeup (only on special occasions). I’ve never been int …I don’t wear makeup (only on special occasions). I’ve never been interested in it and feel sorry for many of my friends who would never ever dream of leaving the house without makeup on. It’s such a shame that society is becoming more and more shallow in judging others by the way they look. Take Tinder for example, everyone is judged and approved or discarded in a split second. The advertising and media agencies have a lot to answer for and personally I think less is more and nothing looks worse than someone heavily made up where you can see they’ve used a trowel to put foundation on and a paintbrush for mascara but each to their own and if makeup gives people confidence then crack on.

I dont wear foundation at all just mascara, eyelines, concelar and then on special occasion highlighter and bronzer/contour. Its just that sometime I cant be ask to remover my make up after a long day so just to make it easier I try to not wear it at work but then I feel I just look tired. Also when going to shops and stuff I feel like im judge on the bases that I dont wear make up. Sometime people assume I look younger because I dont have any make up on. But really waking up early to do your make up ?? Nahh I prefer my extra hour of sleep On the weekend, I dont really mind wearing it, I just practice different looks.
I am not sure what you are trying to get at OP with your question. Are you trying to work out if you should stop wearing make up but are concerned that you would be treated differently if you did not wear make up?

I think women look nice with make up, if they don't over do it. Men don't have the privilege of wearing make up to make themselves look better but women do, so they should make the most of it. Women wear make up to make themselves look nicer, like wearing nice clothes for example.

I don't wear make up myself, except lipstick, because I already look nice without make up, so I don't need make up to make me look any better but if i thought that I needed to wear make up, I would not hesitate to do so if it doesn't cause issues with my sensitive skin.

I do look very young and not wearing make up doesn't help so in that sense, I found people did not respect me when I was younger as I looked too young to be taken seriously when I am around other people.
If I started to wear makeup I think my husband would be very suspicious of my motive.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 26th Feb
mutley126th Feb

... Men don't have the privilege of wearing make up to make themselves …... Men don't have the privilege of wearing make up to make themselves look better...

Nonsense.
Toptrumpet9 m ago

If I started to wear makeup I think my husband would be very suspicious of …If I started to wear makeup I think my husband would be very suspicious of my motif.

my husband is always suspicious of my activities so i don't have this problem. lol
mutley122 m ago

I am not sure what you are trying to get at OP with your question. Are …I am not sure what you are trying to get at OP with your question. Are you trying to work out if you should stop wearing make up but are concerned that you would be treated differently if you did not wear make up?I think women look nice with make up, if they don't over do it. Men don't have the privilege of wearing make up to make themselves look better but women do, so they should make the most of it. Women wear make up to make themselves look nicer, like wearing nice clothes for example.I don't wear make up myself, except lipstick, because I already look nice without make up, so I don't need make up to make me look any better but if i thought that I needed to wear make up, I would not hesitate to do so if it doesn't cause issues with my sensitive skin.I do look very young and not wearing make up doesn't help so in that sense, I found people did not respect me when I was younger as I looked too young to be taken seriously when I am around other people.

You already look nice without makeup?

Troll off mutley,. Over the last year you have become tedious in the extreme. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
Mind you, I don't suppose it's quite as ridiculous as 'I look angelic', another of your recent classics.
Go on mutters, report me. I could do with a couple of days rest.
Edited by: "deeky" 26th Feb
mutley120 m ago

Its just a general question. I just wonder if people have experienced being treated differently by other people when they wear makeup and when they dont wear it. I mean each to their own everyone can wear make up, but that not the question.
Ana103 m ago

Its just a general question. I just wonder if people have experienced …Its just a general question. I just wonder if people have experienced being treated differently by other people when they wear makeup and when they dont wear it. I mean each to their own everyone can wear make up, but that not the question.

He doesn't need to answer the question. He just needs an excuse to talk about himself.
I don't know because I never wear any and makeup makes skin age faster.

I see a lot of women my age (31) with wrinkles already and I don't have a single one and often get asked for ID if I buy alcohol for my partner
From a mans' perspective I think make up can make a women look more attactive and as such be treated with a little more attention. You may feel this is a good thing or a bad thing! However for some reason there are an awful lot of ladies out there who seem to think that shades of orange and dark brown ie looks like a fake tan then apply other colours on top with a trowel is a good look apparently! I just think more money than sense and how awful it looks.
But what happens the following morning... you go to bed with one woman and wake up with a completely different looking one once she takes her makeup off. Surely that’s false representation?
And that’s the problem celebs have and why they don’t like being papped looking aux natural.
Ana1032 m ago

Its just a general question. I just wonder if people have experienced …Its just a general question. I just wonder if people have experienced being treated differently by other people when they wear makeup and when they dont wear it. I mean each to their own everyone can wear make up, but that not the question.

Because I look so young, I had to make an effort to look older when I was younger as I would look like a teenager when I am supposed to be giving financial advice to senior executives and managers as I worked as a consultant. It was difficult to get them to take me seriously when I look 15!

What clothes I wear helped and certainly make up would have helped but I didn't want to spoil my natural look with make up and also it takes so much time to apply make up and I don't have a lot of patience.

I doubt anyone would be treated differently if they did or did not wear make up. It is just that make up can make someone look older or more attractive so that would be where they may be treated differently as people do act differently towards other people if they were older or look attractive.
I once dressed up as esdward scissor hands for Halloween (not a sexy version) and got chatted up, I have been chatted up randomly when out and not wearing make up (I rarely do because I just don’t have the time/patience) I don’t think make up makes a huge difference in that respect.

i don’t think shop assistants etc really care what the customers look like, they hate everyone equally......
Edited by: "farmlama" 26th Feb
mutley152 m ago

when I am supposed to be giving financial advice to senior executives and …when I am supposed to be giving financial advice to senior executives and managers as I worked as a consultant.

33335299-TBhBO.jpg
Ana102 h, 56 m ago

I feel confident without make up but I think I just look younger without …I feel confident without make up but I think I just look younger without it. So maybe that the reason why but wanted to know how others feel as well

I appreciate that some feel more confident when wearing make-up but, if you feel confident without it, why did you start wearing it initially?

Also, I don't treat anybody differently if they are wearing make-up, or not.

It's none of my business, & it shouldn't be anybody else's (other than the individual that applies it).
mutley12 h, 4 m ago

33335431-eGTFW.jpg

mutley12 h, 31 m ago

I don't wear make up myself, except lipstick..

Some of your comments are cringeworthy.
I think it's pretty well documented that women are treated differently when makeup vs no makeup.

I wonder if it's similar for men that are clean shaved vs stubble!
From a man's perspective women without makeup look like men. Gross and stand out like a sore thumb and tbf if people are honest you don't give as much attention to an ugly woman right or wrong.
mutley11 h, 42 m ago

...and certainly make up would have helped .... I doubt anyone would be …...and certainly make up would have helped .... I doubt anyone would be treated differently if they did or did not wear make up.

Example ^^

So would makeup see you treated differently or not...
Edited by: "andynicol" 26th Feb
benrobertsno141 m ago

From a man's perspective women without makeup look like men. Gross and …From a man's perspective women without makeup look like men. Gross and stand out like a sore thumb and tbf if people are honest you don't give as much attention to an ugly woman right or wrong.

So a woman without makeup is automatically ugly?? Women without makeup look like men?? That's a ridiculous statement.

British women wear far too much makeup since they're teenagers and end up looking older than they are once they are in their 30s... That's something I heard from men themselves who are not British and not used to women in their countries wearing all that makeup (and no, not talking about Arabs but men from other western countries)

If a woman is attractive she is without makeup too... if you need makeup to look nice you're not naturally good-looking. Plenty of women who are pretty with or without it.

Makeup that's not too heavy just enhances natural beauty.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th Feb
I think women look much better without lots of make up.
I really hate the shaved eyebrows then draw them back on look.
I really really hate fake tan.

Best look is the natural look in my books. No need for lots of makeup, you just look like your wearing lots of makeup.
nothing worse then meeting up with a female friend and giving her a friendly hello hug and then realising she left half of her face on your shirt.

from my point of view being a man I think loads of makeup is just about as disgusting as loads of fake tan but if I am honest I do prefer to talk to women who have taken the time to look after themselves then just the rolled out of bed look.
hearts2218 h, 24 m ago

So a woman without makeup is automatically ugly?? Women without makeup …So a woman without makeup is automatically ugly?? Women without makeup look like men?? That's a ridiculous statement.British women wear far too much makeup since they're teenagers and end up looking older than they are once they are in their 30s... That's something I heard from men themselves who are not British and not used to women in their countries wearing all that makeup (and no, not talking about Arabs but men from other western countries)If a woman is attractive she is without makeup too... if you need makeup to look nice you're not naturally good-looking. Plenty of women who are pretty with or without it. Makeup that's not too heavy just enhances natural beauty.

Yes a woman without makeup is automatically ugly, bar a few exceptions. Natural beauty is very rare and besides whether or not you agree from a man's perspective it is true.
I agree that the 'geordie shore' look is also awful with the tangerine skin and thick caterpillar brows.
Not many women you see in day to day can effectively put on make up, they either don't bother and look like a minger or look like a drag queen when they apply it, as in a man's version of what he thinks a woman's makeup looks like.
benrobertsno132 m ago

Yes a woman without makeup is automatically ugly, bar a few exceptions. …Yes a woman without makeup is automatically ugly, bar a few exceptions. Natural beauty is very rare and besides whether or not you agree from a man's perspective it is true.I agree that the 'geordie shore' look is also awful with the tangerine skin and thick caterpillar brows.Not many women you see in day to day can effectively put on make up, they either don't bother and look like a minger or look like a drag queen when they apply it, as in a man's version of what he thinks a woman's makeup looks like.

i wouldn't go as far as saying that women look ugly if they don't wear make up. most just look ordinary but look beautiful when they wear make up (if they apply make up correctly that is). putting on make up is an art, if you want to look good. putting on make up willy nilly actually make you look worse!

i have friends who aren't beautiful but when they put make up on, blooming heck, they look so pretty. my mum is like that, she is pretty, but not outstandingly so, but when she wears make up and dresses up, she looks absolutely beautiful and everyone looks at her as soon as she walks into a room. all courtesy of make up and beautiful clothes
mutley117 m ago

i wouldn't go as far as saying that women look ugly if they don't wear …i wouldn't go as far as saying that women look ugly if they don't wear make up. most just look ordinary but look beautiful when they wear make up (if they apply make up correctly that is). putting on make up is an art, if you want to look good. putting on make up willy nilly actually make you look worse!i have friends who aren't beautiful but when they put make up on, blooming heck, they look so pretty. my mum is like that, she is pretty, but not outstandingly so, but when she wears make up and dresses up, she looks absolutely beautiful and everyone looks at her as soon as she walks into a room. all courtesy of make up and beautiful clothes

33340752-gXmWI.jpg
Yes makeup being worn does make a difference. Except not quite the way you think.
If applied to accentuate natural features and done tastefully it can look very nice. Some women get away with wearing barely any if at all.

Where makeup or not makes all the difference is the way over applied look. I personally find it hard to speak to someone if they have applied make up with a builder’s trowel.

I get that it is a confidence thing and that it can be used to cover up poor complexions , especially during the teenage years and that time of the month. Unfortunately it can have a detrimental effect on the skin and make it a self defeating spiral of cause and effect.

If only as a society we could move away from the ‘fake’ looks and be who we are. Don’t get me wrong I’m behind doing up for a special occasion, it should just look natural.
benrobertsno11 h, 56 m ago

Yes a woman without makeup is automatically ugly, bar a few exceptions. …Yes a woman without makeup is automatically ugly, bar a few exceptions. Natural beauty is very rare and besides whether or not you agree from a man's perspective it is true.I agree that the 'geordie shore' look is also awful with the tangerine skin and thick caterpillar brows.Not many women you see in day to day can effectively put on make up, they either don't bother and look like a minger or look like a drag queen when they apply it, as in a man's version of what he thinks a woman's makeup looks like.

Makeup is not magic... if you're not attractive already no makeup in the world can perform a miracle. It's just a tool to enhance features etc. The pretty features have to be there already for makeup to make you look nice.

If a woman actually looks like a man, she can put on all the makeup she wants, she won't look like a beautiful woman. She'll just look passable maybe.

The thing is you rarely see attractive women wear no makeup so you're conditioned to think makeup is what makes them attractive in the first place.

Saying "ugly" or that "they look like men" (LOL) is ridiculous, like I said. You could say maybe "ordinary" like Mutley said. Maybe you just don't know any naturally attractive women to say that lol.

For what it's worth, my male partner isn't agreeing with you
Edited by: "hearts22" 27th Feb
hearts222 h, 16 m ago

Makeup is not magic... if you're not attractive already no makeup in the …Makeup is not magic... if you're not attractive already no makeup in the world can perform a miracle. It's just a tool to enhance features etc. The pretty features have to be there already for makeup to make you look nice. If a woman actually looks like a man, she can put on all the makeup she wants, she won't look like a beautiful woman. She'll just look passable maybe. The thing is you rarely see attractive women wear no makeup so you're conditioned to think makeup is what makes them attractive in the first place. Saying "ugly" or that "they look like men" (LOL) is ridiculous, like I said. You could say maybe "ordinary" like Mutley said. Maybe you just don't know any naturally attractive women to say that lol. For what it's worth, my male partner isn't agreeing with you

He is your partner so he wouldn't. Tbh even if he did agree he's not gonna rock the boat and say you look terrible without makeup is he!.
In this day and age real 'men' are a dying breed what with pc, fem libs etc so what he says and what he means may be two different things.
As for natural beauty I disagree with them still wearing lots of makeup, I believe it's called the nude look but imo this is where real beauty shines. Just enough to highlight natural features but barely there.
A woman wearing make up applied correctly looks amazing and feels amazing giving a confident aura which in turn makes social interactions a lot more positive.
When a woman looks beautiful she deserves to be told but equally when she looks like s**t then she needs to be told.
Thing is you're not a man so as one I can say I find women wearing no makeup ugly. There really aren't many women who are naturally feminine and beautiful hence why makeup companies do so well, Equally as a woman if you see a guy unshaven, hair dishevelled etc then you can say he's a dog, unless you like a bit of scruff.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants